Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tech Friends vs. Camalots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby cushman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:11 pm

cushman wrote:True, I would rather use a 4 cam unit than a 3. I have the 4 smallest TCUs, when I need to supplement I will probably buy Aliens.

Dude, don't buy the Aliens, wait for the new Metolius Master Cams coming out in the Spring. Check out this post from the outdoor retailer show.

They look pretty sweet! Coming out in the spring!
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

Postby gurlyclimber » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 pm

PKelley wrote:I have some first-hand knowledge about the Alien recall. The recall was very specific, and the cause of the failures is known. The newer cams that are being made are good - trust me.

I agree. I swear by yellow and green!

Picking your rack really depends on what type of climbing you'll be doing more, Indian Creek, Alpine, Eldo, Lumpy, etc. . . There is so much good stuff to chose from it is almost overwhelming.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby Two Headed Boy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:11 pm

I have a set of Trango cams and BD cams (with some doubles) and BD is far superior to Trango. I never place the Trangos at crux's I am trying to protect because I don't trust them compared to BD. As far as placement goes BD fit in a larger size range of cracks than anything I've used. I used TCU's for micros but I have heard first hand from someone who was at the 2007 trade show in SLC that the new Metolius Master cams are incredible so I am holding out for those to come out before I spice up my micros. I hardly ever used micros until I started climbing in the Flatirons.

Postby stevepack » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the good info. Not sure what I'm going to go with yet, but I have some good information.

Bentgate has Tech Friends for $44 and Camalots starting at $47 :D

Gurlyclimber....I'll be sure and keep my Friends well lubed, less chafing that way! :twisted: :shock:
I prefer hypoxia to humidity.

Previous