Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cheap Packs- Are they ok?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Cheap Pack

Postby Greenhouseguy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:14 pm

The pack isn't what gets you to the top.

I watched REI Outlet and Sierra Trading until I saw a bargain that I couldn't refuse, then I upgraded. Never pay retail! I still use this $20 Fieldline pack (from Wal-Mart) for shorter day hikes. It's durable and has some nice features.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby ShadyHater69 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 pm

I hiked with my middle school backpack until like a year ago. Then, a good friend sold me his North Face daypack for $20. I honestly haven't noticed that big of a difference (except that there is a little pouch for my camelback). I rarely use the gazillion straps on my "new" backapack. If you're only hiking 3 times a year on moderate stuff, there's no need to shell out big money when a simple backpack will do. Just one man's opinion.
White man: "Fluctuations"
Asian man: "Fluck you white guys too!"

Postby kb466 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Having been a hiker for many years and having gone through a number of packs, here is my view of things: You shouldn't automatically reject a pack because it is cheaply priced. I have seen a lot of crap that was cheaply priced, but I have seen crap that was expensive brand-name merchandise. In other words, do not buy a pack because of the prestigious brand name and the high price. You should compare the features, comfort and the quality of construction-- and if it is cheaply priced, all the better. It sounds like the Walmart packs lack the features you want, such as waist and/or chest straps. I would say keep shopping. I feel certain there are reasonably priced packs available that will meet your needs.

Postby metalliryan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 am

You may want to check out High Sierra packs. I was on a limited budget and needed a pack with 5000cu in, for a multi day trek on the Appalachian Trail. I got the Long Trail 90 off rei outlet for $68, MSRP $200 or more. It work out like a charm and has I the features that I needed. I would check out there web sight and see what your interested in and shop around for it.

http://www.highsierrasport.com/ProductMain.jspx

Previous