Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camera

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Camera

Postby metalliryan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:20 pm

I am thinking of purchasing the Pentax K10D and was wondering if anyone has this camera and could tell me what they think of it. From everything I read and reviews it looks to be the best SLR for the money. Any info would be great. 8)

Pretty Good

Postby Falcon3 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:58 pm

I don't know a ton about this camera, but it looks to be pretty solid. Hard to beat that price with image stabilization and 10.2 mp. However, I'd still take a hard look at the Nikon D40. Its a little cheaper, and you can use that money to buy another lens. Remember, a camera is only a light box. The quality of the picture comes from the lens attached to it.

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:14 am

As with the above poster I'm no expert in photography, but I've been using a Nikon D40 for a little bit and have been very happy with it. From most of the people I talked to they said that the lenses matter as much if not more than the actual camera body. My understanding is that vibration reduction is only really needed for the stronger magnifications(it's very useful on my 200mm).
Any way you go, get out enjoy the outdoors and take lots of pictures.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby metalliryan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:22 am

Yeah the Nikon D40 is no doubt a good camera. One of the things I liked about the K10D is that it has 72 seals in it. So you have that extra assurance that nothing will get inside the camera. I haven't had the chance to hold the K10D but the Nikon D40 was very nice.

RAW compatibility

Postby pouceo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:49 am

Last time I heard about Pentax, their RAW format wasn't supported by Mac, so if you have one watch out.

Personally, I'm probably going to get a Canon Rebel XTI (400D). Mostly because of cost (college student) and the fact that I already have EOS lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com is also a good site to check out for prices and such.

---edit---
I've also heard by some that the Canons are better in low light compared to the Nikons if that matters to you, but I'm not here to start a Canon/Nikon fight :wink:

Postby Cruiser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:55 am

I picked up an Olympus EVolt E500 with the 14-45 and 40-150 lenses recently. So far I have been really pleased with it. I paid about $500 for it on Amazon, which was a pretty good price from what I've seen so far. Image quality is great with both lenses. Now I'm really looking forward to a time when there is some deep snow in the high country so that I can really start using it for the back country skiing action pics.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby metalliryan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:29 pm

Well I decided I am going to wait on getting the Pentax K10D. After some thought I went with getting the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8. It will be easier for my girlfriend to use and it was better at suiting are budget for this Christmas. It offers a lot for a good price (BH Photo $249). So I cant weight to get it and start taking some good pictures.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/fz8.html