Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowshoe sizes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Snowshoe sizes

Postby Drummer Dude » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:14 pm

I am going to a used sporting goods sale tomorrow, and I am hoping to pick up some snowshoes. I've only borrowed or rented in the past, and I'm not real familiar with how to size them. I weigh 173 and figure I might add another 10 pounds with winter clothing, boots,backpack etc--. What size should I be looking for? Any special features that are recommended? I'm not a hardcore winter hiker who would be climbing fourteeners with them, (avalanche danger scares the crap out of me), but I would like to get out into the safer areas of the backcountry more often. Any recommendations?

Postby summitrunner » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Don't buy a pair of running/racing snowshoes. They are small and only useful on packed trails. They have no flotation. They are super light though!

Dan the Mountain Man loves MSRs and he suggested those to me. They look like a great product. Crescent Moons were suggested to me by Talus Monkey. I like Crescent Moons because there are made in Boulder and they back up their Gold Line with a lifetime warranty. I own a pair of Gold Series 12 (22"x8", 2 lbs 10 oz for the pair) that are great for running and I enjoy them.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby grizz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:28 pm

I like Atlas. I think snowshoes are rated/sized by the amount of weight they will be supporting. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, last winter was a long time ago. Each weight class can adjust too many different sizes. I purchased a new Atlas pair last season with the improved grip teeth and they work very well for what I do. If you ever plan on doing 14ers be sure to get a pair with an ascend bar. If you ever plan on doing winter camping make sure to take the extra weight into consideration. Maybe rent a few pairs from REI before you make a purchase. Floatation is key, obviously. Personally I prefer a pair that is rated a little on the heavy side.

Some people love MSR, some people love Atlas, so on and so on.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by grizz on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Native

Postby tress » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:01 pm

I second the MSR suggestion, some have a place on the back that you can add another piece that would make the shoe longer and thus more able to "float" w/ extra wieght. I believe they are Denali...I at work so cant check but MSR are sweet and can be used for a variety of expeditions

Postby Hunter » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:03 am

Are there any manufacturers who make magnesium or titanium frames?

Postby grizz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:52 am

Double post.
Colorado Native

Postby lodidodi » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:12 am

I have 30" atlas ones that work fine for normal snowshoeing and I weigh 185. You might be able to get away with 25" but I would go with 30". I'll prob get a better pair when I get some $$$.