Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I need a new jacket

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby JQDivide » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:10 pm

Have you seen God in His splendors, heard the text that nature renders? (You'll never hear it in the family pew).
The simple things, the true things, the silent men who do things -- Then listen to the Wild -- it's calling you.
R.W.Service

Postby ADKben » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:09 am

regarding arcteryx...they aren't really THAT much more expensive than other brands that use similar fabrics. For example, their new Gore-Tex Pro Shell jacket(s)...the alpha SV is $600, the alpha LT is $500...but mountain hardwear's new pro-shell, the beryllium, is $450, the argon is $425. Additionally, the North Face's Modulus Jacket, same fabric used, is $499, and their stitchless fountainhead is $449. All use gore-tex pro-shell fabric. So, really its the fabric used that makes the difference in prices. Arcteryx uses all gore-tex fabrics for their hard-shells, that is why they come across as "soo expensive" they dont use a proprietary fabric, like TNF uses (hyvent) or marmot uses (precip) or mountain hardwear uses (conduit)..all those fabrics are inferior IMO to gore-tex and their price reflects it.
Last edited by ADKben on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hunter » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:00 am

-
Last edited by Hunter on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mountainhardwear junkie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm

The exposure II is a great coat for the money. I have had mine for five years and it is still bomber. It is heavier than more modern (expensive) coats, but you can't beat it for the money. I believe that conduit is a fine fabric, especially for a winter shell. How often do you need something that will stand up to a commercial car wash in Colorado?

Previous