Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Best climbing pack?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

What is the best moutaineering/climbing pack?

Osprey
36%
North Face
2%
Arc'teryx
7%
Lowe Alpine
2%
Marmot
2%
Other
50%

Total votes : 44

Best climbing pack?

Postby Gary Brady » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:42 am

I am new to 14ers. I currently use a North Face day pack when I climbing. I now realize I need to bring more gear with me for weather that I might encounter. I intend to climb all of 14ers. What pack does eveyone use? Why did you choose that pack? If you were buying a new pack, which one would you choose?

Thanks!
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.

Postby Joe Miner » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:56 am

I have a Black Diamond L35 Sphynx that has traveled all over the world with me and it can't be beat. BD makes a good selection that will provide a world of versatility.

Postby Yeti1 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:16 am

I've been very happy with Kelty products.
Less work, more play....

Postby CODave » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:24 am

I really like GoLite

Postby caad4rep » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:36 am

my favorite are the old school Dana Design packs. Tough to find but some good deals can still be found on Ebay. These packs are indestructible!

REI

Postby Bobo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 am

I have an REI Talus 35. It's hard to beat this pack. Roomy enough for large loads, compression straps for cinching in a smaller load, "compression flaps" for securing gear externally, hydration bladder sleeve, ski loop (w/ compression straps easily holds pair of skis), side zip to access stuff at the bottom of the pack. Did I mention that I bought it to replace a 20+ year old REI pack that was finally starting to show it's age (so this thing should last a long time)? Did I mention that it's REI, so it essentially has a life time warranty? Like I said, it's hard to beat this pack.

This isn't really a complaint about it, just a fact...this isn't the lightest day pack out there. If you're carrying it strapped to your overnight pack, or if you're an "ultralighter" you're carrying a little extra weight than you could get away with. Some light packers could probably overnight with the Talus 35 and avoid that problem.
"At this point the runner might philosophize a and consider just where he or she is in the Imogene Pass Run. You've climbed 1945 ft of elevation in 5.45 mi, at an average of 356 ft./mi., 6.8% gradient. To reach Imogene Pass you must climb 3365 ft in the next 4.60 mi, at an average of 731 ft./mi., or 13.85% gradient. Your effort so far has simply been a warmup. The steep gradients of the named hills below are now less than the average gradient ahead." - IPR course description

Postby ajkagy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:40 am

CODave wrote:I really like GoLite

I love GoLite packs...lighter than any other packs i've seen and the thing is tough too.

Postby thebeave7 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:41 am

I think this question is too wide open to give a single answer. Mountaineering walkups, steep snow couliers, ice climbing, ski mountaineering, technical alpine rock, and summer mountaineering(c3/5) all require very different features and aspects. For the activities I have listed above I use 3 different packs of different sizes and features. Also everyone likes different pack styles and designs. That being said, if I were to buy a new winter pack it would probably be a black diamond anarchist, nice features and good fit.
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby peaks2paddles » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:58 am

My vote's for Black Diamond...they have a great selection of sturdy, hardcore packs.
"Not all who wander are lost..."

Postby Alpinista » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:30 am

The Talus 35 was indeed an excellent pack at the price point - a shame they discontinued it.

Lots of excellent climbing/mountaineering (assuming we mean technical here) that aren't listed:

Black Diamond - Predator, Sphinx, Jackal, Speed, Bullet, Hollowpoint, Sidewinder
Wild Things - Andinista, Icesac, Guide pack (all made in the USA)
Cilogear - Worksacks (VERY affordable, excellent alpine packs)

Though I generally like Arcteryx stuff a lot and their packs fit me well I don't honestly think their packs are at the forefront of design. The Nozone is a really excellent pack but at bit on the heavy side. Their AC2 line is very light and uses very innovative technology but a bit "light" on the feature side too.

Postby gdthomas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:55 am

caad4rep wrote:my favorite are the old school Dana Design packs. Tough to find but some good deals can still be found on Ebay. These packs are indestructible!

Marmot bought Dana which is why they are hard to find. I use a Dana Shadow Peak for day hikes/climbs and its been great. Plenty of room for everything you need even for unplanned overnight "stays". I use an old Lowe Lohtse for multi-day stuff. A friend of mine bought one of the large Ospreys a couple of years ago and hates it. He's back to using his old Lowe pack. If I was in the market for a new pack, I'd try them all on (with weight) and choose the one that's most comfortable for my body type with the features I want.

Climb14er

Postby Climb14er » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:58 am

The best packs, without any doubt at all are made by Dan McHale in Seattle. A climber, mountaineer, designer and artisan.

The day packs handle like a Ferrari and the larger week long and expedition packs are as comfortable as a Mercedes.

They might cost a little more up front but if you amortize the years and number of trips you'll get with each pack and the comfort level you receive, in the end, it's worth every dollar spent and more.

I've never had a single problem with any of my three packs, not a buckle broken, not a seam come loose, not a rip, no tears, zippo, nothing but a well functioning pack.

My lightweight day pack has been on well over one hundred peaks and at least another two hundred day trips, snowshoeing and hiking.

If you have the money, buy the best there is! :wink:

http://mchalepacks.com/

Next