Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestions on trail running shoes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby cbusman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:16 am

My favorite trail runner/light hikers are from Nike ACG (All Conditions Gear). I am very, very impressed with all versions of these I have owned. I have been through at least 4 different models and usually buy 2-4 pairs at a time. My current favorite is the Nike Air Trail Pegasus Plus. I also have the Bandolier which is very lightweight with a Vibram sole.
http://www.altrec.com/outdoors/nike/men ... ningshoes/
http://www.altrec.com/outdoors/nike/hiking-footwear/

Postby Dr. Worm » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 am

Montrail's Hardrock. That's been my favorite for the last few years.
La Sportiva Pikes Peak are fairly similar, but they didn't seem as durable.

I've hiked 14ers in them and ran on trails. I'd say they are better for 14ers and probably too heavy for hardcore trail runners, especially if you're racing.

Postby JDgreen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:32 pm

I have the following or have worn them out.
La Sportiva Barr Trail, a little too stiff to run in, ok to hike in but could use more cushion, scramble pretty well with semi sticky sole, treacherous when wet though.narrow width
Mizuno Ascends great to run in, wore mine out mostly running dirt roads. Not enough rock plate for really rocky terrain imho. narrow width
Montrail Odessy, ok to run hybrid street trail, woudn't want to hike rough terrain, sole a little slick. med/narrow width
I tried on some La Sportiva Pikes Peak and Montrail Hardrocks this weekend. The hardrocks seemed stiffer and had a more substantial rock plate but the Pikes peak seemed to have more cushion but no experience outside of the store. I think I could run the Pikes Peak but would rather hike sharp rocks in the Montrail.
My run shoes are pretty shot in 3-4 months, cushion is pretty much mashed out even though appearance is not too bad.
Last edited by JDgreen on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HylianHero » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:33 am

robinmtns wrote: I'm thinking that HH is specifically asking about trail runners for hiking, not actually running, but correct me if I'm wrong. Used as such, and because of the lack of the pounding associated with running, I believe these shoes/light boots should last much longer, basically as long as the tread wear is acceptable. The guts of the inner shoe don't break down nearly as fast when the running-pounding isn't there.

Yeah, this is true. I'm not terribly much of a runner as of yet, but I just think that my feet would be much more comfortable in a pair of trail shoes rather than boots. Thanks for all the suggestions on brands and things, I'll definitely try a lot of them out.

And yes, the running stores in Fort Collins are not too terribly great. I tried to get some shoes from there last year and it didn't end up so well. Ended up going to the Boulder Running Company by my parents house.
frannyzoo wrote: I don't know much Spanish, but I'm pretty sure Jorge Julio is Spanish for George Two-Run Homer.

Postby coloradokevin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:07 am

HylianHero wrote:
robinmtns wrote: I'm thinking that HH is specifically asking about trail runners for hiking, not actually running, but correct me if I'm wrong. Used as such, and because of the lack of the pounding associated with running, I believe these shoes/light boots should last much longer, basically as long as the tread wear is acceptable. The guts of the inner shoe don't break down nearly as fast when the running-pounding isn't there.

Yeah, this is true. I'm not terribly much of a runner as of yet, but I just think that my feet would be much more comfortable in a pair of trail shoes rather than boots. Thanks for all the suggestions on brands and things, I'll definitely try a lot of them out.

And yes, the running stores in Fort Collins are not too terribly great. I tried to get some shoes from there last year and it didn't end up so well. Ended up going to the Boulder Running Company by my parents house.

One shoe I use as a cross between a shoe and a boot is the Vasque Kota XCR. Great shoe for me so far, and has served me through a lot of varied terrain in the past 8 months (mud in the east, rocks and snow in Colorado, and sand and water on Kauai).

I like the Salomon line as far as weight/comfort is concerned, but their stupid lace system sucks something awful... Don't get me wrong, the shoes go on fast, and stay on well enough, but I probably broke through five sets of their "indestructible" laces on each shoe with my last set (and it isn't like you can just replace these things in a couple of seconds with a generic lace). That aside, I liked these trail shoes a LOT otherwise!

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:16 am

coloradokevin wrote:Don't get me wrong, the shoes go on fast, and stay on well enough, but I probably broke through five sets of their "indestructible" laces on each shoe with my last set (and it isn't like you can just replace these things in a couple of seconds with a generic lace).

I keep hearing this, but personally have never broken quick laces. I've owned 4 pairs of Salomon XAs, maybe I'm just lucky. You actually can replace the laces, REI used to replace them for free(if you bought them there), not sure on their policy now a days.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Location: Williamsburg and Wintergreen, Virginia; Dillon, Colorado

Postby mattsmithva » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58 am

I had a problem with the earlier generation Salomon kevlar speedlaces, which wouldn't stay tight over the course of a run. I would think they have since solved the problem but have not tried them again.
Matt Smith
Wintergreen, Virginia

Postby mtgirl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:39 am

mattsmithva wrote:I had a problem with the earlier generation Salomon kevlar speedlaces, which wouldn't stay tight over the course of a run. I would think they have since solved the problem but have not tried them again.

Give these LockLaces a try. I replace all the laces in my running and hiking shoes with this lacing system. Never had a problem with them coming loose or breaking - and I've used them in at least 10-15 pairs of shoes. Also, it's easy to make quick adjustments (like loosening them during long runs/hikes when your feet swell).

http://locklaces.com/
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby dustj » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:44 am

Just my two cents, but I would stay away from The North Face. My soles lasted about two weeks before they began to fall apart.
A voice is calling, "clear the way for the Lord in the wilderness"
-Isaiah 40:3

Postby mtgirl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:51 am

dustj wrote:Just my two cents, but I would stay away from The North Face. My soles lasted about two weeks before they began to fall apart.

I totally agree with you ! The worst trail running shoes I've owned are from The North Face. Chunks of tread fell off, and I actually wore a hole in the sole of the shoe within a month of use. Friends have reported the same problems.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby pbakwin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:29 am

Try the Sportiva Imogenes when they come on the market
in Feb. Sticky rubber is great on the harder peaks.
PB

Postby COmedic04 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:32 am

This suggestion will be a little different from the rest, and keep in mind that I'm planning to purchase a pair of Salomans next round of trail runners I get, but I HIGHLY recommend New Balance All-Terrain trail runners. I have gone through 3 pairs over the last 5 or 6 years and love them. I climbed Little Bear in them!!! :shock: :shock: (honestly, was a mistake; meant to bring along my Vasque boots, but forgot them and wasn't about to let that stop me from climbing the NW face, and they did great!!) Anyway, just a thought. Also, keep in mind that New Balances are much cheaper than other trail running options; they cost around $45 or so, compared with over $100 for most others! They probably won't keep your feet as warm in the winter months as some others with GoreTex, but honestly, I don't like my feet to get too hot!
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Previous