Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by aortolani14 »

Thank you for those with positive support and some understanding. To those that are exceedingly upset with all of this I understand, please be glad with me that Missy, the rescuers, my friends son, and me are all okay. All of this is nothing short of a miracle. It is easy to pass judgement without actually having been there, or with me for the next several days. All of this was a first time thing. God forbid it ever happens again, but if it does I know there is a huge community of amazing people out there who will help.
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

screeman57 wrote:Honest question: Who's decision is it whether the owner gets the dog back? Is there anyone out there with legal experience in this area?

My fear is that the dog will go back to aortalani14 without question.

Appalling.
I'm not a lawyer, but dogs are considered personal property in Colorado. He will get the dog back if he's assisted.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Wow. Some serious venting going on here. I understand the disgust with the dog owner, but I am starting to wonder how long the flogging will last. I just don't feel the disgust and anger that many seem to exhibit here.

I am no legal expert, but my guess is that the dog still rightfully belongs to the owner. Hopefully he will follow up on his promise to reimburse all involved for their expenses (vet bills, mileage to/from Guanella Pass for all searchers) and perhaps to do something for 14ers.com (Bill would know best). More importantly, hopefully he has learned some lessons about taking risks with your pet, and will change his behavior.

I can understand the decisions Anthony made at the time things got scary on the Sawtooth. The follow-up actions (or lack thereof) are more perplexing, but it is entirely plausible that Anthony was in a pretty sever state of distress. The community here is diverse and experienced group, and the resourcefulness of the community was to brought to bear on this emergency. But an individual, especially one who is apparently not dialed in to this type of community, probably has fewer options.

Missy belongs with Anthony. The rescuers deserve Anthony's eternal gratitude. Anthony deserves another chance.
please rotate your device
21kmiller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 21kmiller »

I say a second chance is in order also! I have know both Missy and Anthony for many years! I appreciate the hikers who found her and arranged the rescue to get her donw, I am beyond words to express my gratefulness for them and everyone else who helped. I know damn well that if Anthony had heard about this sooner he would have hopped in right away! I say that this is a miralce becuase of the people involved in the rescue, the fact that Missy is still alive and the courage it took for Anthony to make a decision like that to help save his own life and his friend. I think a lot of people can understand this.... please lets forgive him and help Missy and ANthony back together, please! =)
Attachments
DSC_0636.JPG
DSC_0636.JPG (97.37 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Fletch wrote: Yup. Bill is right. The most important thing is that the dog is OK.

Very cool of the owner to stand up and take responsibility. He/she could easily have not posted and this would have continued to be a bitch session for a few days until the thread just died and we all moved on with our lives.

But, I think the dog might have a new home and that's OK. The owner thought the dog died, so... to the owner, it has. He/she should move on. And for the new owner, it's the beginning of something cool and special.

Dogs are far more forgiving than humans. Lets follow their lead and try and forgive this guy/gal. After all, it's a happy ending...

Fletch, you summed up what I was thinking.
It's a tough spot for the previous owner: he does love his dog, and if he "gives up" trying to get her back, then it would be the same lack of tenacity and love that's already been questioned.
At the same time, the dog was feared to be dead, but is not, thanks to the concern, hard work, and risk of others. I don't have a good answer here.
NinjaKatie
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NinjaKatie »

I work part-time at a dog kennel, I have rescued truly abused dogs. Missy, being abandoned by her human is very sad. Missy, though she would adapt well to a new home, would pee herself silly to get back to Anthony. We all see the rescuers as heros, truly giving of the best part of our human nature. Those who rescued Missy should not close the door on Anthony. You should, at the very least, agree to meet him, and then decide. You could be responsible for rescuing two souls; Missy's and Anthony's. Don't miss that opportunity in your anger. I too, find it difficult to understand the lack of follow up on Anthony's part. But it appears, he would not be the only one to suffer the loss of his dog and he is most certainly suffering. Maybe he does deserve it, after failing to reach out in all the ways suggested. I did not have the opportunity to take part in the rescue, I've only been a stalker of the thread and have an ex who works at 9News (which is how I believe the story got to them). In the end, it will most likely be up to the rescuers, as they have Missy. Make certain that you are willing to break someone's heart twice, as I'm fairly certain, Anthony's will be broken again to lose the life he thought was saved by some pretty brave and caring angels..and just in time.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

Hungry Jack wrote:Wow. Some serious venting going on here. I understand the disgust with the dog owner, but I am starting to wonder how long the flogging will last. I just don't feel the disgust and anger that many seem to exhibit here.

I am no legal expert, but my guess is that the dog still rightfully belongs to the owner. Hopefully he will follow up on his promise to reimburse all involved for their expenses (vet bills, mileage to/from Guanella Pass for all searchers) and perhaps to do something for 14ers.com (Bill would know best). More importantly, hopefully he has learned some lessons about taking risks with your pet, and will change his behavior.

I can understand the decisions Anthony made at the time things got scary on the Sawtooth. The follow-up actions (or lack thereof) are more perplexing, but it is entirely plausible that Anthony was in a pretty sever state of distress. The community here is diverse and experienced group, and the resourcefulness of the community was to brought to bear on this emergency. But an individual, especially one who is apparently not dialed in to this type of community, probably has fewer options.

Missy belongs with Anthony. The rescuers deserve Anthony's eternal gratitude. Anthony deserves another chance.

Thank you so much. I don't have words enough to show gratitude. I don't think all of the money in the world will compensate people risking their lives for my dog, but I would gladly fill all of their gas tanks, by them dinner, donate to the website and pay the vet bill. I don't even know if I have that much money, but I will borrow it if I have to, I am already in debt to these people!!!
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

I say a second chance is in order also! I have know both Missy and Anthony for many years! I appreciate the hikers who found her and arranged the rescue to get her donw, I am beyond words to express my gratefulness for them and everyone else who helped. I know damn well that if Anthony had heard about this sooner he would have hopped in right away! I say that this is a miralce becuase of the people involved in the rescue, the fact that Missy is still alive and the courage it took for Anthony to make a decision like that to help save his own life and his friend. I think a lot of people can understand this.... please lets forgive him and help Missy and ANthony back together, please! =)
Missy's previous owner didn't offer her a second chance. It took others to help her, and it is with those others that she belongs.
Last edited by Navigaiter on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I hope this thread will serve as a reminder to those thinking of bringing a dog on anything more than a walk-up: You should be able to carry down anything you bring up the mountain.
Amen.

How long will it be before I read a thread entitled "WILL MY DOG NEED BOOTIES TO DO CAPITOL'S KNIFE EDGE?"
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

NinjaKatie wrote:I work part-time at a dog kennel, I have rescued truly abused dogs. Missy, being abandoned by her human is very sad. Missy, though she would adapt well to a new home, would pee herself silly to get back to Anthony. We all see the rescuers as heros, truly giving of the best part of our human nature. Those who rescued Missy should not close the door on Anthony. You should, at the very least, agree to meet him, and then decide. You could be responsible for rescuing two souls; Missy's and Anthony's. Don't miss that opportunity in your anger. I too, find it difficult to understand the lack of follow up on Anthony's part. But it appears, he would not be the only one to suffer the loss of his dog and he is most certainly suffering. Maybe he does deserve it, after failing to reach out in all the ways suggested. I did not have the opportunity to take part in the rescue, I've only been a stalker of the thread and have an ex who works at 9News (which is how I believe the story got to them). In the end, it will most likely be up to the rescuers, as they have Missy. Make certain that you are willing to break someone's heart twice, as I'm fairly certain, Anthony's will be broken again to lose the life he thought was saved by some pretty brave and caring angels..and just in time.

Thank you!! You are right! Thank you so much!!
lpyle
14ers: 20  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lpyle »

I'm definitely not a legal expert, but I think those who have said that a court would give Missy back to Anthony are correct. However, his actions may well qualify legally as animal cruelty and he could be subject to a misdemeanor charge and fines. From the University of Vermont's page on Equine Law, here is a section from the Colorado law on animal cruelty:

18-9-202. Cruelty to animals--neglect of animals--offenses--repeal
(1)(a) A person commits cruelty to animals if he knowingly or with criminal negligence overdrives, overloads, overworks, tortures, torments, deprives of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beats, needlessly mutilates, needlessly kills, carries or confines in or upon any vehicles in a cruel or reckless manner, or otherwise mistreats or neglects any animal, or causes or procures it to be done, or, having the charge or custody of any animal, fails to provide it with proper food, drink, or protection from the weather, or abandons it.
(b) Any person who intentionally abandons a dog or cat commits the offense of cruelty to animals.
(2)(a) Cruelty to animals is a class 1 misdemeanor.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

I think Anthony should spend the entire day at the Bierstadt trailhead (with Missy at his side) holding a sign that reads:

"Not only did I abandon this dog on the Sawtooth, but I left her there for eight days."

Only then should he be able to get Missy back...