Forum rules
This forum is read-only
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by SolarAlex »

we took turns carrying her in a backpack from the low point on the sawtooth over bierstadt, and down to id guess about 12500 feet. she started squirming in the pack so we let her out and she walked like a champ the rest of the way. she also ate and drank, and went to the bathroom. considering what she had been through, she was in remarkably good health/spirits. hopefully nothing that some love in the form of lots of food and a couch cant fix.

i cant even begin to say how glad i am that this was the outcome, and how glad i was to be a part of it. to think that such a gentle, sweet dog was abandoned and left to die in the mountains breaks my heart.
Vincit Qui Patitur
LuLuLuv
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

Awesome job SolarAlex! She was out there an entire week correct? I read the post that someone had spoken to the previous owner. Did he try to explain anything? Offer to pay vet bills etc?...
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Man, that is a beautiful dog, in more ways than one. She is now forever a part of 14ers.com, as are her rescuers.
please rotate your device
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

It is fitting that my first post here be in this thread. I can't thank the rescuers enough for helping get her down. I've been following this heartbreaking story since I first saw it posted, and as someone who remembers the ordeal of the Torreys Peak dog from a few years back, followed the long, gut-wrenching search for Sam the Wonder Dog (if I remember his name correctly) back in the early 2000s, and who's a full-fledged dog lover, I think the spirit, determination, and pure heart that went into getting her down safely is one of the most moving and powerful things I've read in a long time. I wanted badly to call in sick to work today to help you all out. It killed me when I first saw this, and short of the owner being missing or suffering a worse fate, there is absolutely zero excuse for an act that can only be described as hellishly cruel.

But enough of that for now. Thank you for bringing a huge, positive ray of sunshine into 14ers.com. I shed a few tears today, and I'll probably shed a few more. As soon as I saw the picture of her in the car, that was it. The poor thing had no clue what had happened. She just knew she was alone, hurt, scared, hungry, thirsty, and tired. She deserves a home with one of you. It needs to be a clear goal to never let this dog fall back into the hands of monsters such as the ones who left her.

Simply amazing.
MNHiker
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MNHiker »

Very happy to hear about the safe rescue of the dog! I've been following updates throughout the day when possible at work and wish I could've been up there with everyone if it wasn't for work. Hopefully the story of how she came to be left up there becomes available. The response on this site was inspiring and once again, fantastic job to all those who risked their own safety to save that dog!
brendanmagee13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brendanmagee13 »

Hearing this news made my day. Wish I could of been there to help.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

This made my day - great news - and fantastic efforts to all those who made this outcome a reality! =D>
Awashburn wrote:Hi Everyone,

First picture of her off the mountain. I wanted to share.
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

As I was telling the story behind this thread to a non-climbing friend, I had an uncomfortable thought. If the heroes who rescued her and have her in custody try to make contact with her 'owner', it's possible that that person may try to take her back. I'd hate to see that happen, given that there are very few circumstances that could warrant what was done. I'm wondering if it might be better to not attempt that contact?
Last edited by thetoddman on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

A huge THANK YOU to all from a fellow dog lover. People like you truly make this world a better place. It makes me happy knowing she is ok and that there are people out there willing to do such good things.

I hope this story gets a little exposure of some sort other than this website. Maybe someone will recognize the dog and therefore the owner.
Vinegaroon
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

Wonderful work! Thanks to y'all who conducted the rescue!
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

I love a happy ending! :D Kudos to the rescue team! =D>
hvolmer
14ers: 20 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hvolmer »

thetoddman wrote:As I was telling the story behind this thread to a non-climbing friend, I had an uncomfortable thought. If the heroes who rescued her and have her in custody try to make contact with her 'owner', it's possible that that person may try to take her back. I'd hate to see that happen, given that there are very few circumstances that could warrant what was done. I'm wondering if it might be better to not attempt that contact?
I hope those of us that contacted animal control don't inadvertently cause this to happen. They will want to talk to the owner.