Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The 14ers.com dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: The 14er.com dogs

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:52 am

Bean wrote:
dehrlich101 wrote:For anyone looking for a new dog.
New Hope Cattle Dog Rescue

"Rescues" are generally a pain in the ass, and that one looks no different. Application, phone interview, home inspection, contracts. Go to the humane society and be done with it.

I know this is an old post but we are currently working with New Hope to adopt our second cattle dog mix. The application and home inspection were no big deal at all. We got to meet the dog and spend time with him and if he doesn't work out for us then we can give him back to his foster home and work with them to find a better fit for us. New Hope so far has been really nice to work with and I don't see any issue with them.

All that being said our first dog came from the Boulder Humane Society and we love her to death. She's an amazing dog but she had an unusual amount of information for a dog at a shelter (though still not much) that led us to believe she would work out. The flip side of adopting from them was that they didn't ask much of anything and the adoption process was very quick. It was in my opinion a bit too easy to walk out with a dog.

Maya is a 2 year old cattle dog / border collie mix (at least we think) and hasn't been on a 14er or 13er yet but she will be soon. We're still in the process of training her and she's done great on hikes so far.

26346_10151451766329099_617234462_n.jpg
26346_10151451766329099_617234462_n.jpg (128.29 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

425663_10151282624304099_1788468592_n.jpg
425663_10151282624304099_1788468592_n.jpg (235.52 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

Postby HuskyRunner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:52 am

Jon Frohlich wrote:
Bean wrote:
dehrlich101 wrote:For anyone looking for a new dog.
New Hope Cattle Dog Rescue

"Rescues" are generally a pain in the ass, and that one looks no different. Application, phone interview, home inspection, contracts. Go to the humane society and be done with it.

I know this is an old post but we are currently working with New Hope to adopt our second cattle dog mix. The application and home inspection were no big deal at all. We got to meet the dog and spend time with him and if he doesn't work out for us then we can give him back to his foster home and work with them to find a better fit for us. New Hope so far has been really nice to work with and I don't see any issue with them.

All that being said our first dog came from the Boulder Humane Society and we love her to death. She's an amazing dog but she had an unusual amount of information for a dog at a shelter (though still not much) that led us to believe she would work out. The flip side of adopting from them was that they didn't ask much of anything and the adoption process was very quick. It was in my opinion a bit too easy to walk out with a dog.

Beautiful pup and good on ya for rescuing your pets rather going to a shop or breeder (some breeders are OK but there are just way too many unwanted pets to keep breeding more, IMO). While personally I don't think that it's much of a hassle to have a phone interview and home visit before getting a pet I can accept how someone might feel that way. We've been volunteers for Husky rescues for over a decade, all our dogs are rescues and always will be. Some of the dogs in rescue come from shelters, some strays, but many come from good homes and are terrific dogs. The pups that do have some behavioral issues are worked with by experienced owners, that's not to say that all rescue dogs will be right for all homes but generally you should be able to find the correct dog for your lifestyle through a good rescue organization, that's not so much the case with a shelter as they have more pressure to move dogs out of their facility (not knocking shelters, there are some great shelter out there like Charlie's Place). Mostly I'm thankful that there are people like you who rescue their pets, either from rescue organizations or shelters, and give them such a terrific home, wish we could find more active people to adopt our Huskies, Cattle dogs are terrific also and listen better than Huskies.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby YooperJonKornely » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 am

Just a few pics of my hiking dog Zebulon. He is 1/2 Akita, 1/2 Boxer, and absolutely does not tire out! I'll be huffing and puffing, and he will just look at me and whimper because he wants to keep the pace going :) He was also a shelter dog when we got him as a puppy up in Divide, CO.
Attachments
Zeb2.jpeg
Zeb2.jpeg (111.77 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Zeb1.jpeg
Zeb1.jpeg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 953 times

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:06 am

YooperJonKornely wrote:Just a few pics of my hiking dog Zebulon. He is 1/2 Akita, 1/2 Boxer, and absolutely does not tire out! I'll be huffing and puffing, and he will just look at me and whimper because he wants to keep the pace going :) He was also a shelter dog when we got him as a puppy up in Divide, CO.

That's a happy dog gettin' after it in the first pic :-D
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby rocky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi. My name is Willow. I'm a natural blonde with a great sense of humor and a love for the outdoors. My figure is svelte and athletic.

I love to hike, especially the high peaks. Marmots are my favorite animal. Spending a night in front of a roaring fire, at home or camping, just delights me. I'm easy to talk to and have an inordinate fondness for fruits, vegetables and, oh yes -- cookies. Simply make eye contact and we'll be instant friends.

Willow the hiking dog (800x531).jpg
Willow the hiking dog (800x531).jpg (237.28 KiB) Viewed 843 times

doesn't it feel good to get that pack off (800x507).jpg
doesn't it feel good to get that pack off (800x507).jpg (269.97 KiB) Viewed 843 times
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby Vermont Mike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 am

Sawyer is all about having fun . . .

Postby fevercity » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 am

Jade's 1st on easy Sherman. Back before the grey beard and slower pace.

Postby MountainDawg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Our newest friend on Handies!
Attachments
Copy of Spring 2013 057.JPG
Copy of Spring 2013 057.JPG (148.62 KiB) Viewed 548 times

Postby jpfeif001 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:47 am

Love the puppies:) Beautiful animals everyone has posted, and they all look happy :-D
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.

Re: The 14ers.com dogs

Postby heathahhhh » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Tucker, my 4 year old dapple dachshund! His 5th summit, Mount Massive. We just moved to Colorado last year. He did 4 14ers in 2012 with his papa, and has done 2 with me this summer. I only haven't taken him up my night ascent of Quandary. Any other weenies out there want to be friends?!
tuckman.jpg
tuckman.jpg (39.12 KiB) Viewed 326 times
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

Postby Randy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 pm

tn.jpg
tn.jpg (122.9 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Buddy Boy my adopted New partner. Right now we are working on the 4k's in the White Mountains of NH. Will be back in Colorado Springs for the 2014 season on the 14ers.

Postby colli1eg » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Simon, my 2 year old Coyote mix (not sure what he is) getting lost in the majesty of the Crestones on our way down Humboldt Peak.
Attachments
SIMON.jpg
SIMON.jpg (170.67 KiB) Viewed 879 times

PreviousNext