Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
QoftheU
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by QoftheU »

As the validity of our "realness" is so questionable.
I think its a great idea to scan our ip's. That would put one insignificant issue to rest at least.
Not sure why that is your biggest concern here, but to each his own.

In my initial post I was remiss to express my gratitude to the rescuers.
What you did for Missy was kind and courageous.
Thank god (or whichever deity you prefer) for these boards and these type of people.

To those of you who reached out to Missy- I hope life pays you forward, as you deserve more than that.
To those of you who responded with compassion- I thank you.
To those of you who can't see any perspective, but your own-Hate on, if you must. May life teach you better than that in the future.
To those of you out on those mountains- stay safe.

I've said what I felt compelled to say and so I'm finished here.
I wish you all the best of luck out there!
Tony, Missy will come home and I'm so sorry you had to go through this experience.
I hope this forum explosion and the attention received helps prevent even one person, from ever having to experience this themselves.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

suesue2222
Trip Reports (0)

Post by suesue2222 »

JA_son27 wrote:Congrats on a successful rescue! My wife and I were saddened by this situation, then we were elated by the rescue. But the hate and vitriol toward the owner has darkened an otherwise happy occasion. It's interesting that mob mentality can actually exist on a website forum.
i also regret that the story took a dark turn. it's just painful to imagine that dog up there waiting alone, scared, hurt, hungry, thirsty for all those days and nights with her loving owner not making more of an attempt to help her. i can't imagine assuming she'd die so quickly when her injuries were limited to her paws when they walked away from her. it's easy to get angry when it seems so obvious that there were options available other than sheer abandonment. dogs feel pain and aren't disposable.

OPTIONS (even if you have to go on a life-or-death business trip the next day):

beg friends to bring Missy food, water and shelter to buy some time
have a friend put flyers at the trail head asking for help (include a map on the flyer asking people to bring her food/water)
ad on craigslist asking for help
reach out to mountain climbing groups for help
contact volunteers from the fire department
contact local animal rescue groups for advice or volunteers
if no volunteers can be found (unlikely), pay someone to help!

OR

cry, pray and watch your computer for "found dog" notices while the dog that you love with all your heart suffers and waits - alone on a mountain :shock:

Anthony - i have gained some respect for you for coming forward and admitting your shortcomings, but maybe you should consider a pet rock instead of a dog.
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

QoftheU wrote:As the validity of our "realness" is so questionable.
I think its a great idea to scan our ip's. That would put one insignificant issue to rest at least.
Not sure why that is your biggest concern here, but to each his own.
That is far from my biggest concern here. My biggest concern is that this guy abandoned his dog and then did virtually nothing for eight days afterward to rescue it. He has a daughter, so perhaps he could ask himself what lengths he would have gone to after leaving her up there to rescue her (unless I have missed something - the excuse that he thought that Missy would already be dead is absolute b/s. Dead from what - bloody paws?) And as I pointed out before, I was concerned as soon as I heard about the rescue, that this might be the outcome and hoped that owner contact would not be sought. And time proved me correct. NOW he wants the dog back (after others cared enough to do something for a dog they didn't even know).

Sorry you and your friend are upset - I am too.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

if only society had as much love for their fellow human beings as they do for dogs would the world be a better place :D
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

jdorje wrote:A man was given a dog, which he loved very much. The dog went with him everywhere, but the man could not teach it to do anything useful. The dog would not fetch or point, it would not race or protect or stand watch. Instead the dog sat near him and regarded him, always with the same inscrutable expression. 'That's not a dog, it's a wolf,' said the man's wife. 'He alone is faithful to me,' said the man, and his wife never discussed it with him again.

One day the man took his dog with him into his private airplane and as they flew over high winter mountains, the engines failed and the airplane was torn to shreds among the trees. The man lay bleeding, his belly torn open by blades of sheared metal, steam rising from his organs in the cold air, but all he could think of was his faithful dog. Was he alive? Was he hurt? Imagine his relief when the dog came padding up and regarded him with that same steady gaze. After an hour the dog nosed the man's gaping abdomen, then began pulling out intestines and spleen and liver and gnawing them, all the while studying the man's face.

'Thank God,' said the man. 'At least one of us will not starve.'

:shock: :-&

Holy crap. Is this the story they tell children to make them afraid of dogs and what f-ing purpose does it serve here?
Make wilderness less accessible.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

thetoddman wrote:FOR BILL MIDDLEBROOK:

Just curious if you could (or would) let us know if some of these suddenly-new 14er.com members commenting on this thread are coming from the same IP address?
Looks to me like Anthony is telling the truth.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
rainydayrenee
14ers: 43  1  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rainydayrenee »

I know how mentally gruelling being in a situation like that can affect people, during and after. None of us can assume how Anthony felt afterwards, or tell him what he should have done or could have done. He knows, it took a lot of courage for him to come forward on here to face the scrutiny, judgement, bold statements, hatred, and understanding. We need to realize that his situation could have been easy for some (i.e. many of you on here who are all-stars at being prepared, and avid hikers/climbers), while it could have meant death for others (maybe a 1st 14er, going above and beyond your ability by mistake, etc - we've all seen it happen). We are in no position to feel out Anthony's mental state after the incident. Some people can't think clearly after a traumatic situation, and some people simply FORGET where to look for help when they are upset. Who are we to say what magnitude this affected him? I can't say that I would have remembered to post signs....contact SAR, etc etc. I'd like to think I would, but I won'd know until I'm in a situation like that. It's too hard to say what HE should have done when you personally know of other resources and have 20/20 hindsight to sit here and criticize. I think he was obviously very distraught and namely, probably feeling very guilty! I can't thank the rescuers enough for giving another chance to this dog. I know how upset I would be if I didn't have my pup around. I pose the same questions as most on here, why didn't he do this or that, why didn't he drive to the trailhead the next day, why didn't he contact 14ers. After reading a little about his history about the dog, it's clear it wasn't an easy decision, he clearly loves this dog. It's arrogant for everyone on here to think they'd make the perfect decisions following an incident, too. Simply put, I don't think it's our place to judge since we were not the ones in the initial decision to leave the dog, or the ones facing the emotions post-incident. Stop passing judgement on a person that is not you. He is not going to do everything right, he is not going to act like every angry person on here telling him what he should and should not have done. He didn't, he is obviously feeling poorly, he obviously will learn his lesson about preparedness and animals in precarious situations. I think the judgement he did have - keeping a teenager with him safe - was pretty good judgement on his own, and when faced with a harsh situation sometimes you can't do it all, we can't all be Superman!

It's over, he is human and made mistakes, clearly, and seems like a guy that will learn from mistakes...I think that shows from his courage to come on here to be willingly scrutinized, and broken down much more emotionally than he probably already was feeling. I'm not saying I agree with leaving the animal behind...but I wasn't there. I can't say I can agree with his actions following the incident, but I didn't know he had to work, how he felt, his mental state, etc. Missy is safe, Kudos to the rescuers and the team on here for showing amazing care, but also look inside yourselves and realize that maybe you would not have handled the situation perfectly. And lastly, put yourself in Anthony's shoes at this moment following this trying situtation- and all you wanted was to see your dog, apologize to your dog, and show your care that you know you have for that dog.
QoftheU
Trip Reports (0)

Post by QoftheU »

thetoddman wrote: My biggest concern is that this guy abandoned his dog and then did virtually nothing for eight days afterward to rescue it. He has a daughter, so perhaps he could ask himself what lengths he would have gone to after leaving her up there to rescue her (unless I have missed something - the excuse that he thought that Missy would already be dead is absolute b/s. Dead from what - bloody paws?) And as I pointed out before, I was concerned as soon as I heard about the rescue, that this might be the outcome and hoped that owner contact would not be sought. And time proved me correct. NOW he wants the dog back (after others cared enough to do something for a dog they didn't even know).
This is perspective.
You can choose to open your mind and heart to other perspectives.
You can choose not to.
You have the right to your opinion.

Nothing I or anyone else says will change how you perceive things. If you are closed to it.

So there is really nothing else to say.=(
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Let's get back to the positive part of this story...
SolarAlex wrote:heres some pictures from the rescue
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
nfire
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nfire »

:lol: that dog's head sticking out of that backpack! :lol:
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

nfire wrote::lol: that dog's head sticking out of that backpack! :lol:

The best picture of the bunch! :D