Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for dog friendly 14er near Denver

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Looking for dog friendly 14er near Denver

Postby williamj76 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 am

Hi!

Im new to 14ers.com, and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for a fun 14er route I could take my border collie on near Denver. I live in the roaring fork valley, and I've hiked all of the elks multiple times; however, I've never hiked anywhere but the elks so I dont know much about the mountains on the front range. Longs peak sounds interesting, but I've heard its not so doable with a dog. I'm looking for something fun--any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Looking for dog friendly 14er near Denver

Postby JeffR » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:40 am

Your best bet is to do a search. There are at least a dozen threads concerning dogs, including some very recent ones.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby LetsGoHigher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:57 am

I would definitely not do Longs. I would stick to Class 1 and 2.

The first thing to keep in mind is that many of the Denver adjacent 14ers are within wilderness area's that require your dog to be on a leash. This includes a relatively easy one, Mt. Bierstadt (my friend's 6-year-old walked up this). I've not been to Grays or Torreys, although they are not within a wilderness area (no leash required) and the route looks easy and stable, although you'll need a good high clearance vehicle to get to the TH.

If you are willing to drive a little farther, Quandary and Elbert are also good options and neither are in wilderness areas that require leashes.

Good luck and have fun!
Is that the summit?

Postby LuLuLuv » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 am

Yes, if you do a search you'll see the topic of 14ers for dogs. Bierstadt or Sherman might be a good place to start. And I might look for one with less mileage, just in case!

Postby rev_al47 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 am

Long's does not allow dogs since it's part of the Rocky Mountain National Park. That's why camping is only by reservation at a cost in RMNP.

Postby Husker John » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 pm

You can't have a dog on Longs, but have you seen the road apples!? Our group did Grays/Torreys the other week and I prolly counted 50 dogs.

Postby Tory Wells » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:53 pm

LetsGoHigher wrote:I would definitely not do Longs. I would stick to Class 1 and 2.

The first thing to keep in mind is that many of the Denver adjacent 14ers are within wilderness area's that require your dog to be on a leash. This includes a relatively easy one, Mt. Bierstadt (my friend's 6-year-old walked up this). I've not been to Grays or Torreys, although they are not within a wilderness area (no leash required) and the route looks easy and stable, although you'll need a good high clearance vehicle to get to the TH.

If you are willing to drive a little farther, Quandary and Elbert are also good options and neither are in wilderness areas that require leashes.

Good luck and have fun!

Your stated facts are misleading and/or wrong. You should research a little better before posting information that might get someone in trouble.

1. Longs Peak is in Rocky Mountain National Park, so dogs are not allowed on the trails there.
2. National forest requires dogs to be leashed, unless otherwise posted. Whether you choose to follow the leash law or not is your decision, but the law says you should. You are right that wilderness areas also require your pet to be leashed.

Other than Longs, most 14ers in the Front Range are dog friendly due to class 1 or 2 ratings, as are those in the Tenmile/Mosquito and Sawatch ranges. I wouldn't recommend Pikes because you'd probably want to go into the summit building and wouldn't be able to take your dog. Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys, Quandary, Elbert, or Sherman are all good choices. If I had to pick from those, I would go with Grays & Torreys or Bierstadt. Just know that Front Range peaks are VERY crowded on the weekend, so you may want to plan your hike during the week.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby hberry » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Essentially any class I or II is "dog friend'y" - but you may want to bring dog booties for the pooch because some of them have sharp rocks - if you look at trip reports you will be able to tell which ones.

My 3 year old lab has 25 14ers under her belt (collar?)

There are a fair amount of people here and in the world who do not like dogs or do not think that they belong on 14ers - keep your dog leashed (or under voice control if you choose to risk it) and clean up their crap and don't allow them to bark or sniff at people unless they verbalize they are dog friendly.

Postby roguejackalope » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:09 pm

lanternerouge08 wrote:I wouldn't recommend Pikes because you'd probably want to go into the summit building and wouldn't be able to take your dog.

Why would anyone want to go in the summit building? :P

But Pikes is probably a bit on the long side if you're not sure how the pooch will do.

lanternerouge08 wrote:Other than Longs, most 14ers in the Front Range are dog friendly due to class 1 or 2 ratings, as are those in the Tenmile/Mosquito and Sawatch ranges. I wouldn't recommend Pikes because you'd probably want to go into the summit building and wouldn't be able to take your dog. Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys, Quandary, Elbert, or Sherman are all good choices. If I had to pick from those, I would go with Grays & Torreys or Bierstadt.

+1

Also, keep an eye on their paws! And a search will turn up tons more info.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Tory Wells » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

roguejackalope wrote:Why would anyone want to go in the summit building? :P

For donuts, of course. =P~ 14er food of champions.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach

Postby hberry » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:20 pm

lanternerouge08 wrote:

Those doughnuts suck....

Postby Tory Wells » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:32 pm

hberry wrote:
lanternerouge08 wrote:

Those doughnuts suck....

As far as doughnuts go, you're right, they're not very good. But where else can you buy doughnuts and gatorade at 14k'? They made my run down the Barr Trail much more pleasant.

-Steve Gladbach

Next