Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 am

Still no explanation of why 8 days with no action on his part other than a call to SAR back on the 5th. Must have been too busy moving on with his life while Missy sat up there. I'm sorry, but 'not thinking about posting flyers at the TH' is a joke.

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 am

the fact this dude left his dog to die while making zero effort to save her tells me everything i need to know about him.

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:31 am

Still no explanation of why 8 days with no action on his part other than a call to SAR back on the 5th. Must have been too busy moving on with his life while Missy sat up there. I'm sorry, but 'not thinking about posting flyers at the TH' is a joke. No sympathy for anyone but Missy here. 21kmiller, are you telling me if this exact story with all the same holes in it involved someone other than your friend, that you would advocate the dog being returned?

Postby 21kmiller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 am

To the person who says I am leaving out the reason why Anthony left her there... He was distraught from the hike, tired, weak and injured with large blisters and could barely walk... for a person that could barely walk, caught in a storm and not thinking clearly I think he did what he had to do under those circumstances. There is nothing to be left out of the story other than it was simply a bad trip, with some bad decisions and a huge learningn experience for all. I pray that Missy is re-united with him becuase I know without a doubt the love Anthony and Missy share... she stayed in one spot becuase dogs have a better survival instinct than humans and I guarentee she was to hurt to climb down herself otherwise she would have been able to make it down with Anthony. There are a lot of people that do far worse things to animals and their pets yet we are going to sit here and deprive him of seeing his dog? That doesnt make sense... I know and everyone here should know that making a decision like would not be easy.. they have hiked 6 other 14ers together and all of them were successful!! So please lets try to focus on the mere fact that Missy is alive, Anthony has come forward admitting where his faults were, lets respect that and do the right thing to get these 2 back together. Please and thank you.

Postby screeman57 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 am

Honest question: Who's decision is it whether the owner gets the dog back? Is there anyone out there with legal experience in this area?

My fear is that the dog will go back to aortalani14 without question.

Appalling.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby aortolani14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 am

Thank you for those with positive support and some understanding. To those that are exceedingly upset with all of this I understand, please be glad with me that Missy, the rescuers, my friends son, and me are all okay. All of this is nothing short of a miracle. It is easy to pass judgement without actually having been there, or with me for the next several days. All of this was a first time thing. God forbid it ever happens again, but if it does I know there is a huge community of amazing people out there who will help.

Postby thetoddman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 am

screeman57 wrote:Honest question: Who's decision is it whether the owner gets the dog back? Is there anyone out there with legal experience in this area?

My fear is that the dog will go back to aortalani14 without question.

Appalling.

I'm not a lawyer, but dogs are considered personal property in Colorado. He will get the dog back if he's assisted.

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:39 am

Wow. Some serious venting going on here. I understand the disgust with the dog owner, but I am starting to wonder how long the flogging will last. I just don't feel the disgust and anger that many seem to exhibit here.

I am no legal expert, but my guess is that the dog still rightfully belongs to the owner. Hopefully he will follow up on his promise to reimburse all involved for their expenses (vet bills, mileage to/from Guanella Pass for all searchers) and perhaps to do something for 14ers.com (Bill would know best). More importantly, hopefully he has learned some lessons about taking risks with your pet, and will change his behavior.

I can understand the decisions Anthony made at the time things got scary on the Sawtooth. The follow-up actions (or lack thereof) are more perplexing, but it is entirely plausible that Anthony was in a pretty sever state of distress. The community here is diverse and experienced group, and the resourcefulness of the community was to brought to bear on this emergency. But an individual, especially one who is apparently not dialed in to this type of community, probably has fewer options.

Missy belongs with Anthony. The rescuers deserve Anthony's eternal gratitude. Anthony deserves another chance.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby 21kmiller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:40 am

I say a second chance is in order also! I have know both Missy and Anthony for many years! I appreciate the hikers who found her and arranged the rescue to get her donw, I am beyond words to express my gratefulness for them and everyone else who helped. I know damn well that if Anthony had heard about this sooner he would have hopped in right away! I say that this is a miralce becuase of the people involved in the rescue, the fact that Missy is still alive and the courage it took for Anthony to make a decision like that to help save his own life and his friend. I think a lot of people can understand this.... please lets forgive him and help Missy and ANthony back together, please! =)
Attachments
DSC_0636.JPG
DSC_0636.JPG (97.37 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Postby madbuck » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 am

Fletch wrote:Yup. Bill is right. The most important thing is that the dog is OK.

Very cool of the owner to stand up and take responsibility. He/she could easily have not posted and this would have continued to be a bitch session for a few days until the thread just died and we all moved on with our lives.

But, I think the dog might have a new home and that's OK. The owner thought the dog died, so... to the owner, it has. He/she should move on. And for the new owner, it's the beginning of something cool and special.

Dogs are far more forgiving than humans. Lets follow their lead and try and forgive this guy/gal. After all, it's a happy ending...

Fletch, you summed up what I was thinking.
It's a tough spot for the previous owner: he does love his dog, and if he "gives up" trying to get her back, then it would be the same lack of tenacity and love that's already been questioned.
At the same time, the dog was feared to be dead, but is not, thanks to the concern, hard work, and risk of others. I don't have a good answer here.

Postby NinjaKatie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:45 am

I work part-time at a dog kennel, I have rescued truly abused dogs. Missy, being abandoned by her human is very sad. Missy, though she would adapt well to a new home, would pee herself silly to get back to Anthony. We all see the rescuers as heros, truly giving of the best part of our human nature. Those who rescued Missy should not close the door on Anthony. You should, at the very least, agree to meet him, and then decide. You could be responsible for rescuing two souls; Missy's and Anthony's. Don't miss that opportunity in your anger. I too, find it difficult to understand the lack of follow up on Anthony's part. But it appears, he would not be the only one to suffer the loss of his dog and he is most certainly suffering. Maybe he does deserve it, after failing to reach out in all the ways suggested. I did not have the opportunity to take part in the rescue, I've only been a stalker of the thread and have an ex who works at 9News (which is how I believe the story got to them). In the end, it will most likely be up to the rescuers, as they have Missy. Make certain that you are willing to break someone's heart twice, as I'm fairly certain, Anthony's will be broken again to lose the life he thought was saved by some pretty brave and caring angels..and just in time.

Postby aortolani14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 am

Hungry Jack wrote:Wow. Some serious venting going on here. I understand the disgust with the dog owner, but I am starting to wonder how long the flogging will last. I just don't feel the disgust and anger that many seem to exhibit here.

I am no legal expert, but my guess is that the dog still rightfully belongs to the owner. Hopefully he will follow up on his promise to reimburse all involved for their expenses (vet bills, mileage to/from Guanella Pass for all searchers) and perhaps to do something for 14ers.com (Bill would know best). More importantly, hopefully he has learned some lessons about taking risks with your pet, and will change his behavior.

I can understand the decisions Anthony made at the time things got scary on the Sawtooth. The follow-up actions (or lack thereof) are more perplexing, but it is entirely plausible that Anthony was in a pretty sever state of distress. The community here is diverse and experienced group, and the resourcefulness of the community was to brought to bear on this emergency. But an individual, especially one who is apparently not dialed in to this type of community, probably has fewer options.

Missy belongs with Anthony. The rescuers deserve Anthony's eternal gratitude. Anthony deserves another chance.

Thank you so much. I don't have words enough to show gratitude. I don't think all of the money in the world will compensate people risking their lives for my dog, but I would gladly fill all of their gas tanks, by them dinner, donate to the website and pay the vet bill. I don't even know if I have that much money, but I will borrow it if I have to, I am already in debt to these people!!!

PreviousNext