Top 10 reasons to hike with a dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Top 10 reasons to hike with a dog

Post by Dark Helmet »

colokeith wrote:This is obviously a troll post intended for fun, but I am going to give a serious response.

I have two dogs that I hike with regularly. I don't take them on a lot of 14ers because they weigh 60lbs, and I don't feel like carrying them out if they get hurt. I have done easier peaks with them.

One of my dogs is fantastic off leash, she stays near me, and has 100% recall. She will stop on a dime even if chasing a squirrel , dog ... If she is on a leash she pulls and is generally annoying.
My other dog is very well behaved on a leash. I tie him to my pack and barely notice he is there. Despite two years of work he has poor recall, and I cannot trust him off leash even on remote trails. So my point is that hiking with dogs off leash is very dependent on the dog, and the relationship the owner has with that dog

kinda like hiking with people then? some of them need to be kept on-leash!
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

milan wrote:Most importantly they are an emergency source of food. You get stuck somewhere, get hungry, instead of eating another group member you start with his dogs :) . Even better if they are still hot.
I love hot dogs. But not hot schnauzers. I'm not eating one of those nasty yackers. Or a weiner dog for that matter. I can't take one of those seriously or understand why anyone would want one...
Dark Helmet

kinda like hiking with people then? some of them need to be kept on-leash!
No, just muzzled.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

milan wrote:Most importantly they are an emergency source of food. You get stuck somewhere, get hungry, instead of eating another group member you start with his dogs :) . Even better if they are hot.
If you hike with a Great Dane you could also bivy inside it like Bear Grylls did with this camel (yes he is a toolbag)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysat-igQi44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

colokeith wrote:
milan wrote:Most importantly they are an emergency source of food. You get stuck somewhere, get hungry, instead of eating another group member you start with his dogs :) . Even better if they are hot.
If you hike with a Great Dane you could also bivy inside it like Bear Grylls did with this camel (yes he is a toolbag)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysat-igQi44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, I saw that, another great idea :)
scalba123
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

anna wrote:Bill, perhaps it's time you add to your .com collection with one of the following...

14erdogs.com
poochesonpeaks.com
peakpetpals.com

:mrgreen:
screwuihaveadog.com
mydogisbetterthanu.com
bpko
14ers: 13  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bpko »

cheeseburglar wrote:.Dog owners, chip in and explain to the public why your dog(s) hike with you!
Because I have no friends and my dog must do what I say.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "Sir," without adding, "you're making a scene."
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I have to keep my dog on-leash because she is much better than me at finding the way back to the car, and if she was off-leash she would be to the car hours before me (assuming I didn't get lost).
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

"And – and so we – we took a concerted effort to go out and find dogs who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our family. I went to a number of rescue groups and said, ‘Can you help us find canines,’ and they brought us whole binders full of dogs."
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

MonGoose wrote:"And – and so we – we took a concerted effort to go out and find dogs who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our family. I went to a number of rescue groups and said, ‘Can you help us find canines,’ and they brought us whole binders full of dogs."
LMFAO!!! Well played sir

Last edited by colokeith on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

MonGoose wrote:"And – and so we – we took a concerted effort to go out and find dogs who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our family. I went to a number of rescue groups and said, ‘Can you help us find canines,’ and they brought us whole binders full of dogs."
You win the intertubes today sir... =D>
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

And then we picked our favorite, and intoduced him to his new home in a crate on the top of our car.
mittster dog.jpg
mittster dog.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
Last edited by DeucesWild on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

only funny parody I've seen of this thus far...

well struck sir.