Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Dogs

Postby montana1000 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:11 pm

For those of you that take your dogs hiking with you what if anything do you all do for em afterwards. Like I usually take a couple aspirins. I know dogs motor around at least mine does and I make sure to give her tons of water but I can't really give her a beer to relax after, so does anyone give there dogs an aspirin or something else? Do dogs get a headache?

Re: Dogs

Postby LuLuLuv » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I have a Good Times restaurant close. I will stop and get her a pawbender's treat. Made specifically for dogs, it's lowfat custard and doggie bones. She LOVES it!

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Giving a dog a treat after taking them hiking is like giving a man a massage after ... dinner?
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Mine seem to like a 5 piece nuggets from Wendy's $0.99 menu while I put down my Triple Baconator.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby rocky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 pm

We always end the trek by going to the car for cookies and peanut butter... then home for a "tick-check" which turns into the best dog-rub ever!

"....goin' for a hike on the trail, trail, trail..."
Attachments
Willow 7-6    trail to wheeler - real sm.jpg
Willow 7-6 trail to wheeler - real sm.jpg (172.92 KiB) Viewed 976 times
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby Inky6900 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:26 am

I give my dog, Sawyer, Subway after most of our climbs...or a vanilla Dairy Queen ice cream cone.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Postby Bean » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 am

I don't always take my dog ski mountaineering, but when I do, and I stop at goodtimes on the way home, I pick a pawbender for her.

Postby LupinMorningwake » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:26 am

After any kind of big hike mine get to split some icecream with Zukes treats mixed in.

Postby kushrocks » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:02 am

I spoil my dog with a big piece of chicken or steak. I like some of your ideas though. Has anyones dog gotten up Crestone Needle? Mine has done class three before including South Maroon Peak but I was wondering how she would do on the needle. Class 3 is as far as I will take her.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby morganataltitude » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 am

In my opinion, Crestone Needle is easier than S. Maroon. It might be a tad steeper but the rock is wonderful. If your dog can do Maroon, then your dog can probably do the Needle.

Postby JQDivide » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 pm

My GSP always gets a packet of Tuna at the top, or when we stop for lunch.
And lots of treats afterward, and an occasional lap or two of beer.

JQ

Postby EM_in_CO » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 pm

My Aussie Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) gets Old Mother Hubbard treats and water during and immediately following the hike. A Yoghund treat later on. This is all in addition to his daily meals.

Next