Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rain fly needed in winter months?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Rain fly needed in winter months?

Postby Prairie Native » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:22 pm

i have a four season tent and im curious as to if the rain fly is a MUST for winter? it would still hold up great due to 4 season design. ive got a good enough sleeping bag to negate any heat reduction. will snow somehow melt through? (the rain fly is a pain to stake out in snow and i would like to get rid of more wieght.) id be losing my vestibules but it would pitch in about 2 min instead of 10. im just not sure about the inside tent material being strong enough.
Something witty.

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Yep, still necessary. the tent body material isn't waterproof and can get damp and freeze(combo of body heat and snow). Also it's not very windproof, while the fly is. Basically the tent fly is the waterproof, windproof, and strong outter shell.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby strat1080 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 pm

IMO, you are much better off using a bivy sack than a 4-season tent without a fly. The entire point of a 4-season tent is the protection it gives from wind and moisture. Without the fly you are packing a lot of needless weight.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:49 pm

the vestibles are always nice to have!! Plus, as it will take less time to set-up, your camping, you got something better to do for that ten minutes?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby altitudesick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:05 am

NM

Postby icenrock » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:17 pm

dang skippy they are! unless you like being wet an or frozen... if its a high end mountaineering tent, weight wont be that big of issue.. but to answer the ?. YES
"hummmm... is that ice screw suppossed to do that....