Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary Dog Sign Status

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Quandary Dog Sign Status

Postby bguindon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:46 am

Just wondering if someone is following through with the talk about a sign at the trailhead for the Quandary Dog, Horton, and where we can donate. :P

Re: Quandary Dog Sign Status

Postby The_Godfather » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 am

God I hope not. To my knowledge the owners were not contacted. Besides, if a plaque is placed there, every pet owner will want one on a mountain. Lnt.....please. in my mind, we should not put these up for pets or humans.

Postby Buckshot Jake » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:37 am

[quote="in my mind, we should not put these up for pets or humans.[/quote]

Not sure if I agree with the human part. Maybe if we listed deaths of humans others would see the circumstances and make better judgement calls. Could help save lives and raise awareness. Definitely no pets though.

Postby The_Godfather » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 am

Well if you take in just human deaths this year, we are on pace for 30. I know not all put them, but say 5 do. After 10 years, 50 new exist. I know its just numbers, but I don't want to see that.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 am

The_Godfather wrote:God I hope not. To my knowledge the owners were not contacted. Besides, if a plaque is placed there, every pet owner will want one on a mountain. Lnt.....please. in my mind, we should not put these up for pets or humans.

+1 sometimes humans think of the worst ideas ever and never plan for the multitudes of future generations that might want to enjoy a plaque free, pollution free day in the mountains that will remain unchanged for thousands of years.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:12 am

ajkagy wrote:
The_Godfather wrote:God I hope not. To my knowledge the owners were not contacted. Besides, if a plaque is placed there, every pet owner will want one on a mountain. Lnt.....please. in my mind, we should not put these up for pets or humans.

+1 sometimes humans think of the worst ideas ever and never plan for the multitudes of future generations that might want to enjoy a plaque free, pollution free day in the mountains that will remain unchanged for thousands of years.

The encouraging thing for people who use LNT as a catch-phrase is that overall, most people do. The purest practitioners of LNT are the vast majority of people who never go out onto these trails at all. They have left no trace at all on Quandary.

Postby bguindon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:42 pm

I should've known what was coming on the emails. There are exceptions to every rule, and horton appears to be an exception if you know his story. Just a thought was all.

Postby Bean » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:21 pm

SuperiorTrailHiker wrote:The encouraging thing for people who use LNT as a catch-phrase is that overall, most people do. The purest practitioners of LNT are the vast majority of people who never go out onto these trails at all. They have left no trace at all on Quandary.

Or anyone who has only gone while it's snow-covered.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby SpringsHiker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Buckshot Jake wrote:Not sure if I agree with the human part. Maybe if we listed deaths of humans others would see the circumstances and make better judgement calls. Could help save lives and raise awareness. Definitely no pets though.

There are 4 plaques honoring people on 14ers, that I know of. The ones on Princeton and Pikes Peak pay respects to people who died there and the circumstances, plus the little stone hut on Longs. The one on Challenger obviously has nothing to do with deaths on the mountain but is another form of tribute.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby doggler » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:47 pm

SpringsHiker wrote:
Buckshot Jake wrote:Not sure if I agree with the human part. Maybe if we listed deaths of humans others would see the circumstances and make better judgement calls. Could help save lives and raise awareness. Definitely no pets though.

There are 4 plaques honoring people on 14ers, that I know of. The ones on Princeton and Pikes Peak pay respects to people who died there and the circumstances, plus the little stone hut on Longs. The one on Challenger obviously has nothing to do with deaths on the mountain but is another form of tribute.

On top of Wilson Peak

Postby Bean » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:54 pm

doggler wrote:On top of Wilson Peak

Anyone want to haul a cordless angle grinder up there?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:04 pm

A couple other memorials on approaches:

The west trailhead for Massive has a cross for the helicopter crew that died on the mountain.
Lake Como road at Jaws 1 for some 4 wheelers.

We don’t have to do anything official. If enough people started calling the east ridge, Horton Ridge, then Roach and Bill would pick up on it. Horton Ridge would take its place among the other unofficial but commonly used names, like Cristo Couloir & Ellingwood Arête. If it doesn’t catch on, then it’s not meant to be.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Next