Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thank You; You're My Heroes!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

IT'S ALMOST FRIDAY. PLAN YOUR HIKE INSTEAD

Postby Fisching » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

NO. We're not doing this for the bazillionth.

DERAILING...
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Re: Thank You; You're My Heroes!

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:03 pm

I saw a Chekhov play the other night. Apparently he took a drink of champagne right before he died.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Camp Chi-Town 13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:55 am

DITTO! I waited until registration opened so that I could also send a HUGE THANK YOU from Chicago! GOD BLESS!

Postby craftymatt » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Navigaiter wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:Will someone please put an end to this madness?! :wft: 14ers.com is at an all-time low.

I respectfully disagree, SilverLynx. I think it's at an all-time high. Through the site, a dog was rescued, and yes, there have been some inane comments made and a lot of passion and childishness behind those comments, but if you eliminate the lowest common denominators, it's just a bunch of people coming to the defense of Missy.

And to be fair, I myself made some heated remarks, though I tried to show some restraint.

It's at an all time low because people won't shut up about it. Yeah it's great we saved a dog and whatever, but good and bad stuff (much worse than this) happens every day. It's nice that people hiked up to save the dog, but in the meantime thousands of dogs in shelters/etc have probably been put to sleep during the past few weeks due to lack of space, so saving one dog from a mountain doesn't really change anything.

Postby SpringsHiker » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:58 pm

craftymatt wrote:It's at an all time low because people won't shut up about it. Yeah it's great we saved a dog and whatever, but good and bad stuff (much worse than this) happens every day. It's nice that people hiked up to save the dog, but in the meantime thousands of dogs in shelters/etc have probably been put to sleep during the past few weeks due to lack of space, so saving one dog from a mountain doesn't really change anything.

14ers.com is at an all-time low because you're cynical? And you have made this assessment in the 10 days you have been registered?

I don't have any issue with what you said regarding dogs and treatment by humans, but connecting that to the state of this website and online community completely makes no sense. For the most part this community is fine and healthy; please give more thought to your rash assessments as people who express opinions without thinking are what contribute to negativity.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Previous