Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I also believe that the owner's experience seemed to have left him feeling that he may have barely survived getting out of his situation.

I've been quietly sitting back reading the reports. There were other people on the Sawtooth Route the day the dog was abandoned and according the them, the dog was having problems and struggling the entire time.

Also, according them and others there was no stomy weather until late that evening. The dog was apparently abadoned around 10:30 AM? Perhaps the reference to "there was a storm coming" referred to the recommendations that storms are common after 11 pm (even though in this case, the weather seems to have been fine)?

If the weather was still good, what was the emergency that was a life threatening situation?

Rather than attacking I'm curious. Maybe too curious and maybe it doesn't matter.

So far I've heard of blisters, but if the weather was still good at the time (and it seems to be confirmed by several others on the mountain), was there another injury and on a route such as the Sawtooth what kind of injury was it that renders one lame for the next week?

A lot of this doesn't make sense.

Maybe this is beating a dead horse, but the pieces just don't fit.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby heide » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Scott P wrote:
I also believe that the owner's experience seemed to have left him feeling that he may have barely survived getting out of his situation.

I've been quietly sitting back reading the reports. There were other people on the Sawtooth Route the day the dog was abandoned and according the them, the dog was having problems and struggling the entire time.

Also, according them and others there was no stomy weather until late that evening. The dog was apparently abadoned around 10:30 AM? Perhaps the reference to "there was a storm coming" referred to the recommendations that storms are common after 11 pm (even though in this case, the weather seems to have been fine)?

If the weather was still good, what was the emergency that was a life threatening situation?

Rather than attacking I'm curious. Maybe too curious and maybe it doesn't matter.

So far I've heard of blisters, but if the weather was still good at the time (and it seems to be confirmed by several others on the mountain), was there another injury and on a route such as the Sawtooth what kind of injury was it that renders one lame for the next week?

A lot of this doesn't make sense.

Maybe this is beating a dead horse, but the pieces just don't fit.

I too have watched the Missy saga throughout and have tried for the better part of a week to NOT write this, but this being a moment of weakness…

It’s clear Anthony was overly-optimistic in assessing his dog’s ability to do the hike/climb they attempted and overly-optimistic in assessing his ability to respond to any difficulties his dog might encounter. I wonder if Anthony was similarly over-optimistic in assessing his friend’s son’s ability to do the hike/climb they attempted? and in assessing his ability to respond to any difficulties his friend’s son might encounter? (Perhaps the younger hiker was/is an experienced/accomplished hiker/climber: but if not, leading his friend’s son into a dangerous situation is perhaps an even greater issue than leading his dog into a difficult situation.) If the hike was difficult, physically-taxing, emotionally-draining & frightening (perhaps in no small measure due to his concern for his younger companion) for Anthony…then it was probably equally disconcerting for the younger hiker. I wonder how Anthony’s friend and his friend’s son felt about the day’s events/experiences when Anthony & his younger companion returned that Sunday night?

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:24 pm

The guy screwed up large and he's guilty of ridiculously bad judgement for which he will pay over the coming years. Imagine being known by everyone for this lapse? The guy that abandoned his dog for a week on a mountain...that's not a fun place to be, with the national press at your door. It doesn't excuse him but...

...why don't all you armchair Columbos just move on?

columbo.gif
columbo.gif (28.92 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Last edited by DeucesWild on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby kman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:25 pm

gregory_fischer wrote:
Maybe some day our compassion for our fellow man will be equal to the love our society feels for animals.
Attachments
00057 The more people I meet the more I like my dog.jpg
00057 The more people I meet the more I like my dog.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Last edited by kman on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Boggy B » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

gregory_fischer wrote:Maybe some day our compassion for our fellow man will be equal to the love our society feels for animals.

This sentiment has been expressed several times in both threads on this topic. I think the explanation is simple: Animals don't hurt us emotionally. Especially dogs. Dogs don't lie, cheat, steal, argue, break our hearts, crush our spirits, or cause internet butthurt. They are unconditionally loyal, so they're easy to love. And it's easy to imagine they love us back, as if they're capable of that any more than a pet snake, or a rock. Dogs are just more expressive than most other creatures. And it's easy to sympathize when misfortune befalls them, because it's not their fault.

People, on the other hand, are unknown, although we're quick to reach less stellar conclusions. The hypothetical missing hiker on Mt. Bierstadt probably willfully did something stupid to get into the situation he's in, and now he's going to put other people's lives in danger when they go to rescue him. Whether or not he set out on his own or had an experienced companion, he's still largely to blame for his circumstance. And he could be a total a**hole, too. We just don't know. But we do know it's his fault.

In this case, the fact that the owner, who is responsible for the dog's plight, survived the ordeal with no more than blisters is just compounding the judgment and subsequent rage.

I'm not downplaying the rescue--truly a heroic effort. But would a similar effort have been put up for someone's cat? Hamster? Snake? Frankly, I've not seen quicker mobilization among forum members to search for a missing hiker.

kman summarized all my thoughts quite nicely just a moment ago.

Postby Dex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 pm

What I don't understand is what Anthony and especially his friends hoped to get out of posting here. He didn't know anyone here so, he didn't have a reputation to care about.

If Anthony wanted to find his dog, he could have called around to vets or the vet would have called him with the info on the dog tags.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Boggy B wrote: But would a similar effort have been put up for someone's cat? Hamster? Snake? Frankly, I've not seen quicker mobilization among forum members to search for a missing hiker.

Logical question but I don't think logic works well when it comes to people and their dogs.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1888304,00.html
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby gb » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:04 pm

A local DJ likes to end his show reminding his listeners to "Be the type of person your dog thinks you are." Not sure that happened in this case, though it does apply to the rescuers.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:The Friends of Lucky group is a great idea on paper, but my praise ends there. A group of weekend warriors with minimal technical climbing, search-and-rescue or veterinary experience racing off to respond to every lost pet? That sounds more dangerous than beneficial. Would you rescue horses too, or would we need a Friends of Mr. Ed for that? Search and Rescue members complete years of intensive, ongoing training and still place themselves at considerable risk. Do you really think JohnnyDoglover97 will put forth that kind of effort before he straps on his helmet and runs off to play Search and Rescue?

If such a group had membership and training requirements similar to a typical SAR outfit, I could get behind it. I'd still wonder if those resources wouldn't be better allocated to saving, you know, people. But a group of random 14ers.com members who rescue dogs between summer Saturday trips to the Sawatch? Sounds like an actual SAR mission in the making.

I'm glad someone here understands this, SARers arent average joes bumbling about looking for lost people. Are any of you willing to spend 400 hours a year and thousands out of your pocket to organize this? I dont think so.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Anyone see the new Bourne movie? Any good?

Postby Jesse M » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 pm

She won four gold and a bronze.

Postby hvolmer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 pm

heide wrote:I've been quietly sitting back reading the reports. There were other people on the Sawtooth Route the day the dog was abandoned and according the them, the dog was having problems and struggling the entire time.

I may have been the one who gave the impression that she had been abandoned by 10:30 (although I don't think I did.) I don't know when it was, but it was definitely after 10:30. That was the approximate time of my encounter with them.

Also, to be fair regarding the weather: I know the weather was cloudy but fine that day up until at least 5:30PM when I loaded up and drove away - BUT, I also had the luxury of being on top of Evans; in the boulders on the West side of Evans; in the large clearing on the West side of Evans; and down the gulley into the wide-open swamp below Bierstadt - the loop route around the two mountains. I could see forever from almost everywhere I was, and while it was cloudy, I knew that the chances of storms were small.

Missy and her companions were way down on the back side of the Sawtooth. Probably 1000' down from the summit. A person can't really see very far and might be spooked by the gathering clouds. Bailing out still seems like an overreaction to me, especially making the decision to leave via Abyss Lake instead of the much-easier route they came in on.

PreviousNext