"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by MUni Rider »

kimism72 wrote:Once the dog has been located, assessed, rescued and begins treatment and recovery, let's set up a fund for her bills and try to get her adopted! Wish I could take her! I will certainly help facilitate anything within my means to help her!
I am about to become very unpopular with many people on this forum, but so be it. Flame away if you just got to get the last word in. You can have it. I won't be responding to this thread again.

I've been following this thread during my graveyard shifts at work. Some of it has been a bit sad to think of the poor dog, then pitiful to think it was all a troll, then maybe-maybe not, and now it sounds like there really is a dog out there. The finally chapter has yet to be written, for sure.

Regardless, it's just a dog. We all want to see it rescued, but it's just a dog, not a child, not human. A dog. I love animals, and have had dogs and cats my whole life, but now there are calls for setting up a fund for fido's medical bills? Really? The dog's owner can pay the vet bills themself, IMO.

Now the reason I am posting.

If you really have that much disposible income there are a TON of more worthy causes out there. People, not dogs, but REAL people are hurting more than some lost puppy. Here is link you can click for one such person. http://supportcaleb.com/ He is one of the victims from the Batman shooting. His wife gave birth a couple days after the shooting as well. She is going to school to become a veterinarian, so you'd still be helping dogs, if that helps you decide.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
tbaileymd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tbaileymd »

Ah, the "how can you think of helping x species, when there are starving humans" argument.

Dogs were bred by humans to follow us, be faithful, etc. Stay by our sides, defend us from danger. Ward off loneliness. Because of that, a lot of people feel responsibility toward not only their own dogs, but any dogs they may encounter who are in trouble.

If this dog was abandoned up there and not reported, and the owner(s) are found, paying the medical bills will probably be the least of their worries.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

MUni Rider wrote:
kimism72 wrote:Once the dog has been located, assessed, rescued and begins treatment and recovery, let's set up a fund for her bills and try to get her adopted! Wish I could take her! I will certainly help facilitate anything within my means to help her!

Regardless, it's just a dog. We all want to see it rescued, but it's just a dog, not a child, not human. A dog. I love animals, and have had dogs and cats my whole life, but now there are calls for setting up a fund for fido's medical bills? Really? The dog's owner can pay the vet bills themself, IMO.

If you really have that much disposible income there are a TON of more worthy causes out there. People, not dogs, but REAL people are hurting more than some lost puppy. Here is link you can click for one such person. http://supportcaleb.com/ He is one of the victims from the Batman shooting. His wife gave birth a couple days after the shooting as well. She is going to school to become a veterinarian, so you'd still be helping dogs, if that helps you decide.
Good grief.

This is the classic EDITfallacy that charitable giving somehow represents a "zero sum" choice where less worthy causes crowd out more worthy ones.

The OP is making a simple economic choice by electing to support the dog rescue. In a truly free society we have these choices and are free to exercise them, without judgment (Unfortunately, far too many people in our society do not have the economic freedom to choose jobs, schools, neighborhoods, charitable acts, etc. We need to fix this to make America strong again. But I digress).

How do you know the OP does not support the shooting victims? How do you know that the OP has some strong personal story that makes supporting the dog rescue a very valuable thing to him/her?

IMO, it is the height of conceit and ignorance to judge someone's charitable choices. I live in a fairly wealthy neighborhood in Chicago. I have put a lot of time and energy lately into developing a small children's park on our block because we have lots of little ones. Is this making our society worse off? Is this not a judicious use of personal resources for public good?

I likely won't be financially supporting the dog rescue, but not because I think it is a poor use of resources.
Last edited by Hungry Jack on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
please rotate your device
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

Hungry Jack wrote:
MUni Rider wrote:

Good grief.

This is the classic Liberal fallacy that charitable giving somehow represents a "zero sum" choice where less worthy causes crowd out more worthy ones.

The OP is making a simple economic choice by electing to support the dog rescue. In a truly free society we have these choices and are free to exercise them, without judgment (Unfortunately, far too many people in our society do not have the economic freedom to choose jobs, schools, neighborhoods, charitable acts, etc. We need to fix this to make America strong again. But I digress).

How do you know the OP does not support the shooting victims? How do you know that the OP has some strong personal story that makes supporting the dog rescue a very valuable thing to him/her?

IMO, it is the height of conceit and ignorance to judge someone's charitable choices. I live in a fairly wealthy neighborhood in Chicago. I have put a lot of time and energy lately into developing a small children's park on our block because we have lots of little ones. Is this making our society worse off? Is this not a judicious use of personal resources for public good?

I likely won't be financially supporting the dog rescue, but not because I think it is a poor use of resources.
AMEN. =D>

If I hadnt just read about this, this morning, I would be up there looking for man's best friend. If you want a cynic, if the owner truly did leave the dog there and didnt report it, better be because they are in worse shape than the dog right now.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

[quote="MUni Rider"]Regardless, it's just a dog. We all want to see it rescued, but it's just a dog, not a child, not human. A dog. I love animals, and have had dogs and cats my whole life, but now there are calls for setting up a fund for fido's medical bills? Really? The dog's owner can pay the vet bills themself, IMO.

If you really have that much disposible income there are a TON of more worthy causes out there. People, not dogs, but REAL people are hurting more than some lost puppy. Here is link you can click for one such person. [url]http://supportcaleb.com/[/url] He is one of the victims from the Batman shooting. His wife gave birth a couple days after the shooting as well. She is going to school to become a veterinarian, so you'd still be helping dogs, if that helps you decide.[/quote]

Thanks for the guidance on how we contribute to the planet. We were struggling without your insights. Want to tell us how to make the rest of life's choices?

Do arrogant much? :-"
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

somethingrandom wrote:
If I hadnt just read about this, this morning, I would be up there looking for man's best friend. If you want a cynic, if the owner truly did leave the dog there and didnt report it, better be because they are in worse shape than the dog right now.
Judging by the weather here in Edwards, I'm assuming it's socked in (and nasty) on Bierstadt right now. Sending positive vibes to the group looking for this poor dog. [-o<

I'm wondering about the owner as well. Was it one of the boneheads mentioned in the earlier post by bvolmer? Someone lost, injured or worse? Why not come back for your dog or at least ask for help? :x
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Hungry Jack wrote:
This is the classic Liberal fallacy that charitable giving somehow represents a "zero sum" choice where less worthy causes crowd out more worthy ones.
I like how you found a way to work the word "liberal" into that :roll: Because this thread is so political...
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Geez... I heard everyone in the search party was carrying guns. .22s I think. Discuss...

](*,)
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

oldschoolczar wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:
I like how you found a way to work the word "liberal" into that :roll: Because this thread is so political...
OK. I unworked it.
please rotate your device
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

It's YOUR money so do whatever YOU want to do with it.

Hope the pup is found
Good luck breeds bad habits.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Hungry Jack wrote: I live in a fairly wealthy neighborhood in Chicago. I have put a lot of time and energy lately into developing a small children's park on our block because we have lots of little ones. Is this making our society worse off? Is this not a judicious use of personal resources for public good?
Wow. You're really cool. And wealthy. And a humanitarian. I can't think of enough adjectives to describe you.

Can you start a playground in my neighborhood? One with a fountain and attractive shrubberies?
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!