The 14ers.com dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: The 14er.com dogs

Post by Floyd »

DeucesWild wrote:Ok, this thread has gotten pretty exclusionary. Kafka, my cat, is a far more accomplished climber than me, or your puppies.
Anyone else remember Jared Workman and his climbing parakeet? (Seriously)
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Floyd wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:Ok, this thread has gotten pretty exclusionary. Kafka, my cat, is a far more accomplished climber than me, or your puppies.
Anyone else remember Jared Workman and his climbing parakeet? (Seriously)
I loved seeing those photos, crazy stuff. Weren't they some type of Macaw?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I also feel left out, as I'm very allergic to dogs of the non-hypo-allergenic kind. If only I could take Annapurna climbing, she was so good at it as a kitten! But there are too many dogs on the mountain, she wouldn't like it at all!
Attachments
Annapurna pulling a class 5.10+ overhanging mantle move
Annapurna pulling a class 5.10+ overhanging mantle move
annapurna_climbing.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Another sighting of Kafka the wonder cat!

- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

crossfitter wrote:Another sighting of Kafka the wonder cat!
He's gotten a new bong since then that I'd show you but there are cops and lawyers on here and he doesn't want to get to know them...
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

DeucesWild wrote: He's gotten a new bong since then that I'd show you but there are cops and lawyers on here and he doesn't want to get to know them...
It would be a shame if he lost the old one, it had so much history. Don't worry, those cops and lawyers will never climb hard enough to catch him.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

bergsteigen wrote:I also feel left out, as I'm very allergic to dogs of the non-hypo-allergenic kind. If only I could take Annapurna climbing, she was so good at it as a kitten! But there are too many dogs on the mountain, she wouldn't like it at all!
Annapurna or Annapurrrrrrrrrna? (I couldn't resist a good pun)
Last edited by TaylorHolt on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
kara
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kara »

This has finally devolved enough that I feel I can post the non-hiking pup I mentioned yesterday in that "other" dog thread. Behold, Tenacious D (Darlene):
DPup.jpg
DPup.jpg (96.96 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
To the person who said she was getting ideas about hiking/climbing buddies from this thread--this is NOT what you're looking for. It's apropos that folks started posting cats, because essentially, this is a 60lb version.
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Heres a really rude cat Noah and I came across!

(Sorry I had to play, its too funny)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (157.14 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I don't take the pet hiking because my wife bought this...thing. I think it might be an Ewok.

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

Greenhouseguy wrote:I don't take the pet hiking because my wife bought this...thing. I think it might be an Ewok.

LMAO.... =D> =D> =D>
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

My dog Sundance from the summit of Grays. He has done 4 14ers so far. You can spot him on the trails with the leash that looks like a very well worn climbing rope.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller