Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best climbing pack?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

What is the best moutaineering/climbing pack?

Osprey
36%
North Face
2%
Arc'teryx
7%
Lowe Alpine
2%
Marmot
2%
Other
50%

Total votes : 44

Re: Best climbing pack?

Postby cblsttrotwd » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:21 pm

Pika wrote: If you were buying a new pack, which one would you choose?

The one that fits! :wink:

Bring all the crap you climb with to the store and start loading up packs. Try on numerous packs from numerous brands. Make sure you can fit all your gear in the pack (or don't have too much space left over). May the best pack win.

That being said, I have met few people that didn't like the fit of Osprey packs.
--------
"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area"

Kelty

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:55 pm

To a certain extent, packs are a matter of preference. My Kelty Redwing 3100 has been a perfect pack for me. The side pockets and cinch straps hold my trekking poles securely. It has a daisy chain that works well for carrying my snowshoes. It has a big pocket that will hold just about any size or shape of hydration reservoir. There is an external map pocket and another pocket with a key clip and good organization for the 10 essentials. It has one external zippered pocket on each side; I use one for a latrine kit and the other for hat and glove storage. There are attachment points on the bottom and top for strapping a sleeping bag and pad. The 3100 cubic inches of storage gives me LOTS of room for rain gear, first aid kit, and extra layers. I've never entirely filled it; maybe that's why they call it a day-and-a-half bag. The downside would have to be that it isn't exactly a lightweight pack. It's designed for people with long torsos; they make a 2650 ci model for people with shorter torsos. If you're looking for an even smaller pack, the Kelty Redtail has all of the same features in a smaller size. I bought one for my wife. She says that she doesn't need a big pack, because it's MY job to carry the heavy stuff. :roll:
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby lodidodi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:19 pm

I use my camelbak rimrunner for most day trips but for weekend trips i use a gregory g-pack which has been good but I think I'm going to get an osprey because the hipbelt on the g-pack rubs my sides and starts hurting after a while.

Re: Best climbing pack?

Postby Gary Brady » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:27 pm

cblsttrotwd wrote:
Pika wrote: If you were buying a new pack, which one would you choose?

The one that fits! :wink:

Bring all the crap you climb with to the store and start loading up packs. Try on numerous packs from numerous brands. Make sure you can fit all your gear in the pack (or don't have too much space left over). May the best pack win.

That being said, I have met few people that didn't like the fit of Osprey packs.

I seriously think I will try this. I never thought about this concept, but hey I can't think of a better approach. Packs need to be comfortable and hold all your stuff.

Thanks!
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.

LL Bean Bigelow Day Pack

Postby Hiker Mike » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:42 pm

I have a slighty older version of this day pack from LL Bean that has served me quite well. It is slighty narrower than other day packs and it give me better freedom of movement plus it has enough cargo space for my needs. It got an award in 2006 from Backpacker magazine.

Mike

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... at=9197-tn
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker

Postby MountainHiker » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:35 pm

My daypack is an REI Alpine. It is a good size for extra clothes, accepts an ice axe or snowshoes, has side water bottle pockets in addition to a multi compartment back pocket, a full side to side zipper for the main compartment, cinch straps and places to strap extra things to the top and bottom if needed. I got about 15 seasons out of a similar style Kelty pack. Unfortunately the trend towards hydration bladders has caused side water bottle pockets to become harder to get. I won’t go to hydration bladders until my climbing partners make it a couple years without springing a leak or having the hose freeze up. (probably never?)

For multiple day I have a Gregory Whitney. I have it dialed in for riding on my hips with almost no weight on my back. It’s good for unzipping in enough places to get to what I need and has extra pockets. I forget the volume but it’s large enough to put everything inside without having things swinging around tied to it. Just learn to glance off into space when someone with a smaller pack asks “Does anyone have room for this?!”

One drawback of the large size is when I’m wearing a helmet and I have to look up, the helmet will hit against the pack. When I’m wearing a helmet I’m often in a place where I don’t want my pack getting in the way!

I’ve yet to see an overnight pack apparently designed by someone who actually backpacks. Why is the zipper on the top pocket always on the wrong side? I know there’s this theory you can reach up behind you while hiking and get stuff, but in practice that’s a good way to lose things & when you put the pack down the zipper is on the wrong side! Why not put a zipper on both sides?

I used to have a MountainSmith that was a top loader. I will never buy another top loader since when it’s all packed you can’t get to things.

Postby rlw49 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:52 pm

Osprey Atmos 50
The previous post about loading up packs and wearing them for a trial is right on. I went to REI flagship and loaded up several packs and walked around the store and up stairs. The Osprey fit better on me than other more expensive packs. Then look for the bells and whistles like straps, velcro loops, etc.
Good luck

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:57 pm

I really like the Osprey Stratos series. I have the 40, 32, and 24. The arched internal frame and mesh back make them all the most comfortable packs I've ever had. If necessary, I can really load these up and they still feel great on my back--very well balanced, no pressure points, no irritation from rubbing. They have 2 bladder options, but since I'm not fond of bladders, I don't use them and instead use the stretch side pockets for water bottles. Sturdy and comfortable.
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby ccunnin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:46 pm

I'm a Deuter fan. I love their packs. They fit me the right way and they have plenty of extra niceties on them.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Postby Adge Hale » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:40 pm

I vote for Dana Design
"While God's glory is written all over His work, in wilderness the letters are capitalized."
~John Muir

Postby roozers42 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:29 pm

Extended backpack - Arc'Teryx Bora 80
Winter pack/snow climbs - Cold Cold World Chernobyl
Day pack - Salomon Raid Revo 20 (adventure racing pack, not that I adventure race) - I've used this on days hikes on 13ers and 14ers as well as multi-pitch climbing routes. It weighs less than a pound.
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby Holy Schist » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:10 pm

I love the GoLite Infinity Pack (L).

Did a few overnighter's this year one with the 4 year old daughter where my wife and I split her gear. However, she did carry a few items in her Barbie square pack. Also did a 3 day trip in Chicago basin with Tent, Bag, food, clothes, and jet boil. It was stretched to the gills, but it did great and still had gear loops for an axe, umbrella and trekking poles. Great for Hiking Windom while there.

PreviousNext