Dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
montana1000
Trip Reports (0)

Dogs

Post by montana1000 »

For those of you that take your dogs hiking with you what if anything do you all do for em afterwards. Like I usually take a couple aspirins. I know dogs motor around at least mine does and I make sure to give her tons of water but I can't really give her a beer to relax after, so does anyone give there dogs an aspirin or something else? Do dogs get a headache?
LuLuLuv
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dogs

Post by LuLuLuv »

I have a Good Times restaurant close. I will stop and get her a pawbender's treat. Made specifically for dogs, it's lowfat custard and doggie bones. She LOVES it!
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Giving a dog a treat after taking them hiking is like giving a man a massage after ... dinner?
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Mine seem to like a 5 piece nuggets from Wendy's $0.99 menu while I put down my Triple Baconator.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

We always end the trek by going to the car for cookies and peanut butter... then home for a "tick-check" which turns into the best dog-rub ever!

"....goin' for a hike on the trail, trail, trail..."
Attachments
Willow 7-6    trail to wheeler - real sm.jpg
Willow 7-6 trail to wheeler - real sm.jpg (172.92 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
rocky
south fork, colorado
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

I give my dog, Sawyer, Subway after most of our climbs...or a vanilla Dairy Queen ice cream cone.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
LupinMorningwake
14ers: 18 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LupinMorningwake »

After any kind of big hike mine get to split some icecream with Zukes treats mixed in.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

I spoil my dog with a big piece of chicken or steak. I like some of your ideas though. Has anyones dog gotten up Crestone Needle? Mine has done class three before including South Maroon Peak but I was wondering how she would do on the needle. Class 3 is as far as I will take her.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
morganataltitude
14ers: 49 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by morganataltitude »

In my opinion, Crestone Needle is easier than S. Maroon. It might be a tad steeper but the rock is wonderful. If your dog can do Maroon, then your dog can probably do the Needle.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

My GSP always gets a packet of Tuna at the top, or when we stop for lunch.
And lots of treats afterward, and an occasional lap or two of beer.

JQ
EM_in_CO
14ers: 51 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EM_in_CO »

My Aussie Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) gets Old Mother Hubbard treats and water during and immediately following the hike. A Yoghund treat later on. This is all in addition to his daily meals.