Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backpack training weights

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Backpack training weights

Postby NE_Dad » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:07 pm

What does everyone use to weight down their packs for training runs/hikes? I'm just curious. I realize many ppl just pack their pack as they normally would and use that, so I'm looking for answers other than just "all my gear".

Postby SandstoneSmitty » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:12 pm

A bag of ‘Kitty Litter’ – Comes in various sizes, fits in most packs, and can be used for multiple purposes.

Postby firsttracks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:13 pm

I suggest packing water bottles / platypus bladders for your training hikes (assuming you are hiking "up"). Once you reach the top, empty out the bottles (and the weight) and save your knees on the descent.

Re: Backpack training weights

Postby thebeave7 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:26 pm

NE_Dad wrote:What does everyone use to weight down their packs for training runs/hikes? I'm just curious. I realize many ppl just pack their pack as they normally would and use that, so I'm looking for answers other than just "all my gear".

Well.... if I'm running I don't weigh a pack down with anything, heck I don't even wear a pack half the time. For hikes/climbs a good way is to use large water bottles as listed below. A method I've found to create a less lumpy more balance pack is to load t shirts, jeans, and other heavy close in. Just empty out your entire dresser into your pack(neatly of course), which should give you a 40lb+ pack in no time.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby Hobopoet » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:40 pm

When I was with the Forest Service, the agency was making a change in the physical test that fire fighters had to pass each season. Previously, it was just a basic step test. In an attempt to make the test more appropriate, they developed a walk/run test over natural terrain carrying a loaded fire pack. To train for this, many fire fighters used a weighted vest, much like a hunter's vest, with dense rubber was stitched inside. It weighed 40 pounds at least, and it was very effective as a training mechanism.

Postby mainpeak » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Postby chrispy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:42 pm

water bottles can be a bit dense and shifty, so I use climbing ropes, which fill up a bit more space in the pack.
Happy training.

Postby chrispy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:45 pm

water bottles can be a bit dense and shifty, so I use climbing ropes, which fill up a bit more space in the pack.
Happy training.

Postby grizz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:03 pm

I fill my pack with camping gear. Can't get any better than the real deal.
Colorado Native

Postby SandstoneSmitty » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 pm

mainpeak wrote:Image

'Nice Rack!' Said in a manly climber sort of way..

Why the toothbrush?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I gots to know....