Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby Stonechurch » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 am

HuskyRunner,

Thank you for the update. You've made my day! Lucky is a great new name. I'm relieved to hear that the proper authorities and animal rescue groups are involved and in control. If they decide Mr. Ortalani deserves to have her back, then he should have the privilege of repaying all the costs involved with her rescue and vet care.
But if she is released to a new home, please update with links where we dog-lovin' 14ers members can donate toward the expenses incurred in saving her.

Postby rocky » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 am

Several of the group have also expressed a desire to form some sort of rescue organisation to help out with rescuing animals from the backcountry since there appears to be a lack of resources for animals in need; one of the names floated is "Friends of Lucky".

Wow - great plan. If this gets off the ground, it could be a model for chapters everywhere. People with different areas of expertise (dogs, horses) could be recruited, perhaps from existing rescue groups. Good luck with this idea. Keep us all posted, please!

And to Lucky - huge hugs sweet girl. I'd love to send you a batch of homemade dog cookies when you have a mailing address!
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby peter303 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am

I wish Bill would tag threads as "dog safe": neither pro-dog or anti-dog posts. Like he has that "off-route" icon appear on some threads.

Postby dude9478 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:42 am

HuskyRunner wrote:We are calling her Lucky and she is currently in the care of a vet, is being treated like a princess and doing really well. For the most part she was dehydrated but otherwise in good shape.

Clear Creek Animal Control has officially seized control of Lucky but she will remain in the vet's care until custody is resolved. Animal Control will be filing some sort of Animal Cruelty charges against Mr. Ortalani in the next few days.

If Mr. Ortalani wishes to pursue getting Lucky back he will need to have the charges dismissed, petition a judge to grant custody and pay several thousand dollars of vet bills. I believe there is an Animal Rights group that will oppose granting him custody as well.

The eight members of our rescue group sincerely hope that Mr. Ortalani relinquishes control of Lucky so we can move forward with finding her a good home. Several of the news organisations that members of our group have talked with have stated that they have been unable to get a response from Mr. Ortalani.

Several of the group have also expressed a desire to form some sort of rescue organisation to help out with rescuing animals from the backcountry since there appears to be a lack of resources for animals in need; one of the names floated is "Friends of Lucky".

Excellent idea! You all are awesome, wish I could have been there to help. Nice work!

Kevin

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:47 am

Attachments
braceyourselves.jpg
braceyourselves.jpg (80.38 KiB) Viewed 457 times
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 am

Re the animal rescue group--great, great idea.

I just hope business is really slow once it gets going.

And I hope the coming public persecution of Ortalani doesn't overshadow the selfless efforts of her rescuers and the good that comes out of this.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby rocky » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 am

And I hope the coming public persecution of Ortalani doesn't overshadow the selfless efforts of her rescuers and the good that comes out of this.

+1
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm

HuskyRunner wrote:Clear Creek Animal Control has officially seized control of Lucky but she will remain in the vet's care until custody is resolved.

Wait, you mean to tell me that custody will not be sorted out by a heated forum debate? I am shocked. Great news she is doing well, love the animal rescue group idea!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby thetoddman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Thank you again to all the heroes who rescued Lucky - your efforts were amazing! =D> =D> =D>

I am hopeful that the authorities will make the proper decision for Lucky's best interests.

The animal rescue organization is a great idea. Please let us know on this website if there is anyway we can assist in making this happen.

Postby Doctor No » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm

tmathews wrote:One good thing that might come out of this for me, personally, is that because 14ers.com is mentioned in all those stories, people are learning what 14ers are and maybe my coworkers won't ask me, "Do you like 14-year-olds or something?" (which has happened in the past). :mrgreen:

My coworkers now tell others that I'm off "mounting fourteeners". :lol:

Postby suesue2222 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 pm

here's a group that does what you're looking into starting. i think it would be GREAT!

http://www.washingtonsart.org/index.html

Postby JB99 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm

kimism72 wrote:I'm all for it but can someone please explain to me why the change in name? No matter what her plight, she is Missy and always will be, IMO. If this can be rationally explained I will stand/sit corrected...

I was wondering this too. It almost seems like people are refusing to use her name out of spite for the previous owner. Missy is already confused enough I'm sure, changing her name will only add to this.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

PreviousNext