Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

tent and sleeping bag suggestions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

tent and sleeping bag suggestions

Postby bigvibes » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:25 am

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the best 0 degree down sleeping bag and 2 person light tent out there (under $500 for the bag, under $300 for the tent). I'm looking for ones that have good space to them but are still fairly light.

Postby dustj » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:00 am

As far as tents go, I love my Hubba Hubba (MSR). It's right at the $300 mark. It's light and roomy for a two-person. I've been in about every possible weather condition in it and it has stood up great. Also, it has two doors and two vestibules.
A voice is calling, "clear the way for the Lord in the wilderness"
-Isaiah 40:3

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:25 am

sleeping bags... check out Big Agnus
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:44 am

Tent depends largely on your application...

As far as sleeping bags go, you'd be hard pressed to beat Western Mountaineering... I'd recommend a down bag at that temperature rating (warmer, more compressible, longer lasting, and lighter).

You should be able to get one of their bags for around the price you are looking at, depending on features (dryloft shell will typically add $100, if you want it... and colder rated bags are typically proportionatly more expensive).

http://www.westernmountaineering.com

I have their Puma SDL bag (an older model that carries a -20F rating, not their new one that has the -25F rating), and an old +38 degree summer bag they used to make. My wife has the Dakota SDL, which is a precursor to the Lynx bag they now sell (her bag is rated to -5F). We've both found their bag ratings to be very conservative, and my wife is a very cold sleeper. In fact, I've actually slept in just my briefs at -20F and been comfortable in my winter bag! As they say, you get what you pay for.

Also, although I don't have personal experiences with the company, I've also heard that Feathered Friends is on par with Western Mountaineering!

Postby PKelley » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:46 am

I think that Western Mountaineering sleeping bags and Bibler tents are great, but that may be beyond your budget. I say, think about having good gear for the next twenty years and divide the cost in your mind.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby Lhotse » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:48 pm

I have a Kelty 0 degree bag, bought it for $159 about 5 years ago. I know Kelty normally doesnt make the best products, but I am very impressed with it. Have slept in -27 weather and was warm all night. I am a cold sleeper though and that makes a difference sometimes.
"Tommorrow Is Promised to No One" ..Walter Payton...Brian Rush

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:35 pm

Anyone have comments on the Marmot Sawtooth?
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby bigvibes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:53 am

Yup, I'm totally thinking about getting a Western Mountaineering bag. But any opinions on the Dryloft? Is the cheaper material water resistant at least? I don't sleep outside much so I don't need some totally waterproof material

Postby coloradokevin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:36 pm

bigvibes wrote:Yup, I'm totally thinking about getting a Western Mountaineering bag. But any opinions on the Dryloft? Is the cheaper material water resistant at least? I don't sleep outside much so I don't need some totally waterproof material

Dryloft has pros and cons like anything else

I have dryloft on my -20F bag, and Julie has a dryloft shell on her -5F bag. When we got these bags we purchased them with the consideration that we may use them in snow caves or otherwise moist environments, in addition to the tent-bound Colorado trips. Plus, I do sort of like the extra security it provides for accidental water bottle spills, week-long trips of dripping condensation in the tent, etc.

At the same time, dryloft bags are a bit more tricky to stuff (I always turn mine inside out as it helps to get the air out of the bag). They are more expensive, and I imagine that the fabric weighs a slight bit more. Also, just like any other laminate material, they don't breath quite as well as the uncoated fabric (though I've never had issues with this). Many people consider dryloft to be overkill in Colorado (due in part to our cold dry weather). Still, I've been happy with my dryloft bag :)

Postby lodidodi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:23 pm

I don't have a 0 bag but I have a 30 degree bag and wear layers if I get too cold. It's the Marmot Hydrogen long and it's really nice. I got it a few years ago when they made 900 fill. They cut costs and now their highest fill is 850+. They do make warmer bags for what your looking for.

Re: tent and sleeping bag suggestions

Postby Glacier Man » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:31 pm

bigvibes wrote:I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the best 0 degree down sleeping bag and 2 person light tent out there (under $500 for the bag, under $300 for the tent). I'm looking for ones that have good space to them but are still fairly light.

I have had great success with my hubba hubba tent and Big agnes Encampment bag. Even though rated to 15 degrees I have been able to get more out of it with layering.

Postby mtnview » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Western Mountainnering Ultra Lite good to 20F 1lb 15oz around $345.

Second the Hubba Hubba around 4lbs

Also consider Henry Shires Double Rainbow Tarptent $250 around 2.5lbs

http://www.tarptent.com

Allan
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Next