This forum is read-only
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by Floyd »

aortolani14 wrote:
nfire wrote:my first 14er after moving to colorado was bierstadt. i climbed it with my dog. there was a guy up there who told me "dont worry man, there's nothing on the traverse that a dog couldn't handle!". I sure am glad in my gaperdom that i didn't listen to that guy. glad missy was saved and huge thanks to the rescuers.
I did a web search on crossing the sawtooth with my Dog before we ever left the house. I don't know if it was this site, or some other site, but it said very close to this, "People take their dogs through there all of the time. You have to have a harness of some kind and some ropes to help them with one or two manuevers but other than that careful path selection is all that is needed." This was so wrong. I can't say how much I wish I never took her down there. All of this would never have happened. Missy did the decent on Bross' talus slope and I thought that this was going to be similar. No one should ever take a dog through that saddle unless they can easily carry them. I was so unprepared for this whole ordeal.
I just googled "dog sawtooth evans beirstadt" and this is what I found: (excluding anything from this site since you weren't aware of it to ask questions beforehand or post a help thread until after she was found) And I didn't cherry pick these results, it is what it is.

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/mt-bier ... -saw-tooth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The hike up Bierstadt itself is faily easy and we even ran into people with their dogs. However, the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or little child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble.
http://donlyman.blogspot.com/2007/07/bi ... amble.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I met up with some other hikers with a dog, at this point they had to turn back because it was just too steep for Fido. Don't bring your dog on this route:

Oddly, just about everything else was from this site. Not sure how you could have missed it?

I can't stress enough that the rescuers are some real heroes here.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

Congrats on a successful rescue! My wife and I were saddened by this situation, then we were elated by the rescue. But the hate and vitriol toward the owner has darkened an otherwise happy occasion. It's interesting that mob mentality can actually exist on a website forum.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
ATK
14ers: 8 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ATK »

JA_son27 wrote:It's interesting that mob mentality can actually exist on a website forum.
You must not get on the internets often.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

James Dziezynski wrote:You left your dog in the mountains to die. All the excuses in the world don't change that. You had dozens of outlets to do more, even as simple as making a lost dog flyer and posting it at the trailhead. I'm surprised you had to "learn" that lesson. Even a 5 year old child would make a flyer for a lost pet.

Thank goodness for the community who was strong when you were weak.

Anthony, you have guts posting here. You'll be very, very lucky to get your dog back. If you don't, you have no right to challenge that. In a life or death situation, you turned your back on your dog and even after you had taken care of yourself (in itself, a good decision) you took no further action. It is beyond many of us how you didn't think to post flyers at the trailhead. Or have a friend do it.

Moving forward, you would be well served by some of the hiking clinics at the CMC or even the free clinics on "Hiking a 14er" that pop up at REI from time to time. Leave your dog at home. Figure out what class 3 means. Ask questions on these forums.

In the end, you got very, very lucky you were on a highly traveled mountain and there were rescuers ready to step up. Nearly everyone has gotten in a bad situation on mountains, now you know there is a community at large willing to help. Next time instead of praying and feeling sorry for yourself, try actually doing something. Sure, it can be hard to ask for help but isn't your dog's life worth it?

All that being said, please stay safe in the mountains and take your time. As pissed off as I am at your lack of action, when you find your way back to the mountains you will have a new awareness and I hope for many less dramatic adventures in the mountains for you. And maybe when you are ready for responsible dog ownership, stick to the class 2 routes.
I've never read your book, advertised with each of your posts.
If it's a fraction as preachy as you've been on this thread, I won't bother.
People who like to be preached to usually go to church, not 14ers.com. Just sayin'
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
James Dziezynski
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Matt, I make no apologies for being a voice for neglected animals. None.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paula »

It never ceases to amaze me how fast this community mobilizes when things hit the fan. Everyone who risked their own safety on Missy's behalf, both the group that found her and those who went looking earlier, you're wonderful people and I'd be honored to buy any of you a beer at a future happy hour. It's unfortunate for Missy that her owner didn't know he had such a strong resource available earlier.
hootchiesmom
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hootchiesmom »

hootchiesmom wrote:Hoping we can bring this back to Missy, how the vet visit went, if the owner was confirmed via the rabies tag, and most importantly how Missy is doing today! Also would love to hear more about the rescue, Missy's reaction to being found etc...
I am not a hiker, live some 1200 + miles from you, but I am a GSD lover, all I want to know is PLEASE how Missy is doing today!!! Have all of the rescuers abandoned this thread?
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

Something with Anthony's ever-evolving excuses/explanations and the trotting out of his neverending 'friends' that all have EXACTLY the same things to say just doesn't pass the smell test to me. Do others here get this sense?
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

Paula wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how fast this community mobilizes when things hit the fan. Everyone who risked their own safety on Missy's behalf, both the group that found her and those who went looking earlier, you're wonderful people and I'd be honored to buy any of you a beer at a future happy hour. It's unfortunate for Missy that her owner didn't know he had such a strong resource available earlier.
Agreed, Concurred, and Noted 110% that there is this resource of amazing people out there. It's just so wild that the organization that actually is trained and equipped to do his has red tape, but the people of this site do not let that hinder them. I am in constant awe. I see the rescue pictures and I am just in awe.
nfire
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nfire »

MountainHiker wrote:Image
wow dude your peak list is insane. congrats on 400 summits!
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

hootchiesmom wrote:
hootchiesmom wrote:Hoping we can bring this back to Missy, how the vet visit went, if the owner was confirmed via the rabies tag, and most importantly how Missy is doing today! Also would love to hear more about the rescue, Missy's reaction to being found etc...
I am not a hiker, live some 1200 + miles from you, but I am a GSD lover, all I want to know is PLEASE how Missy is doing today!!! Have all of the rescuers abandoned this thread?
Do you know Anthony?