The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by thetoddman »

FOR BILL MIDDLEBROOK:

Just curious if you could (or would) let us know if some of these suddenly-new 14er.com members commenting on this thread are coming from the same IP address?
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

thetoddman wrote:Something with Anthony's ever-evolving excuses/explanations and the trotting out of his neverending 'friends' that all have EXACTLY the same things to say just doesn't pass the smell test to me. Do others here get this sense?

This story will possibly go nationwide. I think they're just defending him and trying to prove that he is not the evil, nasty person that many here are calling him.

Not that I'm defending his actions. Just conspiracy theorists make me ill. The guy screwed up large, and now he's paying for it. Soon, he'll have news crews at his door. Life will not be good for him for a long time. Karma.
Last edited by DeucesWild on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
shea_nb
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shea_nb »

live4pc wrote:
shea_nb wrote:For all of you "Rationalizers", "Move On", "Let it go", lets think about something real quick. You can check any vet site or animal clinic and find out that dogs who suffer from severe dehydration will have permanent kidney and liver damage ranging from severe to not so severe. There is a very good chance that in order for this dog to live a long and healthy quality of life it will require monthly vet visits with blood work, medication and even shots. This type of care could cost upwards of $100 - $200 a month if not more. If someone didn't even want the burden of asking for help anyway he could find it, even if to just get the dog food and water till a real rescue could happen. What makes anyone think he will take on that sort of financial burden and on-going treatment knowing what has happened already. I guess for all of the "Give him a second chance." people it would be someone finding out the dog has died in a year or less due to improper medication and treatment. Something to think about.
Good point but, it is his dog. Ya, he made a mistake and has to live with it maybe this second chance will make him a better owner??
The dog is alive and well do the right thing and reunite them.

Burning someone down for a mistake may feel good he has had his share and will continue to. The ones who want to take from for this one mistake what happens when you make your next mistake??

Emotion has gotten the better of some give it time it will fade...
Would I like to see the dog reunited with its owner, heck yeah. Would I also like to see a animal protection agency work the way a child protection agency does checking in and making sure Missy is getting all the required treatment she may need, definitely. All we can do on this forum at this time is hope, pray, cross our finger or do whatever other mantra you may believe in that Missy never goes through anything like this ever again. Not burning anyone just asking what I feel to be important questions about Missy's future. I'm glad you responded to the post, yes it bore some negativity but those are real issues that need real answers. Maybe not to me but to the people who have the dog and to the legal system if it ends up going that way. I have no grand illusions of whether or not any of us here will make a mistake or not. It's how we handle those mistakes and what actions we take to negate them from happening again. So with keeping emotions out of it as you are so inclined to try and do. Lets look at the facts we have right now.

1. Dog left on Mt. Bierstadt for possibly eight days.
2. Good samaritans find dog post on 14er.
3. Rescue attempt is made dog is found and brought down safely.
4. Due to 14er.com many people are calling news stations, papers, posting on facebook.
4. Story airs on 9news and 9news website.
5. Mystery man comes forward as owner, wants dog.

With just that little bit of information even the least talented of writers would have a hard time failing to draw emotion from 5 sentences.

So yes I am emotional about this as are others. Yes, I will continue to post to do what I can to help those who are intimately involved to do what is best for the dog. Even if it means the owner relinquishing on his/her own accord the dog to a home more capable of handling real life threatening issues the dog may have. As many have said its not just about the owner, it's also not just about the dog. It's about the dog and the owner and what challenges may lie ahead and how they will be handled and with what resources they have to do so. Make no mistake just as emotional are the people reading all of this and trying to wrap their heads around it. So is the owner of the dog and anyone he may be close to. It's not just the emotions of the patrons of this board but the emotions of the owner as well that need to be checked and cleared so true thought can be given when a vet gives information that needs to be understood and fully comprehended about what care will be needed.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

JA_son27 wrote:Congrats on a successful rescue! My wife and I were saddened by this situation, then we were elated by the rescue. But the hate and vitriol toward the owner has darkened an otherwise happy occasion. It's interesting that mob mentality can actually exist on a website forum.
It never ceases to amaze me how fast this community mobilizes when things hit the fan. Everyone who risked their own safety on Missy's behalf, both the group that found her and those who went looking earlier, you're wonderful people and I'd be honored to buy any of you a beer at a future happy hour. It's unfortunate for Missy that her owner didn't know he had such a strong resource available earlier.
Yeah, it's the good, bad and ugly of the internet. Not voicing an opinion on this sh*tshow (as Terry put it). :lol:
I'm just glad Missy is safe.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
Massholeo
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Massholeo »

As part of the Saturday night group, even after trucking out there at that hour, I still feel for the guy (though I wasn't carrying 100lbs in that weather Sunday....).

He loves his dog, made some bad decisions that lead to having to make an even harder decision, one I sincerely hope to never have to make. The apparent lack of action is based on our opinions, despite it seeming obvious. We're also familiar with this site, familiar with the mtns, the general mentality of this "community" and have the social networks in place that if in the same situation we'd have the plan in action before hitting the parking lot. I'm not saying he should get a free pass (nor does my opinion truly matter), but to hang him out to dry without being there and after hearing his side of things....just seems off. I've spoken with an individual close to him and it certainly sounds like he is broken over this and it indeed is legitimate.

He's learned a valuable lesson, we all have. He, and many others, are also now aware of the network of people we all have if the need arises. Let's not turn such a positive story into a negative. Personally, I'd like to see them reunited and out together on the trail again, Missy leading the way. Maybe with some of us along as companions.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

thetoddman wrote:FOR BILL MIDDLEBROOK:

Just curious if you could (or would) let us know if some of these suddenly-new 14er.com members commenting on this thread are coming from the same IP address?
He's out working on his yard. ;)
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

A man was given a dog, which he loved very much. The dog went with him everywhere, but the man could not teach it to do anything useful. The dog would not fetch or point, it would not race or protect or stand watch. Instead the dog sat near him and regarded him, always with the same inscrutable expression. 'That's not a dog, it's a wolf,' said the man's wife. 'He alone is faithful to me,' said the man, and his wife never discussed it with him again.

One day the man took his dog with him into his private airplane and as they flew over high winter mountains, the engines failed and the airplane was torn to shreds among the trees. The man lay bleeding, his belly torn open by blades of sheared metal, steam rising from his organs in the cold air, but all he could think of was his faithful dog. Was he alive? Was he hurt? Imagine his relief when the dog came padding up and regarded him with that same steady gaze. After an hour the dog nosed the man's gaping abdomen, then began pulling out intestines and spleen and liver and gnawing them, all the while studying the man's face.

'Thank God,' said the man. 'At least one of us will not starve.'
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
meackerman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by meackerman »

Your dog rescue is amazing and deserves media attention. Please call me ASAP 303-830-6325.
Mark Ackerman, News producer at CBS4. meackerman@cbs.com
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

thetoddman wrote:FOR BILL MIDDLEBROOK:

I get that you think I am a son-of-a-b, but I am not going through exorbanent lengths to mislead anyone. I am at work. the only Duplicate IP address would be from my boss. I have admitted my faults and failures here. Please try not to look for more. I don't see how it benifits anyone or anything. I know you are mad. Do you know that I am sorry and full of guilt? I have done my best to help people realize the situation that I was in and how the following days played out. I am not making excuses to any of you, I am thanking you for your efforts time and concern, and I am appologizing for my short comings, and lack of hope.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

meackerman wrote:Your dog rescue is amazing and deserves media attention. Please call me ASAP 303-830-6325.
Already does! ;) http://www.9news.com/news/article/28295 ... -from-14er
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

meackerman wrote:Your dog rescue is amazing and deserves media attention. Please call me ASAP 303-830-6325.
DeucesWild wrote:The guy screwed up large, and now he's paying for it. Soon, he'll have news crews at his door. Life will not be good for him for a long time. Karma.
There you have it.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
hootchiesmom
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hootchiesmom »

thetoddman wrote:
hootchiesmom wrote:
hootchiesmom wrote:Hoping we can bring this back to Missy, how the vet visit went, if the owner was confirmed via the rabies tag, and most importantly how Missy is doing today! Also would love to hear more about the rescue, Missy's reaction to being found etc...
I am not a hiker, live some 1200 + miles from you, but I am a GSD lover, all I want to know is PLEASE how Missy is doing today!!! Have all of the rescuers abandoned this thread?
Do you know Anthony?
Trying again to post reply, for some reason first reply did not post...
NO I do not know him, nor do I know anyone else on this site. I have been riveted to this thread since early yesterday, praying for a rescue... found it thru the bacon loving "Clark G the Dog" facebook page. Now just want to be sure Missy is doing well today!!!