Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary Dog Sign Status

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Quandary Dog Sign Status

Postby climbingangler04 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:19 pm

The_Godfather wrote:God I hope not. To my knowledge the owners were not contacted. Besides, if a plaque is placed there, every pet owner will want one on a mountain. Lnt.....please. in my mind, we should not put these up for pets or humans.

What's the big deal? If the owners want to put up a tribute and you don't like it, ignore it. I don't know about all other members, but a cross, plaque or perennial at some place along a trail would not ruin my outing. I am a dog-lover, though I don't take my dogs hiking, I can see a want to put some sort of a memorial and as long as it doesn't get in your way while hiking, why do you even care if someone were to put up a remembrance that has no affect on you?

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 pm

climbingangler04 wrote:I can see a want to put some sort of a memorial and as long as it doesn't get in your way while hiking, why do you even care if someone were to put up a remembrance that has no affect on you?

Here's an analogy: it's like the difference between driving I-25 through downtown at 11PM on a Wednesday night versus driving it at 3:30PM on Friday.

A handful of cars is not bad.

Fifteen thousand cars is less enjoyable.

The problem is that every one of them believes that they have a right to be there and that all the other cars are the problem.

Now reread this post and imagine it's talking about memorials (and the people who place them).

Postby Doctor No » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 pm

MountainHiker wrote:We don’t have to do anything official. If enough people started calling the east ridge, Horton Ridge, then Roach and Bill would pick up on it. Horton Ridge would take its place among the other unofficial but commonly used names, like Cristo Couloir & Ellingwood Arête. If it doesn’t catch on, then it’s not meant to be.

I like this idea - it has my full support.

Postby mike_kadow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Doctor No wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:We don’t have to do anything official. If enough people started calling the east ridge, Horton Ridge, then Roach and Bill would pick up on it. Horton Ridge would take its place among the other unofficial but commonly used names, like Cristo Couloir & Ellingwood Arête. If it doesn’t catch on, then it’s not meant to be.

I like this idea - it has my full support.

+1

Postby climbingangler04 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
climbingangler04 wrote:I can see a want to put some sort of a memorial and as long as it doesn't get in your way while hiking, why do you even care if someone were to put up a remembrance that has no affect on you?

Here's an analogy: it's like the difference between driving I-25 through downtown at 11PM on a Wednesday night versus driving it at 3:30PM on Friday.

A handful of cars is not bad.

Fifteen thousand cars is less enjoyable.

The problem is that every one of them believes that they have a right to be there and that all the other cars are the problem.

Now reread this post and imagine it's talking about memorials (and the people who place them).

I totally disagree with you. The amount of traffic on a 14er (even a crowded one like Quandry) is not applicable to comparing that of the traffic in Denver - Not EVERYONE who hikes will want to place memoriam, but a few may and as long as the plaque/note/engraved stone is not getting in your way then why would you care (you being rhetorical, not meaning any disrespect to your opinion)? I just don't get how, if placed in a respectful manner and not in the middle of a trail and attracting attention, it would bother anyone. The wilderness is there for everyone, not just you and your thoughts on "the people who place memorials". You don't own the wilderness and as long as people are respectful, I respectfully disagree with you on this point as a memorial can be soothing/helpful to someone no matter how you see it.

Postby Bean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:28 am

climbingangler04 wrote:You don't own the wilderness and as long as people are respectful, I respectfully disagree with you on this point as a memorial can be soothing/helpful to someone no matter how you see it.

Neither do you, or anyone else who wants to bolt some memorial on to the side of a mountain.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby climbingangler04 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:28 am

Bean wrote:
climbingangler04 wrote:You don't own the wilderness and as long as people are respectful, I respectfully disagree with you on this point as a memorial can be soothing/helpful to someone no matter how you see it.

Neither do you, or anyone else who wants to bolt some memorial on to the side of a mountain.

I never said I own the wilderness. I merely stated that if someone wanted to put a plaque or small memorial off the trail that you never even see it's not this big of a deal. Not everyone will put up a memorial and I guess I don't understand why people would even let it bother them, as long as it's placed in a way that's respectful to other hikers.

Postby highpilgrim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 am

climbingangler04 wrote: as long as it's placed in a way that's respectful to other hikers

And who decides what's respectful to other hikers? The newly established Plaque Patrol?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby summitridge » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 am

+1 for the Horton Ridge idea
"What an odd sport we inhabit, where bits of obscure rock in remote locations are recognizable." — Richard Pawlowicz.

Postby The_Godfather » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:34 am

I know this post may fire up people, and if you fall into that....take a breath and know its not personal.

The annalogy of cars is perfect. Yup, not everyone would put one up (thank god) but enough would. Look at everest, and how much is there. If god wanted memorials on the mountain....the would have appeared with adam and eve, or when fsm created the world it would have had mountains, trees, and plaque.

I have always had dogs. Tons of people do. And tons of dogs go with there owners. I am sure in their mind their dog is as cool if not more than horton. Should they put something too? Where does it stop?

The rename of the ridge....novel idea. Doesn't leave trash....and passifies those who want it. Every year it seems someone gets wacked by quandary....let's put up an led solar panel so it can be updated as needed ;)

Postby Bean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:37 am

The_Godfather wrote:The rename of the ridge....novel idea. Doesn't leave trash....and passifies those who want it. Every year it seems someone gets wacked by quandary....let's put up an led solar panel so it can be updated as needed ;)

I could get behind that. What about adding an RFID tag system on all the peaks that feeds back to 14ers.com so you don't have to spend all that time going in to your peak checklist and updating it? Skiers could have a tag on their skis too so it would automatically put the +ski on their list.

Really, as long as it's done in a way that's respectful to other hikers, there's nothing wrong with the idea.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby The_Godfather » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:45 am

Yes! Love it bean! We can just get some from breck and it can be added to epicmix. Add some pins and post to facebook.....oh the options are limitless!

PreviousNext