Dogs on Class 3

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on Class 3

Post by oldschoolczar »

Yeah sorry man I usually try to avoid these threads..

Screeman and Gearguy go ahead and get your last words in.. I'm done.

I'm not going to take this into philosophical or political territory.. I just like climbing mountains. And despite all the problems we have in this country I love it and I hate to see it turned into a nanny state when it was founded on the opposite: independence. I also hate to see people disrespect it.. because when you think about it we all descend from badass explorers, adventurers, risk-takers, etc.

Peace,
OSC
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

Greenhouseguy wrote:I started this thread so people could share information about the pros and cons of taking dogs on Class 3 terrain. Well-intentioned people might find this information useful before they decide to put their dog in an unnecessarily dangerous situation. If people want to turn it into a typical 14ers.com piss fight, there are already several better ones in progress.
Well if that's the case, then this thread might as well be closed as it will have zero entertainment value going forward. I'll be starting a "dogs on class 3 routes of Mt Bross" thread here shortly.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
DeucesWild
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Roald wrote:I'll be starting a "dogs on class 3 routes of Mt Bross" thread here shortly.
Please include pontificating lawyers and gunfire in your new thread. The two don't have to be related but I personally will enjoy it more if they are.

Or, as an alternative, lawyers going to prison for accidentallly trespassing while attempting to stop others from violating a defunct mining claim would also work for me.

BTW, it doesn't have to be graphic and tell what happens to them once they get to prison.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Roald
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

If I remember right Dueces, you also like discussing tax rates and White house politics.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
oldschoolczar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Greenhouseguy wrote:I started this thread so people could share information about the pros and cons of taking dogs on Class 3 terrain. Well-intentioned people might find this information useful before they decide to put their dog in an unnecessarily dangerous situation. If people want to turn it into a typical 14ers.com piss fight, there are already several better ones in progress.
In the spirit of this thread I think we should include some success stories as all of the links posted have been tragedies. What about that dog that climbed all of the Colorado 14ers? And also the dog that lived at the bottom of Quandary and climbed it hundreds of times on his own without his owners (obviously he must've gotten some enjoyment out of the climb)... these stories are truly inspiring and make you love dogs even more.

It's been said before and I believe it to be true that the owner makes all the difference. Frankly, I've been appalled when I've seen weiner dogs or pugs about to die halfway up front-range 14ers. I was almost as appalled when a malamute just pissed on my backpack out of nowhere on top of Bierstadt. But I'm more appalled at that Malamute's owner and his response after his dog basically ruined my backpack.. He just assumed everyone loved his dog enough to put up with the smell of it's piss from now on when hiking!

However, I'm inspired when I hear stories that I mentioned above... of dogs achieving great accomplishments and of dogs proving that they actually enjoy the adventure of hiking... not just blindly following their owners... it makes the bond between dog and man that much stronger. I think dogs feed off of us and when we're in our happiest moments it's very likely that they are too :-k and man I'm rarely unhappy at 14k+ in CO!

EDIT: Found threads
Last edited by oldschoolczar on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
oldschoolczar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

“what matters most is
how well you