The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
klinger
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by klinger »

aortolani14 wrote:I am reading through all of these threads, and I am just in awe of how heroic and amazing everyone is that did this. I also see all of the anger and hatred towards me and the decision that I made. I feel that I deserve it all. I made it in a panic to be sure, and what I felt was a survival situation. I didn't think to post on 14er's.com to ask for everyone to come fix my colossal mistake in judgement. It is truly amazing that all of you did it on your own. I don't have proper words. It was several days before I would have even been able to even think of walking back up Bierstadt much less into the sawtooth and to try and carry Missy out, and after that I just thought it would be to late. I honestly never thought that I could just ask strangers to go check the sawtooth and carry my 112lb German Shepard out. I don't know what to say. Thank you again to the community, and to those who are angry I am so so sorry. Missy has done 6 14'ers and she loves being out there in the mountains. She depends on me to make smart choices, and taking her into the sawtooth was beyond foolish.
WOW just...wow... happy endings...some harsh lessons here....no doubt some to be taught by some angry 14erites...this website wants to keep your dog.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

I am sitting here refreshing the screen over and over waiting for people to wake. I am very certain that I have quite the s**t storm coming. But I have to take the good with the bad, with something this good there is a lot of bad I suppose. They can say what ever they want, I will read and learn from every single word. It was my arrogance that put Missy in that situation. I don't ever want to do anything that could possibly risk her life again. I can't wait to hike with her again, but I will never put her in danger again.
AlexMack
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexMack »

Yeah I'm pretty much refreshing this at work, this is going to get amusing in a couple of hours. I give you giant balls points for coming out here. Welcome to 14ers.com, we like your dog.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

AlexMack wrote:Yeah I'm pretty much refreshing this at work, this is going to get amusing in a couple of hours. I give you giant balls points for coming out here. Welcome to 14ers.com, we like your dog.
Thank you for the support. I'll take the lashings. I'm just happy she's okay. This is all so crazy. Missy is an amazing girl. She was born in New York and lived there for three years. She's been here with me now for two years. She is very well trained and extremely loving and protecting. She is by far the most amazing dog I have ever had the privilege to own. I'm just so thankful right now. I want to see her so badly. This is very much a back from the grave thing right now, I really thought she was gone. I checked the forums here to see if there was any news and I Googled "Dog found on Bierstadt" for a few days after, but I didn't see anything. I wish I would've posted something. Now I am just glad someone else did.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

@ Alex Mack - I was reading this quote earlier as I was reading the article. Thank you for putting it up here. I can say with affirmation, that it is true.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
2_Salukis
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 2_Salukis »

I for one don't fault you for any decision on choosing to save yourself and your friend, while deciding to abandon your dog. It's no different than a house fire when people make sure their family members are safe before their pets. It's a dilemma I wouldn't wish on any pet owner. We're a tough crowd, love 2nd-guessing, and there are more than a few posts about how foolish people have been not to have gotten themselves off the mountains earlier when dangerous weather rolled in.

But the decisions to.....
1. get in that position in the first place (going beyond both her limits and your limits as her provider)
2. just assume she was gone (why would you even think that?)
3. not go back and look for her (did you even post Lost Dog signs at the TH?)
...were IMO extremely irresponsible and unjustifiable.

But I wasn't part of the rescue and you don't owe me squat or an explanation.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

2_Salukis wrote:I for one don't fault you for any decision on choosing to save yourself and your friend, while deciding to abandon your dog. It's no different than a house fire when people make sure their family members are safe before their pets. It's a dilemma I wouldn't wish on any pet owner. We're a tough crowd, love 2nd-guessing, and there are more than a few posts about how foolish people have been not to have gotten themselves off the mountains earlier when dangerous weather rolled in.

But the decisions to.....
1. get in that position in the first place (going beyond both her limits and your limits as her provider)
2. just assume she was gone (why would you even think that?)
3. not go back and look for her (did you even post Lost Dog signs at the TH?)
...were IMO extremely irresponsible and unjustifiable.

But I wasn't part of the rescue and you don't owe me squat or an explanation.

I agree completely. I didn't post signs at the trailhead. I don't know, it seems obvious now. I owe anyone who was concerned an explanation and an apology. Everything about this experience is humbling. As far as thinking she was gone, a mix of talking to a lot of people who were trying to help me and just stress and sadness from the whole situation. Still irresponsible, and unjustifiable. I am sorry.
wisejared
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wisejared »

We are all human and all make mistakes. Good for you for admitting yours in a setting in which you will undoubtedly hear about them over and over again. There are obvious lessons to be learned, but I hope people can find forgiveness and that you get your dog back.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

I keep reading all of this thread and I am just floored. The character and fortitude of the people here is unbelievable. I don't feel that I will be able to express to people how much I really do love her. I am in tears right now reading through this. I have never been in a bad situation of this magnitude in the wilderness before. I was thankful to get back safely, and immediately after that the guilt and sadness was overwhelming. The trek out passed abyss lake and down to the Scott Gomer Creek TH was taxing. We got lost a couple of times because that trail is not maintained or well traveled. Honestly if it wasn't for the hunters that we ran into who showed us the way out this story would still be a total mystery. I am in debt to so many people right now and I don't think there is anyway to repay them except to promise them all that I will never put Missy in that kind of danger again. I do take good care of her. You can ask anyone who knows us. I take her everywhere with me, and we hike several times a month. My handling of this whole situation so poorly is inexperience and being overwhelmed. I have never been so humble in my life.
Last edited by aortolani14 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

wisejared wrote:We are all human and all make mistakes. Good for you for admitting yours in a setting in which you will undoubtedly hear about them over and over again. There are obvious lessons to be learned, but I hope people can find forgiveness and that you get your dog back.
Thank you so much.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

aortolani14 wrote:Missy was hurt during an attempt at crossing the Sawtooth.

The next couple of days was absolutely horrible wondering about her, if she was alive, or if she died. Thinking about her suffering was awful beyond words.

Many confidants comforted me by saying that she was probably gone from injury.

All I can say is that I am relieved that she is okay, I am ashamed that it was not me that started this thread, I am ashamed that it wasn't me who got her off of the mountain, I underestimated the good will and resolve of the hiking community of Colorado, and I am eternally grateful to all of you and to 9news.
What day did you climb Bierstadt?

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
shea_nb
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shea_nb »

Wow!!! I will have to say it's very strong of you to come forward about all of this. Although for the safety of the dog and comfort of those involved with the rescue. I would not give you any information about the dog until proof of ownership and compensation to those involved could be given. I do find it kind of interesting the dog had no id tags. Just a rabies tag. Deliberate? or Coincidence? I would agree it was very important you were able to get yourself out of imminent danger. Just like if your in a plane with a loss of cabin pressure you put your mask on before your kids, BUT YOU still have to put your kids on. No reason to be upset anymore about all of this the dog is safe. I would just ask those involved to do what they think is best for the dog. Not cater to the emotions of a grieving individual who feels overwhelmed with a flurry of emotions about their dog coming back from the dead.

Shea