Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Postby Navigaiter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm

live4pc wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:Let’s reserve judgment on the owner until we know what happened. It’s conceivable she was with a family who drove up Mt Evans, chased a marmot and got lost. If they weren’t climbers they wouldn’t know about 14ers.com but perhaps tried other ways to publicize. They could have contacted who they thought were the proper authorities. Think of the prolifera of overlapping and multiple jurisdictions we have in even a single county. A lost dog isn’t going to be the highest priority to some of them as was eluded to early in this thread. A found dog and a lost dog report might not get matched up if either of them languished on the wrong desk. There could be a kid crying himself to sleep tonight not knowing his best friend is now safe.

Agree, this thread is a good example of what happens when we jump to conclusions and unorganized search plans.

Unorganized search plans that resulted in one of the most amazing and heartwarming stories in many years. Thanks a ton to the unorganized folk who saved an innocent life! Most of us really appreciate it.

Postby harripat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 pm

I have followed 14ers.com posts for quite some without posting anything. I cannot think of a better time to make a first post. Well done to all of those involved - you truly are heroes in every sense of the word.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm

live4pc wrote:Glad the dog is well and everyone on the task are well and good.

Amen. I like a good ending. Regardless of the apparent disposition of the owners, I hope they are safe too.

N-I-C-E D-O-G-G-I-E ...
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Massholeo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Outstanding, certainly good to hear, particularly as one of the folks whose heart may have been bigger than his head that initial night. Great job to all involved, not an easy task.

Postby RockyMtnHigh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Navigaiter wrote:
live4pc wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:Let’s reserve judgment on the owner until we know what happened. It’s conceivable she was with a family who drove up Mt Evans, chased a marmot and got lost. If they weren’t climbers they wouldn’t know about 14ers.com but perhaps tried other ways to publicize. They could have contacted who they thought were the proper authorities. Think of the prolifera of overlapping and multiple jurisdictions we have in even a single county. A lost dog isn’t going to be the highest priority to some of them as was eluded to early in this thread. A found dog and a lost dog report might not get matched up if either of them languished on the wrong desk. There could be a kid crying himself to sleep tonight not knowing his best friend is now safe.

Agree, this thread is a good example of what happens when we jump to conclusions and unorganized search plans.

Unorganized search plans that resulted in one of the most amazing and heartwarming stories in many years. Thanks a ton to the unorganized folk who saved an innocent life! Most of us really appreciate it.

This, don't let the downer Debby's and negative Nancy's take anything away from what you guys accomplished. If the world had more people like the one's who took on this undertaking it would be a MUCH better place.

Postby cybrhikr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Amen to that RockyMtnHigh.You are so right.

Postby Robzilla » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 pm

I kind of wondered when I first read this thread and read that the owners and dog were possibly spotted earlier if maybe they got into a bad spot and had to make the decision to leave her to save themselves. It is odd that no lost dog ads were found. Perhaps they ditched her and assumed she had died. Whatever the case, if the original owner does prove to be unworthy I would imagine some of the rescuers can convince them she's got a better home elsewhere. On the off chance that it is someone missing and looking for their dog I've been doing my best to reserve judgement (not that my anonymous approval from 800 miles away matters one damn bit) and simply bask in the warmth of knowing that somebody did a kickass job of saving a lost dog.

Thanks, it made all of our days, and it most certainly made hers.

Postby Timmmber » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 pm

HIGH FIVE!!! THE NEXT ROUND IS ON ME!!
amazing job, I will sleep better tonight knowing the pup is safe, and there are amazing people that actually give a crap!!

Postby somethingrandom » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Amen, and thank you to all you brave souls who were rescuing her at the time I was reading this post for the first time. You are all heroes in my book.

Robzilla wrote:I kind of wondered when I first read this thread and read that the owners and dog were possibly spotted earlier if maybe they got into a bad spot and had to make the decision to leave her to save themselves. It is odd that no lost dog ads were found. Perhaps they ditched her and assumed she had died. Whatever the case, if the original owner does prove to be unworthy I would imagine some of the rescuers can convince them she's got a better home elsewhere. On the off chance that it is someone missing and looking for their dog I've been doing my best to reserve judgement (not that my anonymous approval from 800 miles away matters one damn bit) and simply bask in the warmth of knowing that somebody did a kickass job of saving a lost dog.

Thanks, it made all of our days, and it most certainly made hers.

I will personally sign up to be the first to punch her stupid owner in the face. Should he/she have suffered a worse fate than their UNWILLING companion, I certainly cant fault them. Leaving your obligation on a rock to die and not reporting it like a piece of s**t left under a log...? Nah.... Not worth more than a chunk of spit.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby ketel1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm

9News just ran the story!
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby slopestyle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 pm

I just logged on about an hour ago, spent most of that time reading this thread. I'm glad to head that it looks like she'll be ok. Good work to those of you that went up to carry her out. I guess I need to get on the site more often, I didn't do much of anything this weekend :oops:

~Sam
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"

Postby toekramp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 pm

The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
Colette

PreviousNext