Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Headlamp Needed?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Headlamp Needed?

Postby Kojones » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 pm

If you are ever curious as to when you should start hiking and stop hiking without needing a headlamp, this site is great for giving calculated twilight on both ends (not to mention sunrise, sunset, and moon fullness - good for hiking by moonlight):

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

Enjoy,
Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby sgladbach » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:20 pm

I had to delete my post. I mis-read what you were saying and told you Never to leave the headlamp behind. I should have known the members on this site are too smart to do that!
Last edited by sgladbach on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:29 pm

That is a neat site. I like how you can easily compare moon transit to twilight.

Even on a night without much moon, you can often hike without using a headlamp if you let your eyes adjust. A flashlight of some sort is one of the essentials, of course.

Postby Kojones » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:10 am

Good point on being able to hike in the dark as long as your eyes adjust. You can often see farther into the dark woods without a headlamp than with one.

Kojones

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 am

Here is the full year version of that same page: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php and all sorts of other neat info from the home page http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/

Here's another page I like for printing out one month at a time that also allows lat long input: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp

The web certainly is wonderful for researching the info you want / need!

headlamp

Postby climber with a k » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:43 pm

The headlamp is one of the very few pieces of gear that I consider essential. It hardly weighs a thing and can often be the single factor separating a simply long day from a full blown epic. I won't leave home without it.
Any day in the mountains from which you come home tired, dirty, hungry, thirsty, with a little too much sun and in one piece is nothing short of perfect.

Postby ktimm » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:43 pm

I've been getting into running at night (or in the morning before the sun). I carry a headlamp but usually have it off after my eyes adjust. It's kinda cool and sureal especially with these clear skies we've been having

Postby Kojones » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:10 pm

For clarification... I suggest taking a headlamp on even short hikes started in the morning. I take one with me to climb Mt. Morrison behind Red Rocks "just in case."

This post was to point out a good research site (and the replies have included some other good ones.

Certainly take a headlamp on all your hikes, and especially 14ers, 13ers, and longer day hikes (not to mention overnights).

Happy Hiking...
Kojones

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:36 am

I carry the headlamp all the time, but often find that I see better without one depending on moonlight and how close to sunrise it is. Full moon hikes I even find that I cast a shadow from the moonlight! In particular I notice the peripheral vision is better, with a headlamp on its easier to miss trail junctions (I have done that twice) because it is too dark to either side of you.

I would never leave the headlamp behind though, for one if you are lost and its dark you can use it to help signal rescuers as to your whereabouts.