Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JayJayByrd
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Post by JayJayByrd »

on 9NEWS.com

DENVER - The owner of the German Shepherd mix left on one of Colorado's fourteeners last month for more than a week has reached a plea deal.

Anthony Ortolani is charged with animal abuse after the Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office says he left his dog Missy to die on Mt. Bierstadt.

Ortolani's lawyer said he has agreed to plea to a minor Clear Creek County ordinance violation, and he would give up custody of Missy to one of the volunteer rescuers.

full story here: http://www.9news.com/news/article/28957 ... is-actions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Post by Navigaiter »

If it's true that he's really going to give her up to someone much more caring, this is awesome news. I look forward to hearing about her finding a new, much better home.
aaronmojica
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 14 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

drop it
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

I'm all for lessening these threads (and keeping the OR threads off the main page has helped tremendously, thanks Bill!), but I'm glad to hear this news!

Thanks for sharing!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Navigaiter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

Well there are now several outlets reporting this news. Very good to hear. After seeing the video of her playing with the rescuers, it's good to see how much she's recovered and how happy she seems. She'll never miss he who abandoned her.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

I honestly can't imagine how I would feel or what I would do if I were in the same situation as this guy and had to leave my dog up there. I would like to think I would have done something different, at least attempting to go back and look for the dog later, but if I don't think I would have asked strangers from 14ers.com to help me find my dog.

What's really hard for me to wrap my head around is the fact that this guy was charged with a crime in the first place, and sadly brought forth mostly by members of this site. Unless I am mixing up details, he is being charged for a crime for leaving his dog by the same agency that refused to help him rescue the dog??????????????????????? In my opinion after he asked for help and was denied by the authorities that was game over, not his problem anymore. They refused to help rescue the dog because why, it was an animal not a human. Now they are charging him for leaving the dog. Crazy. I can't believe how angry this whole thing makes me.

I love this site, the people on here are amazing, but the hatred and anger brought forth on this guy is ridiculous. I just simply don't understand. I also love my dog and again believe I would have tried on my own to rescue her if she were in that situation.

I DO NOT think the guy should get his dog back, and am very happy one of the rescuers may get her.....The rest of the story though, the crime, anger, etc..just crazy.
Navigaiter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

Well he didn't ask strangers to help. It came to light when a 14ers.com member ran across her. Those who found her posted the info on here, and independent of the situation, the rescuers organized an effort.

He's actually being charged by Clear Creek Animal Control, which was not involved in the situation until they learned he abandoned her. I can't speak for the rescuers, but I don't know that they actively pursued the charges. I think that happened independent of their actions. Could be wrong though.

Either way, it's great news.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Cool story, now drop it.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
flylikeabeagle
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flylikeabeagle »

It's a great story and I think worthy of a simple thread on this amazing website. Why not just move on to another thread if you are too cool for it or it is beneath you. Relieved the dog will go to a good home
alpenglow
14ers: 17 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpenglow »

Great news! Brilliant work by the rescuers. I love a happy ending. Lucky, enjoy your new pack you deserve each other.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Thread Derailment!!!

GO AWAY AND GO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN!!!
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Thread Derailment!!!

GO AWAY AND GO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN!!!
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."