The 14ers.com dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The 14ers.com dogs

Post by polar »

Polar is a very bad spotter.
Polar failing miserably as a spotter.
Polar failing miserably as a spotter.
polar_bouldering.jpg (179.36 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
Last edited by polar on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Hmmmm... your thumb is very tasty.
Attachments
Tasty.
Tasty.
P1240034.jpg (93.36 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
sky_high
14ers: 40  3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sky_high »

My pup Kumori, a blue heeler/bull terrier mix from Hawaii.
DSC_0073.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg (243 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Her name means 'cloudy' in Japanese because she comes from the wettest part of Hawaii and she's got a cloudy grey coat. It was even raining the day I got her! That's her on top of Humboldt contemplating the view. She's got eight 14ers under her belt right now, but I don't take her on anything more than Class II, even though she climbs better than I do. You know dogs, fearless right until they fall. She's 6 years old and she still runs around like a puppy, and if I do a 15-mile trail she'll usually double it.
dchappy7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dchappy7 »

HI All, I just wanted to let you know I got Josh's book yesterday, it is excellent!
Very well done and no he did not ask me to post this message.
I am a newbie to 14er's and just climbed my second one this summer with my
Labrador. So getting educated is really helpful not to mention the book has
great pictures and is really interesting I spent 2 plus hours last night reading it.
Here is the info if you want to check it out. http://www.14ercanine.com/Book.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It got me pumped I am dying to come back out to Colorado to climb again even though its fall.
Also here are some pics of me and Maximus ON summit of MT. Democrat.
Attachments
Mt. Democrat with Max.jpg
Mt. Democrat with Max.jpg (154.05 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Mt. Dem with Max.jpg
Mt. Dem with Max.jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Phil 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"
summitwolf
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 164 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by summitwolf »

My dog, Kiva, enjoying the view from Mt. Champion last weekend.
Attachments
Champion2.jpg
Champion2.jpg (185.51 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
summit2sea
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summit2sea »

Bing at Herman Lake after Pettingell Peak climb.
Attachments
Bing after Pettingell Peak climb
Bing after Pettingell Peak climb
image1.JPG (202.21 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
bouncebarkrun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bouncebarkrun »

Stanley and Astrid on the way up Audubon a couple weeks ago.
Attachments
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG (123.03 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Dizzy... DizzyDoggers
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (266 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
shinson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shinson »

My buddy Ralphie did Decalibron and Sherman this past weekend. Here he is in front of Democrat and Sherman looking all proud (though he may have actually just seen a bug).
Svtwowb.jpg
Svtwowb.jpg (602.34 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Swa0qZU.jpg
Swa0qZU.jpg (637.74 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Geneva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Geneva »

After having spent years climbing and hiking mountains of all degrees of difficulty I'm always amazed at the stupidity of those who
Carelessly bring their dogs on extremely difficult hikes assuming their dog could do it all and enjoy it.
I have seen dogs fall from cliffs to their death, slide on shale fields to end up severely injured , or swept down strong flow creeks, streams or waterfalls to their death. Most recently a dogs treat for an outing with their guardian and protector....to go on a rock covered long hike and climb where their paw pads were ripped and torn .......a horribly painful long recovery!
Your dogs do not have vibram soles on their feet, they do not understand rock slides, currents, fear and consequences!
If you truly love your dog take them on a great hike or camping trip where you know the terrain well & there are NO dangers or accidents even possible.
Stop being self centered , this dog trust you with their life!

*** for the cocky ##s commenting on my post, I am a DVM. I love Dogs, and have owned 8 labs, 2 husky/wolves, 2 Aussies in the past 55 years. All well trained as working and companion dogs, I also raised 4 litters of very fine dogs.
. I lived and hiked and climbed in the Rockies for 32 years, and Did my DVM residency in Denver, Boulder and Vail. I also worked for OutWard Bound as a guide for 8 summers in the Rockies and Wind River Range.
I now have a vet practice in Tahoe in Ca. I have treated more dogs severely injured on hiking, and mountain trips with their owners
than I care to count. I had also treated dogs at trail heads and on the trails, or back country in the Rockeies, Sierras, and Canadian Rockies. (ALso treated an equal number of hikers and climbers, many with severe injuries as I am a trained Wilderness First Responder)

Those questioning my random new membership? Again , the immaturity of those judging is fairly evident.
I'm new to this site as I am a friend of one of the deceased members of the accident on Cap. peak last week. At their service
This site was mentioned as a resource to understand how a few of the current climbing community members chose to write about the accident. As a group the family and friends are on a mission to figure out how to prevent others from making unwise decisions,
and creating more awareness and hopefully implementing some changes .
There are in my experience more novices than ever on challenging trails and climb that they are ill suited for in many ways. THose
Individuals who make reckless ill informed choices that result in accidents have often consumed alcohol, weed or other substances 24 hours before, during and even at the summit before descending the peak.
So fellow 14er pros..........that is why I wanted to at the very least at this point visit a thread here on dogs on trails.
St last week I put down a neighbors dog who had slid off a rocky slope, a drop of about 30 ' but enough to snap a spine . This guys dog just wanted to be with the owner who had worked all week....it didn't have to be a steep treacherous trail ill suited for a young dog off leash....just some quality time in nature and a fun run would have been fine.
These kinds of injuries as with the accidents on Cap Peak can be prevented...........nuff said......I'm not to into social mediaI do not spend much time ranting on keyboards..........but I do like to read where ya all are coming from. AS in the accident analysis...I see pretty egocentric cocky bunch......
Last edited by Geneva on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Thank you for your wonderful insight. Did you join just to make this post?
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

the first time i went up to Sherman i was just getting over a chest cold, but had a friend in from out of town and wanted to do a 14er with him. i made it about 1/4 mile up and realized i wasn't as healed as i'd hoped to be, and had to turn back. Archer... haha. he is incredibly obedient, loyal and such a mama's boy... but he LEFT ME to go finish the mountain with my friends while i slept in my Jeep and waited for their return :lol:
the second time i went to Sherman, i got about 100 yards in and realized i had forgotten our water in the Jeep. naturally i turned around to grab it, but he WOULD NOT follow me back to the Jeep, rather sat and waited for me in the middle of the trail, as if to say "oh no. not this again, don't you dare!!"

he's done about 20 14ers, but i won't be bringing him on any class 3+, which TOTALLY sucks for me- best hiking companion ever.
14238251_4170422541089_8596526024308530860_n.jpg
14238251_4170422541089_8596526024308530860_n.jpg (151.37 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis