Dog on Class 3s or Difficult Class 2s??

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
juj333
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Dog on Class 3s or Difficult Class 2s??

Post by juj333 »

I was wondering if anyone has any experience on bringing their dog on Class 3 peaks or difficult Class 2s? My dog has currently hiked 17 peaks: Huron, Sherman, Gray's, Princeton, Belford, Oxford, La Plata, Elbert, Massive, Evans, Bierstadt, Shav & Tab, Red Cloud & Sunshine, Humboldt and Pike's. (Handies and Uncompahgre this coming weekend)

I read the forum topic of having dogs on Castle and Conundrum and we're planning on doing those at the end of the summer, WITH the dog. The more peaks he's done, the better of a climber he's become--particularly at scrambling. He has his own pair of boots, which he keeps on. And carries his own water. Because of the boots, he's sometimes a little hesitant on some boulders because of the lack of grip he has from the boots compared to his paws. But overall, he does very well. He's a Bearded Collie and weighs roughly 55 lbs. He'll be 4 years old this August. He's very obedient and always stays close.

Some of the peaks I'm particularly curious about are: Blanca and Ellingwood Point, Sneffels and Wetterhorn. Has anyone climbed these peaks with a dog? And even if you haven't hiked them with a dog, what might be your take on the trail for a booted dog?
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Dog on Class 3s or Difficult Class 2s??

Post by Mike Shepherd »

I have a coworker who has taken his dog on Capitol. I've personally seen it go up Torreys via the dead dog couloir. It's doable if the pooch is at home on the mountains. He short ropes it for some parts.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
mkrier
14ers: 58 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

Every dog is different, but I bring my dog up to Class 2+. He would probably be fine on Castle/Conundrum looking at the peaks he has done, however, the last pitch up Wetterhorn might be hard for your dog. Haven't done the others you inquire about.

Most people I know with dogs usually draw the line at Class 3, so I would recommend just keeping him at home.

Also, you should take off his dog boots for any real scrambling sections in hikes. He's hesitant like you say because he has no grip with those boots on.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

juj333 wrote:Has anyone climbed these peaks with a dog? And even if you haven't hiked them with a dog, what might be your take on the trail for a booted dog?
The short answer is yes, dogs have done these peaks. Some dogs have actually "finished" all the 14ers. Others are missing 1 or a few. See this thread: The 14ers.com dogs

Some dogs I have hiked/climbed/skied with are very impressive and can take anything on. Others, not so much. As with humans, step up the difficulty slowly and be prepared to turn around or carry your dog out.

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Ha. Time for the annual dog-in-a-dicey-spot mudfest.

Several very conscientious hikers on this forum have successfully led their dogs up Class 3 and 4 routes. I have not done that with our dog. My problem is the what ifs:
1. What if my dog kicks a rock onto a climber below?
2. What if my dog ends up off-route in a bad place?
3. What if my dog falls and gets hurt, and I have to carry him out?
And especially: 4. How could I live with myself if my dog was hurt or killed because I led him to a risky place? Who was I trying to make happy -- my dog or me?
Last edited by Oman on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Having had rocks kicked down upon me by a novice dog climber on the Needle (thank goodness for helmets!), I am not a huge fan of dogs on routes above Class 2. However, if you insist on bringing your pooch up these routes as many do, please just remember that dogs cannot yell out "Rock!; this is your responsibility.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Oman wrote:Several very conscientious hikers on this forum have successfully led their dogs up Class 3 and 4 routes. I have not done that with our dog. My problem is the what ifs:
And especially: 4. How could I live with myself if my dog was hurt or killed because I led him to a risky place? Who was I trying to make happy -- my dog or me?
Pretty much this. I hike with my dog a lot (his 13er/14er peak list is north of 30), but I leave him at home for anything above Class 2. To me, the reward isn't worth the risk. We humans put ourselves in danger willingly and are able to reap the perceived mental/emotional/spiritual rewards. Dogs aren't given that choice, and really, all they want to do is run around and sniff stuff. They don't gain anything from a Class 3 they couldn't get on a Class 1. I've seen first-hand what can happen to a dog who takes a fall (she survived, barely). I can't imagine putting my pup through that -- or what my girlfriend would do to me.

That said, there are exceptions. I've hiked with some truly remarkable dogs (Sophie!). I'm not one to judge or admonish their owners. Take your dog where you will, but be ready to accept the consequences and make the safety of human climbers paramount.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Oman wrote:Ha. Time for the annual dog-in-a-dicey-spot mudfest.

Several very conscientious hikers on this forum have successfully led their dogs up Class 3 and 4 routes. I have not done that with our dog. My problem is the what ifs:
Amen to all 4, especially #1.

Dave
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

There was a story about a dog that was killed last year in a fall on El Diente. I don't have a dog right now, but I wouldn't risk it. I couldn't live with myself if I led my dog to his or her death.

If a dog was kicking rocks on me on a tough mountain, I would have no problem laying into the owner for endangering other people on the mountain.

Just because a dog CAN do it doesn't mean they SHOULD.

I love seeing dogs on the trail - I'm always amazed to see the energy and joy with which they explore a foreign environment. But there's a thin line between an enjoyable outing and a dangerous outing with your dog - please be kind to your pooch!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Oman wrote: And especially: 4. How could I live with myself if my dog was hurt or killed because I led him to a risky place? Who was I trying to make happy -- my dog or me?
+1 to this. =D>

As another dog owner, I can understand the feeling of pride if we accomplish something hard with our dog, because I've done that. However, like others have already mentioned, our dogs don't really care if they are climbing a 14er or running around on a small hill. They are happy as long as they're outside with their human. So we are really just pumping our own ego.

Personally, I don't take my dog (Polar) on any dry route that's class 3 or above. Snow climb is different. Polar excels on snow climbs, her little paws have built-in crampons that work just as well as my BD sabretooth. Here I'm going to show my ego by saying I've taken Polar on snow climbs above 17,000 feet. But on rock where she can't dig in her claws to get purchase, she is less comfortable. She is actually pretty good at scrambling, but I can tell that she doesn't enjoy it as much. So I made the choice to only hike class 1 or class 2 with Polar. If I encounter some class 3 scrambling when I'm out with her, I'll go up it and see if she follows. Sometimes she will impress me by finding her own way up, but often she will just run around for a bit, can't find an easy way, then look at me with sad puppy eyes and whimper a little, and I'll go back down to her. That's fine with me because I don't have a peak I have to bag.

At the end, it's your decision. If you do make the choice of taking your dog up class 3 routes, a couple of suggestions:
1. Take off the booties for the scrambling. Dog's bare paws and claws get better traction than booted paws.
2. I know you said he carries his own water. But on hard scrambles, don't let him wear a pack. The added width and weight of the pack can throw a dog off balance, and they tend to rub into stuff with their pack on, potentially knock stuff loose.
3. Have him wear a good harness with a handle on the back (Polar uses one made by Ruffwear). The handle let you help him by hauling and stabilizing him.
4. Have a short length of rope with you to protect dangerous sections. I had to cross a large crevasse field with Polar once, I had her harness roped to my harness the whole time. When we had to cross the bergschrund at the end, I gave her a hip belay while my climbing partner gave her a little boost from below.
5. Plan how you're going to get your dog down a class 3 section if he hurts himself and can't walk. Maybe practice it a little. It's not gonna be easy...
Polar scrambling.
Polar scrambling.
PB060374.JPG (140.88 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

Oman wrote:Ha. Time for the annual dog-in-a-dicey-spot mudfest.
This. I'd never forgive myself.