Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Is this too many backpacks?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Is this too many backpacks?

Postby TallGrass » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 am

Papillon wrote:Image
Deuce, is that you?! :wft: [noting door] :twisted:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby USAKeller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 am

Papillon wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Someone should start a "Lets see your gear closets" thread. It'd be nice to get some "re-modeling" ideas if nothing else. Impressive Roan.

I agree. Looks nicer than my rathole apartment.

RoanMtnMan wrote:We are way off topic at this point. Someone needs to start a gear storage thread.

Official Gear Storage Thread

Done!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby wildone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am

I had to get in on the action!!

No, that's definitely not too many packs.
I have 5+, here's the ones I use most:
Gregory Jade 35-summer day pack (a caveat on this one, it has an open-air back, so it seems to feel and pack more like a 30 liter pack)
Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 35/45-techinical day pack/lighter weight day pack
Osprey Exposure 50-winter day pack (I love this for winter in case I need my helmet, rope, etc. in addition to winter essentials like a puffy, thermos, etc.)
Acrteryx Bora 80-overnight pack
REI Stoke 24(?)-summit pack for backpacking/overnight trips

I know these are a little heavier than what a lot of you use (I see a lot of 35 liter packs used for winter). Since I come from a CMC instructor background and also do a lot of solo hikes, I carry at least the ten essentials and more if necessary. When I am solo, I always make sure I can spend several nights out and be self sufficient so as not to burden others or search and rescue (that is of course barring a serious injury, etc.).

I also have a Dana Design Terraplane (around 100 liters) that I love, just don't get a chance to use it often. I also have a Millet Prolighter (24 liters I think); I use that on trips for traveling outside of Colorado for my carry on pack, etc.

I'm also loving the gear room/closet thread. I'll get in on that action tonight when I get home so I can post some pics! Don't think I'll be able to compare to some, like Roan, but I have managed to turn a walk-in closet in my 822 square foot apartment into a usable gear closet (vs. room since it really isn't a room). You just gotta get creative, organized and use what you got!! I didn't do too shabby of a job (as you'll see by the pics I'll post tonight).
Last edited by wildone on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 am

TallGrass wrote: Deuce, is that you?! :wft: [noting door] :twisted:

No, but the Pappersons met him in the Weminuche last summer.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Papillon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am

highpilgrim wrote:
TallGrass wrote: Deuce, is that you?! :wft: [noting door] :twisted:

No, but the Pappersons met him in the Weminuche last summer.

I thought he was solid. Everyone in his party was super nice too, especially the chick. I would describe him as a climber's climber.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am

Papillon wrote: I would describe him as a climber's climber.

I think the Deuce would suggest that was a very charitable comment on your part.

I know firsthand that his only talents are persistence and a certain amount of commitment to the effort. And occasionally recognizing good beer.

And yes, the Chick is cool.

D says Cheers. :-D
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby herdbull » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 pm

too many packs? Ta hell you say.... this is my current "in rotation" group of packs. There's at least 3 more in the basement gear room somewhere. Yes, I'm somewhat partial to Osprey :-D
Attachments
packs_002.JPG
packs_002.JPG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 462 times

Postby djkest » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 am

I only have 3 packs. I am into the "small and light" thing.

Mountain Hardware Cima Alta- small and compressible, love this thing. This is the dayhike/summit pack combo. Super light, about a lb.

GoLite Jam 35. I take this on overnight trips for fast and light. I also use as a summit pack. It's not the sturdiest pack, but it's light and it's been great so far with 20 lbs or less.

Kelty Redwing 3300. I use this in combo with the BD when doing multi-day trips. It's kind heavy but it's sturdy and fairly easy to use.

If I took a really long (more than 3 days) or winter trip, I would need a larger pack.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby crestone14ers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 am

I have three backpacks, all made custom for me by Dan McHale in Seattle. These are the finest, highest quality, most comfortable and bullet-proof packs I have ever worn. The packs are going on ten years, never a rip, tear, never lost a buckle or strap broken.

My packs are made either of 1000 cordura or rip stop dyneema. Yes, the cordura is heavy but back then, these were the ones that resisted being pulled over rocks and used on haul climbs.

I paid a fraction of the prices you see here but if I were buying a pack to keep and use for many years, I would easily pay Dan's prices for the quality and performance he manufactures.

My attitude towards gear and products in general is you get what you pay for and if you buy the best that you can afford, then over time, the price will be amortized over many miles and day's worth of use. The last thing you want is miles from the TH, you blow out a pack, or you're on a tough climb and the pack just comes apart. This is NOT for me!

Dan first built the SARC for me and it was an absolute dream to carry. I liked it so much, that for my much longer climbs, I then had him build the Super Critical Mass about six months later. I then called Dan and wanted him to build for me a stripped down, lightweight O-Sarc for my daily climbs and long pushes on alpine peaks. This pack could also be used for overnight or weekends but I wanted it lightweight and as usual, bulletproof. Dyneema! This was even before Spectra was introduced.

The O-Sarc is my go-to pack when I want to leave the house and hike or climb. I take it in the three seasons all the time and in the winter on occasion. The Sarc, I take in the winter as I want additional protection for heavier gear and if need be, have a special waterproof closed cell pad in the back rest for use on a bivy location and if need be, I can put my feet and legs in the pack in an emergency. I have an optional outside pocket for storing my snowshoes and tying them to the pack and the shoes become a part of the pack themselves. Storing Leki poles is an easy solution in the outside belt straps and water bottle pockets. Ice axe loops (two) and crampon patches are on all three packs.

Dan McHale's packs are IMH experience, the pack or packs you buy when you want a special climbing or hiking pack that will outlast all your other gear and provide you with comfort, reliability and performance.

O-Sarc Semilight: http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/0_SarcSemilight.htm This is my go-to pack for everyday climbs, long day hikes and hundreds of peaks. This is the ferrari of my three packs. Dyneema.

SARC: http://www.mchalepacks.com/images/BLACK%20grid%20%2B1%20w%20dyneema%209x12_0197.jpg This is my winter pack and weekend pack, my all around pack that I truly enjoy for overnights. Mine is 1000 cordura and like all three packs, been totally bulletproof.

Super Critical Mass II with Bayonet: http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/scm2_alp_bay.htm This is my long haul pack that can be trimmed down once you get to your base camp for alpine climbs. The pack is 1000 cordura and it has been my 'loaner' pack to my nephew when I take the SARC pack for weekend or longer trips.

Any questions, contact me.

http://mchalepacks.com/
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Postby Stephen Butler » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm

No such thing as too many! I would gladly take on your extras.

Previous