Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Questions for OSMP trail runners

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby monmon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:03 pm

I like my Yak Traks.

I hit the trail in Evergreen off of Brgen Pkwy...I didn't even wear my trail shoes and did fine on it. It was actually quite beautiful and has a lot of challenging hills (in my, usually run in flat Denver, opinion.)
"I will never be the woman with the perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:17 pm

If it's top to bottom snow and ice, then screw shoes are the way to go. If it's just patchy stuff, like it is now, then YakTraks or similar.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:03 pm

These are my screw shoes:

And this is how to make them:
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

They are brilliant, and they really work! They actually work much better than YakTrax. I put in hundreds of miles on them last winter during that nasty snowy period.

They suck on rock though, so that's why I mentioned if there is good coverage, then they are worth it.

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:58 pm

I'd recommend 3/8" hex screws, I think that #6 is a good size, or maybe it was #8 I can't remember.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:25 pm

If you do try YakTrax, make sure you get the Pro version with the velcro strap, as the ones w/o tend to go flying off into the woods sometimes, I have heard.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby JDgreen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:11 pm

I am going to try the screw shoes this winter. Yak traks are ok but they kind of rub the top of my toes on long runs. If you are feeling cashy and expect lots of ice runs there are these....
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp? ... s3=MR921BK

Postby 2_Salukis » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:52 am

Chris Gerber wrote:These are my screw shoes:

Cool! A Screw Shoe Gallery.

I use 3/8" near the toe, where the midsole is thinner. 1/2" work fine everywhere else. They really do give better traction and a more secure feel. Nice, cheap, and easy.

My wife uses the YakTrak Pro, and likes them just fine. One advantage is that she doesn't have to bring a 2nd pair in case we decide to go somewhere before or after the run.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:58 am

2_Salukis wrote:One advantage is that she doesn't have to bring a 2nd pair in case we decide to go somewhere before or after the run.

You only wear them on your hardwood floors once... I learned that one the hard way! :lol: :lol:

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 am

I added a few screws to a mostly worn-out pair of boots. They work really well on icy trails, but I don't trust them for longer hikes (they're worn-out, after all...) Don't put screws directly under the ball of your foot, since you'll feel the point.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Next