Dogs and 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Dogs and 14ers

Post by Bean »

lodidodi wrote:Train your dog, keep him on a leash, pick up all his $hit, don't take him over anything class 2, put paw pads on him, feed him only organic food, make him only drink filtered bottled water brought from home, give him breaks every 15 minutes, bring him a jacket and a life preserve, keep him clean, brush his teeth, hug him often, buy him a $600 down bag sleeping bag to sleep in, when he's in your car make sure he has a special dog harness for his seatbelt. I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.
Doggles.

(I've actually seriously considered it for my pooch, it's friggin' bright up there!)
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

I've climbed with my dog almost 10 years now and have done nearly all the 14ers with him. There are others on this site that climb with their dogs and hopefully they respond and offer you advice as well. My dog, Sawyer, has climbed everything I have and I have not heard of another living dog that has climbed as many 14ers as him. Only one dog in history climbed all the 14ers and it was Roger Edrinn's dog, Diente, which did so back in the 1980s. Here are a few tips.

Safety for Your Dog:
1. Harness (Ruff Rider I prefer as they are super strong and double as seat belt restraints)
2. Booties/Shoes (carry one set of spares - Ruff Wear)
3. Food/Water (carry a collapsible bowl in your pocket to get water from your hydration bladder - it will be easy to access all day long)
4. Dog First Aid Kit w/Animal Emergencies Booklet
5. Doggles (good in snow and/or sand)

Things to Think About Before the Climb:
1. How old is your dog?
2. What type of breed is it?
3. Have you climbed with your dog before?
4. Are you and your dog in shape for 8 or more hours of climbing?
5. Have you done enough warm-up hikes with your dog leading up to the climb?
6. Are you prepared for emergencies?
7. Is your dog aggressive towards others and wildlife?
8. Do you have enough supplies - food, water, etc. for the entire day and then some for both you and your dog?
9. Does your dog have any health issues?

Considering Nature:
1. Don't let your dog chase wildlife
2. When possible clean up after your dog
3. Keep your dog on trails and close to you
4. Follow regulations regarding leashing laws as closely as you can

Considering Other Climbers:
1. Consider climbing on weekdays to avoid those who disagree with the idea of dogs climbing
2. Have your dog leashed or close by (based on regulations)

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Josh (& Sawyer)
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I've seen them at Petsmart (I think, might've been Petco...), so the best bet would be to test them in-store. Otherwise I think you can measure your dog's head. I don't think I would have much luck trying that approach. :lol:
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

ezsuperkev wrote:
How do you size the doggles?
I bought them for Soy many years ago but I think the company still operates on a sizing chart. I think you factor in the overall size and weight of your dog and also the measurements around the head and chin. Then they have a size suggestion chart.

The problem with Doggles is unless your dog absolutely needs them (to the point where the dog knows it) they will get rubbed off and scratched almost immediately. Last year I put them on Sawyer when we climbed High Dune at the Sand Dunes. He never once tried to take them off as he probably instantly noticed their benefits from sand in his eyes and light reflecting as well. Other days he wants nothing to do with them.

Josh
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

ezsuperkev wrote:Anyone know where you can buy the Ruffwear Grip Trex boots individually rather than in sets of 4 ?

My dogs back paws are smaller than the front so I need 2 different sizes.
Buy 2 sets, one of each size then you have a backup set. \:D/
piper14er
14ers: 58 
13ers: 562
Trip Reports (100)

Post by piper14er »

Kondos Outdoors - booties, etc.

http://www.kondosoutdoors.com/mm5/merchant.mvc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man I thought sgladbach was dreaming about SusanJoyPaul and SarahT again until I looked at the start date on this thread.
piper14er
14ers: 58 
13ers: 562
Trip Reports (100)

Post by piper14er »

How silly of me, I thought they could ship them.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

matting wrote:Has anyone taken or seen anyone taking a cat on 14er?
a couple of cougars is all, but they were drinking wine and as long as you and the guys didn't linger too long at the trailhead they didn't have time to bother you.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
hatidua
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hatidua »

Just know that there is no poop-fairy that magically removes all those little plastic bags of doggy doo-doo from the side of the trail each night - TAKE IT WITH YOU!

I have two dogs and tend to like dogs more than humans. That said, the rocks on many of these peaks are very sharp. As with others, I've seen dogs with cut up feet on more occasions than I wish to recall. Just because a dogs owner wants to climb a mountain, doesn't mean that Fido does.....but Fido will faithfully go along, no matter how badly it cuts up his feet :(
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

ezsuperkev wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:a couple of cougars is all, but they were drinking wine and as long as you and the guys didn't linger too long at the trailhead they didn't have time to bother you.
Do you have pictures ? I thought the colder temperatures drove the wine drinking cougar to lower warmer elevations.
Most of them do tend to linger nearer to civilization, waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting hiker when they are at their weakest and most vulnerable (craving beer and food and a place to sit and not move for a couple of hours.) However, there is a hearty band of cougars to be found at the highest of altitudes, including places like Pikes Peak and Mount Evans.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

matting wrote:Many years ago I had a black lab. I took that dog everywhere... Colorado, new england(sorry I put the dog though that... live in new england that is :wink: ), Alaska, Washington state, etc. Happy looking all the time - ready to go all the time and so on. Come to realise my black lab was all about self - one dimensional but loved that dog anyways... people use words like unconditional,faithful, etc. to describe a dog's enthusiasm/love but the fact is, dogs do not know any better but to live/exist in the moment thats all nothing more... nothing less.
There's nothing wrong with New England.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

CorduroyCalves wrote:There's nothing wrong with New England.
... said the man who moved from New England to live in Colorado.

The appropriate ending of the statement above is "... as long as it stays where it is."

:lol:
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus