Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Recommend a good hiking hat for sun exposure?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Recommend a good hiking hat for sun exposure?

Postby Buckeye » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm trying to find a good quality, recommended hiking hat. I've always worn a ball cap but with my fair skin I think its time to finally find better coverage for the sun. Recommend any hats that provide good coverage but don't interfere with your pack, stay on your head, and don't look dorky?

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:32 pm

Go to REI and try some on. They have lots. Look for one that has UV protection and a string to keep it on on windy days.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby iceman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:43 am

Here is my favorite summer hiking hat. Pretty pricey but has a lifetime guarantee.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId= ... ductNo=LT6

Postby Presto » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:22 am

Boonie hat from Army surplus store.

I agree, G! I think I paid about $18 ... not enough to cry about if something happens to it. I spray mine with waterproofing, the brim is wide enough to protect my neck, there's ventilation around your head.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby gsliva » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:01 am

My personal favorite. Tested by the famouse Talus Monkey!

http://www.14ers.com/talusmonkey.html
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:48 am

I really like my North Face Breeze Brimmer. I strongly recommend a good hat like this--PLUS sunscreen: I had a pre-cancerous spot removed from my ear a few years back. I feel that I have been duly warned!
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby changingground » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:54 am

gsliva wrote:My personal favorite. Tested by the famouse Talus Monkey!

http://www.14ers.com/talusmonkey.html
Um, the purple hat, or the Tilley style?

That'd be a sure-fire way of identifying 14er.com members- If everyone took up wearing those purple hats. Oy!

Postby CO Native » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 am

For sun protection I like the Columbia Booney

http://www.rei.com/product/646963

Nice vents, not as hot as the waterproof ones, and a 30+ upf rating.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby JayMiller » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:28 pm

I have an Outdoor Research Bucket (now the Element Bucket). I find it breaths well and works quite well in the rain. I have enjoyed it more that my Tilley.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby JeffR » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:01 pm

Another vote for the Columbia boonie. I also like the wicking headband that keeps the quarts of nastiness off my head.

Postby roozers42 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Recommend any hats that...don't look dorky?

This has always been my problem with them. I just can't pull it off! I load up with the 45 sunscreen and wear a breathable ballcap most of the time. The only person I've known that made the hat work was TalusMonkey...

Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:59 pm

and don't look dorky?

To me, skin cancer is a lot dorkier looking than the hats. Most of us on this site are hiking at 14,000 feet, doing it as often as we can, usually aiming for the fairest (i.e, sunniest) days we can get, and probably not looking to die young.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Next