Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:56 pm

kansas wrote:
EatinHardtack wrote:
farcedude wrote:Something to keep in mind for this group is to make some distinctions on what you will and will not rescue - I'm totally for rescuing dogs and other human-portable pets (and will probably join up for that). But do you want to be the people called when someone finds an abandoned HORSE or other animal that would take significantly more resources?

EDIT - (Sorry I forgot to say this) Very glad to hear that Missy/Lucky is doing great!

Rescue horses? Been done, I was there.

Where is the owner of that horse?
We should hunt them down and have a good ol fashioned internet lynching.
Can we change its name too?

Anything can be accomplished on the net Darrin. The circumstances were far greater, fantasy football was in full swing at the time. Taking fanasty updates while getting resucued horses takes effort. And there were two animals in our case.
Attachments
horse 2.JPG
horse 2.JPG (137.15 KiB) Viewed 790 times
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby HuskyRunner » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm guilty of putting dogs in packs prior to last Sunday.

As part of my 12 step dog pack recovery program I'll confess the dirty details.

First time was with my Malamute in WV, he climbed up some terrain but couldn't get down so I emptied my pack and crammed in him, tied a rope to the haul and almost dropped him I was laughing so damn hard.

The following pic is from an epic hike on Mt. Falcon. Dakota become so fatigued he couldn't walk any more. We tried to coax him to walk, tried carrying him but he was just too heavy. As a last ditch effort I made some room in my pack and made the grueling trek carrying him back down Mt. Falcon. Not sure how I managed to get back down that mountain, his additional 20 lbs. was more than I could bare.

I also know how much this site likes pics of dogs in packs, enjoy!

DakotaInPack by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby unclegar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Now that the dog thread has been officially reopened :roll: I thought I'd give my .02 since I was not able to in "part 1". First, I'm really glad to hear what a trouper Missy (Lucky) is. I am very grateful for the heart, resolve and success of the rescue group. Huge props to you all! While I don't want to abate the fact that Missy (Lucky) absolutely would have died without your heroic actions, I also believe that the owner's experience seemed to have left him feeling that he may have barely survived getting out of his situation. I can also see how he could have convinced himself that his dog could not have survived it after his failure to carry the dog out and that he sincerely believed that his dog was already dead. I personally have to go with the opinion that he should get his dog back (after paying the vet bill) and believe he is probably a good caretaker of his dog in general. I think he just made some seriously bad judgement calls and did not know how to remedy them. He humbly claims to have learned his lesson and I believe him. I know I have made some really bad judgement calls in my past and wish I could take a handful of those moments back for a re-do, but unfortunately, I cannot. All imho. I could be wrong. But, you know...I'm not. :D You'll thank me later.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Well said, Gar. I agree completely, people are being way too hard on this guy.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby RockyMtnHigh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm

And here comes part 592 of the Missy saga. :faint: ](*,)

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Quark’s commentary on Humans
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby rijaca » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Borneman and Lamperts' 1st ed. Climbing Guide to the 14ers describes a horse rescue on one of the Sawatch peaks (I think). I currently don't have access to my copy or I would provide more info.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Kapelmuur » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 pm

unclegar wrote:I know I have made some really bad judgement calls in my past and wish I could take a handful of those moments back for a re-do, but unfortunately, I cannot.

I also missed out on the initial thread, so please allow me the honor to be the first one to publicly castigate you for these "bad judgement calls" in your past.

Ok everyone: pile on!!
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby Robzilla » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm

The world would be an awful, awful place if each of our worst moments and f-ups made the evening news. I saw some of the comments after those news stories and it was rough. I've seen milder attacks on climbers that have been responsible for human deaths. The guy at least came on here, try to make peace, and tell his side of the story. I don't know why he didn't go back, I don't know why he didn't go back the next day, but I also acknowledge that I don't know him or the situation enough to even offer my opinion. That is left to the authorities at this point, as it should be.

Once again, happy that Missy, Anthony, his hiking companion, the rescuers, and all others involved are each and every one waking up someplace warm and safe tomorrow and I'm hoping we all keep remembering that fact no matter what.

And now back to hiding from this whole mess.

Postby Fisching » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:36 pm

To requote my original post from the initial forum:
gregory_fischer wrote:I'm just going to say that I'm glad this ended well and leave it at that. I doubt the owner or justice department will be asking me - or consulting this forum - for legal ramifications.
...Nor should they.

I don't have any opinion on the owner or the dog as I don't know the people/animal involved - I'm indifferent. What I do have an opinion on is the first forum and how this one is progress as I am a part of this community and have become embarrassed to be associated with the vitriol being posted. So many people are lambasting how inhumane this guy was to leave his dog up there, yet look at how they're treating this guy. Is the nature of these comments any better than the transgressions of abandoning a dog?

Maybe some day our compassion for our fellow man will be equal to the love our society feels for animals.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Tortoise1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 pm

unclegar wrote:Now that the dog thread has been officially reopened :roll: I thought I'd give my .02 since I was not able to in "part 1". First, I'm really glad to hear what a trouper Missy (Lucky) is. I am very grateful for the heart, resolve and success of the rescue group. Huge props to you all! While I don't want to abate the fact that Missy (Lucky) absolutely would have died without your heroic actions, I also believe that the owner's experience seemed to have left him feeling that he may have barely survived getting out of his situation. I can also see how he could have convinced himself that his dog could not have survived it after his failure to carry the dog out and that he sincerely believed that his dog was already dead. I personally have to go with the opinion that he should get his dog back (after paying the vet bill) and believe he is probably a good caretaker of his dog in general. I think he just made some seriously bad judgement calls and did not know how to remedy them. He humbly claims to have learned his lesson and I believe him. I know I have made some really bad judgement calls in my past and wish I could take a handful of those moments back for a re-do, but unfortunately, I cannot. All imho. I could be wrong. But, you know...I'm not. :D You'll thank me later.

I think not. If it were me, even if I thought the dog was likely dead, I'd be back there everyday with food and water until the rescue party could be organized. If you reunite these two wouldn't the guy always be wondering, everytime the dog looked at him, if the dog wasn't thinking "where were you bub? It was EIGHT DAYS!". I think this relationship is over.

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 pm

crossfitter wrote:Also, can we merge this thread with the original missy one? I really want to see it pass the post count of the cesspool that is the music thread.

+1 That made me laugh.

PreviousNext