Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

pflegerc wrote:
speth wrote:
kansas wrote:

I've been out climbing the last 3 weekends and think it's time to spend one at home. Maybe brew a batch of pumpkin ale, take care of some yard work and do my best to derail this shitshow with nonsensical pictures.

Hmm, that knight would have probably lived if he had been carrying a pistol.

And pepper spray. That bear is clearly taking a deuce in that alpine tundra as well...nice LNT principles panda!!

Tragic backcountry episodes like that would be avoided if we implement my proposed Fourteener Aptitude Reconnaissance Test.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby jaymz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 am

Barry Raven wrote:
jaymz wrote:I am reiderating these thoughts because whoever runs this website decided my post wasn't inline with his philosohies and deleted my post. Oh well, no pesky 1st Amendment rights around here. So in closing I won't bother looking at this website again since it is so closeminded that it would support someone leaving his dog to die on a mountain and not even having the humanity to call someone to let them know what had happened.

Just clarifying that I did NOT say this :D

Postby Gueza » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 pm

guitarman wrote:So I am new to this website and really only looked at it because of a Denver Post article on Missy the ABANDONED dog left by her owner to die alone in the mountains. I am an animal activist not a mountain climber. I think that jsut because you want to climb doesn't mean your dog wants to or is even capable of this. Unfortunately for dogs, they have complete loyalty to their owners an would follow them to their deaths because of this loyalty. I saw many posts on this story supporting this owner and some saying "it's my dog and I'll do what I want" (paraphrasing). I don't think you people who voice these opinions should even own animals. You are way too selfish and self centered. I am reiderating these thoughts because whoever runs this website decided my post wasn't inline with his philosohies and deleted my post. Oh well, no pesky 1st Amendment rights around here. So in closing I won't bother looking at this website again since it is so closeminded that it would support someone leaving his dog to die on a mountain and not even having the humanity to call someone to let them know what had happened. I hope he gets prosecuted and definitely loses Missy.

Thank you for your opinion sir. You are so wise!
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

While we're on th topic of "derailing" the thread,
Just curious what gives with Jaymz's avatar's: If I'm not mistaken, he was the long-time buckethead avatar, now it's Bob Ross, the kind of famous public tv how-to-do-it painter. "Over in the corner will be the home for this little tree, he's happy next Mr. rock" .....

Edit: No knocks of course, just seems to be such a dramatic shift ........
Last edited by Wish I lived in CO on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Fried chicken is insensitive to animal rights activists. No wonder that guy left.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby KenPete » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 pm

There was a day when people just did the right thing, and left it at that.

Nowadays, we have this "entitlement" layer that is being applied.

Scott and the crew that went up did the right thing in assisting the dog. They (and those chastising Tony) need to leave it there.

Some group mentality here seems to feel this is now needs some "more" in this situation.

The rescue group has the pics.

They have the praise.

They did the right thing...

What more do they need? Oh, right "more entitlements." They feel they are entitled to to a right to punish.

I'm sorry. No, you do not possess that right.

"Do for a cause, not applause."

You help people because they need it, not for your own reward...

You have been paid. You have your world's stage.

Sleep well knowing the rest of the country would hope some people would never offer assistance in the chance the "bill of entitlements" would be so costly as to lose a loved one.

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:
pflegerc wrote:
speth wrote:Hmm, that knight would have probably lived if he had been carrying a pistol.

And pepper spray. That bear is clearly taking a deuce in that alpine tundra as well...nice LNT principles panda!!

Tragic backcountry episodes like that would be avoided if we implement my proposed Fourteener Aptitude Reconnaissance Test.

Watch out or this thread will turn into another poop thread! :twisted:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:30 pm

James Dziezynski wrote:Mel: The rescue of "Bugs" the horse happened in the winter of 1956-57. The horse was spotted on the long ridge between Harvard and Yale ( Birthday Peak/Browns Pass area). Local Buena Vista ranchers tried to reach him but the conditions were so bad they had to airlift food to the horse, called "Operation Haylift." During a warm spell, rescuers found Bugs and returned him to his home in Buena Vista.

Wasn't he cantankerous with an adversion to women in skirts and parked cars? Sounds like a pain-in-the-butt horse to me! :lol:

I seriously think I've read that book too much...
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby Jason King » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Hello, all. I'm a member of the organization listed at the bottom of page two of this thread - the Washington State Animal Response Team (WASART).

I just wanted to jump in here and mention that there are various volunteer organizations across the country which do technical rescue of animals that can help in situations like these. They engage in training similar to many SAR organizations (we have members who are also volunteers with our local county SAR teams), in addition to animal handling, rigging, and first-aid.

I'm glad to hear that folks were able to get this dog down safely.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:40 pm

So 4 of the top 6 most recent posts are threads about dogs. This is getting out of hand. Maybe someone should search all the dog threads they can find and bump em back to life just to make things even crazier.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby jaymz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Wish I lived in CO wrote:While we're on th topic of "derailing" the thread,
Just curious what gives with Jaymz's avatar's: If I'm not mistaken, he was the long-time buckethead avatar, now it's Bob Ross, the kind of famous public tv how-to-do-it painter. "Over in the corner will be the home for this little tree, he's happy next Mr. rock" .....

Edit: No knocks of course, just seems to be such a dramatic shift ........

I thought Buckethead was too creepy for a climbing forum, so I went with a mountain theme. I've actually been considering changing this one again, because as much as I like Bob, that particular pic creeps me out more than Buckethead for some reason.
Now, what to change it to...?

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Who the hell is missy?

To derail this topic even further.....Daddy likes the Lynx new avatar.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

PreviousNext