Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dogs on Mt. Belford/Oxford?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Dogs on Mt. Belford/Oxford?

Postby Taillon75 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey gang. What are the restrictions for dogs on Belford/Oxford? How are the stream crossings up there this year?
Catchy saying from someone famous.

Re: Dogs on Mt. Belford/Oxford?

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 pm

The last updates still put the streams high since still melting out. As for the dogs standard restrictions apply (leash, ducktape muzzle if it barks the whole time)

TR with good pics of the streams
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10414&parmpeak=Missouri+Mountain&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby EM_in_CO » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 pm

My Blue Heeler had no issues hiking Mt. Belford on June 26th. The route from Missouri Gulch was clear of snow even back then.

Postby Aug_Dog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Your dog SUCKS! LEAVE IT AT HOME! IT'S A NUISANCE TO US THAT HAVE PURCHASED SWEET GEAR AND ARE SERIOUS ABOUT HIKING!

(kidding)
Go get it

Postby randalmartin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Taillon75 wrote:Hey gang. What are the restrictions for dogs on Belford/Oxford?

Belford/Oxford is in a Wilderness Area. All Wilderness Areas have the same restriction that dogs are supposed to be leashed.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 am

As of Monday, I was able to make all of the stream crossings in trailrunners, but my socks did get a little wet. None of the tough crossings were on the Belford trail, all were on the right fork that goes toward Missouri and Elkhead Pass. There were two log crossings lower down, which your dog may or may not like.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby LetsGoHigher » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:51 am

Aug_Dog wrote:Your dog SUCKS! LEAVE IT AT HOME! IT'S A NUISANCE TO US THAT HAVE PURCHASED SWEET GEAR AND ARE SERIOUS ABOUT HIKING!

(kidding)

This isn't very funny. I hike with two dogs that are well-behaved. They do not bark. In places that are appropriate, we let them off leash when no one else is around. Even though they do not approach other people generally, we leash them when we pass other people, just for good measure. I know there are people out there with ill-mannered dogs but the misconception that all dogs are rude and annoying on 14ers is not fair to those of us who have worked hard with our animals to make sure that we can enjoy them in nature without disturbing others.

I will now get off my soapbox.
Is that the summit?

Postby Doctor No » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 am

It was clearly a joke based upon the long-running "dogs" thread on this site. If you read that thread, perhaps the joke will make more sense.

Postby SkiBikeClimb99 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Actually it is hilarious

Postby marie123 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:29 pm

haha, he actually pulled in two different references there - the dog one, and the gear one

Postby SkiBikeClimb99 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Missed guns though

Postby mountain_man » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 pm

LetsGoHigher wrote:This isn't very funny. I hike with two dogs that are well-behaved. They do not bark. In places that are appropriate, we let them off leash when no one else is around. Even though they do not approach other people generally, we leash them when we pass other people, just for good measure. I know there are people out there with ill-mannered dogs but the misconception that all dogs are rude and annoying on 14ers is not fair to those of us who have worked hard with our animals to make sure that we can enjoy them in nature without disturbing others.

I will now get off my soapbox.

I was always under the impression that leashes are required to protect wild life, and not anything necessarily regarding other hiker's preferences.

The only reason I don't like seeing dogs on trails is because they make me feel so much more out of shape than I already do.

The references were great.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Next