Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

moose crisis!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

moose crisis!

Postby peter303 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: moose crisis!

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:57 pm

When you think about it, large mammals all around the world are in trouble.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby GeezerClimber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:24 pm

They always like to blame whatever environmental disaster fad that's currently in vogue. Consider Colorado's formerly abundant boreal toad. The decline was blamed on acid rain, then destruction of the ozone layer, then global warming. We now know a fungus is to blame. Moose have been spreading south in both the east and west, a fact that doesn't square with the warming theory.

Dave

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:16 pm

True enough. The moose in Colorado are actually overpopulated.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18168805
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Flips » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Maybe we have less ticks in Colorado.

Postby SkaredShtles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Cool graph, bro'.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Updated CO #s:

http://durangoherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20130703/NEWS06/130709840&template=mobileart

And I guarantee the DOW moose count underreports the true number in Colorado.

SJ Ron :)

Postby Marmot72 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Fewer ticks and fewer predators - that's why the moose are flourishing down here, relative to their counterparts to the north in Wyoming and Montana. At least that's what I took from SJ Ron's article. Thanks Ron!

As for global warming/not warming, we can keep on debating it - and then our children can tell their grandchildren that the California coastline used to be a few hundred miles west of the Sierra Nevada. Oh, and yes, you can only see polar bears in zoos because all the wild ones drowned in the ocean after all the ice melted. (To be less dramatic and closer to home, I saw a photo from the early 1900s of a snowfield in RMNP compared to a photo from the 1990s and the snowfield was half the size - but let's postulate other causes instead of trying to do anything about it.) The whole global warming debate is like two doctors arguing over the cause of the wound while the patient bleeds to death, their disagreement and inaction preventing either from simply grabbing a large bandage and applying pressure.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.

Postby Cruiser » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:07 am

^^^ It's replies like yours that get otherwise interesting threads moved to the off route section of the forum. ](*,)

Postby Dex » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:15 am

Marmot72 wrote:Fewer ticks and fewer predators - that's why the moose are flourishing down here, relative to their counterparts to the north in Wyoming and Montana. At least that's what I took from SJ Ron's article. Thanks Ron!

As for global warming/not warming, we can keep on debating it - and then our children can tell their grandchildren that the California coastline used to be a few hundred miles west of the Sierra Nevada. Oh, and yes, you can only see polar bears in zoos because all the wild ones drowned in the ocean after all the ice melted. (To be less dramatic and closer to home, I saw a photo from the early 1900s of a snowfield in RMNP compared to a photo from the 1990s and the snowfield was half the size - but let's postulate other causes instead of trying to do anything about it.) The whole global warming debate is like two doctors arguing over the cause of the wound while the patient bleeds to death, their disagreement and inaction preventing either from simply grabbing a large bandage and applying pressure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

And let's not forget how bad it has become since the little ice age!
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby peter303 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 am

Jim Davies wrote:True enough. The moose in Colorado are actually overpopulated.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18168805

I think its the abundance of recreational herbs.

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:00 am

Allow me to introduce the obvious culprit:

Next