Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tubbs Snowshoes?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby gdthomas » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 pm

Bean wrote:All snowshoes everywhere suck.

Skis + skins + ski crampons (if necessary) + regular crampons (if necessary) will get you anywhere you need to go.

Fine. But this thread is about snowshoes.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 am

gdthomas wrote:

Skis + skins + ski crampons (if necessary) + regular crampons (if necessary) will get you anywhere you need to go.

Not to mention that there are some of us who don't ski (shocking, I know).
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Kiefer

Re: Tubbs Snowshoes?

Postby Kiefer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:28 am

coloradokevin wrote:Just thought I'd see if any of my fellow climbers have had personal experiences (good or bad) with Tubbs snowshoes?

I've been using MSR snowshoes for a quite a few years now, and have had some experience with Atlas shoes in the past. While I'm happy with the overall performance of my current Denali Evo Ascent shoes, I'm not happy with their flotation when I'm burdened with a heavy winter pack (even with the tails!).

Thus, I'm kind of starting to look for a second set of snowshoes... I've been intrigued by the two shoes at the top of the Tubbs line, though I think they are changing the name and design a bit this year (I think they may have been the Ridgeline and Mountain, or someting... and now they are the Mountaineer and couloir?).

Anyway, I'm looking for a shoe with good performance in the steep and deep, and it needs to be large enough to handle my weight of 165lbs plus an overnight winter pack (thus, I am figuring at least a full width 30 inch shoe... and in my experiences the Evo won't cut it for this particular task in a Colorado snowpack, even with tails).

As I said, I otherwise love the performance of my current snowshoes, they just won't handle the weight for some of my more serious trips.

So, any thoughts on Tubbs?

I STILL have a pair of Tubbs shoes that I bought at EMS when they were in Fort Collins. This was in 1996. I've since sent them in once to be re-strapped, I've re-strapped them once myself and have sharpened the crampons on the bottom three times! And you know what? They STILL rock!
In comparison, I owned a pair of Redfeather runners that lasted me all but one season. I'll never buy Redfeather again. I do however, plan on purchasing a smaller pair of Tubbs' newer shoes, the 1030, new this year. I believe they were voted Outside mag. editor's choice (the 1230 model).

Postby Jcwhite » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:33 am

VWLover wrote:
gdthomas wrote:

How unfortunate for you
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby gme » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:09 pm

I admit Redfeathers do seem a little flimsy. My 16-year old daughter has them; they do fine for her for light-weight use (she is also A LOT lighter than me). I see them in use a lot in competitions where snowshoes are, of course, required by the rules, but you could in theory run on the packed or icy surface in your boots or even running shoes. So I really can't speak for their flotation, but I strongly suspect that they are lacking there.

my .02 cents

Postby icenrock » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:11 pm

just my .02 cents, but I spend ALOT of time on snow shoes, and have tried alot of brands... If you go very steep at all or on ice snow...
MSR! And high end at that.. :lol:
"hummmm... is that ice screw suppossed to do that....

Postby CorduroyCalves » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Jcwhite wrote:
VWLover wrote:
gdthomas wrote:

How unfortunate for you

I've had more than a few people tell me that but I always go back to this:

1. there are other things I enjoy doing during the winter
2. there are simply other things on which I'd rather spend money

Who knows, maybe I'll try it some day, but I have fun doing what I'm doing for now.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Previous