Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Custom sewn slings

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Custom sewn slings

Postby stevepack » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:12 am

Does anyone know where I can get some custom slings sewn? I'm looking for someplace I can have slings bartacked to custom lengths for climbing runners. I'm mainly looking for a shop in the US or Canada.

I haven't been able to find 9/16" supertape slings and thought I'd buy a spool and have some sewn. :D
I prefer hypoxia to humidity.

Postby firsttracks » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:04 am

I'd suggest sewing them yourself. If you already have a spool of thread, just look for a heavy duty sewing machine at a garage sale or on ebay. (You'll need the heavy duty sewing needle.) Craig Connally describes this in detail (along with strength tests to prove your sewing worked well) in his book:

The Mountaineering Handbook

This book is a wealth of knowledge. It's basically "Freedom of the Hills" for the 21st century, with updated techniques and hints (such as sewing your own runners) backed up by scientific experiments.

Postby cushman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:30 am

firsttracks wrote:I'd suggest sewing them yourself.

Are you serious? As far as I know, bartacking webbing for climbing applications should only be done in an extremely controlled environment. Gear manufacturers use computer-controlled bartacking machines with special needles that don't cut the fibers in the webbing. Besides, how can you test your work? It would be very hard to ensure that each subsequent bartack is the same as the last - you'd have to test each individual loop to failure.

Tying slings would be more precise, but then you get a nice big knot in the middle of your sling. Russ Walling at Fish will do custom slings, I would trust his work over mine (in a climbing environment) any day of the week. It can't be more expensive than a custom bartacking machine.
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:38 am

I would try Yates Climbing Gear. They'll re-sling old cams so they might do other custom work too.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby firsttracks » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:58 pm

cushman wrote:
firsttracks wrote:I'd suggest sewing them yourself.

Are you serious?

That was my first thought, too! But, in the book, Connally goes on to test his "custom" slings, and it proved out.

Definitely do NOT climb on gear without first testing it. In this case, you'll want to test your thread pattern to failure to verify that you've come up with a good pattern. Then, stay consistent in your technique.