Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bagged Dog Pooh

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Bagged Dog Pooh

Postby Steffanie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Just like I wouldn't leave my dog's poo in someone's yard, or in a public park, I don't leave it on or near a trail. I have two dogs(German Shepherds) and typically carry about 15 bags in my backpack, so I have plenty and always double-bag it and carry it in my pack the entire hike. If I left it to get it later I know I'd forget it, so it gets tossed in my pack immediately. Not pleasant smelling(though I don't smell it when I'm moving, motivation? others probably think I stink though), and a lot of times it has to ride with me on the drive home, in the trunk of course, but I feel it's my responsibility to clean up after my dogs and not litter the trails and mountain areas. Sometimes I even feel guilty about the pee and cover up yellow snow.
I just feel it's my responsibility to clean up after my dogs regardless of where it is, both for the sake of leave no trace and to not bother others. I don't want to see anyone else's dog's poo, why would others wanna see my dogs'?

Postby dubsho3000 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:09 am

Poop has a place in the wild. Dirt is poop right? I realize it can be unsightly on or very near the trail, but if u have a problem with poop, the rest of wild areas are really gonna freak you out. Occassionally i run across dead animals! Ewwww!

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Pivvay wrote:That's why they have dog packs...so they can carry their own poop!

That's how I feel on the matter.

Personally, I don't like to leave dog poop on heavily used trails (which, these days, is becoming more and more of the trails). While I realize that fecal matter is a natural part of nature, we humans tend to significantly concentrate our activities --and thereby the activities of our dogs-- to certain trails. As an example, I think the Grays Peak trail would be a mess if every dog owner left their dog's crap laying around up there.

I also don't agree with the philosophy of leaving your poop bagged for everyone else to see while you hike. Most of the time my dog wears a pack, and she gets to carry her own poop out. If she isn't wearing her pack, then I'll usually conceal her poop bag behind some sort of prominent feature I'll remember on the trail, then I'll pick it up on the way down (that way the 100 other hikers on the trail that day don't need to see my trail trash, and I can still remove it from the trail).

Backpacking to remote areas might be another story, but for day hiking on popular trails I feel like packing poop out is probably the most environmental thing to do.

Postby Redleg Bruce » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:34 pm

I'd like to weigh in on this from the viewpoint of an ecologist. I hat to say it, but it seems like less than 5% of people here truly adhere to leave no trace principles. If you did, you wouldn't bring dogs with you on 14ers, or any hike for that matter. Dogs don't belong there, and the ecosystem struggles to recover from both dogs and human simply walking by, let alone even peeing. Urine can't be collected and taken with you. Ever notice dead spots on your grass where you large dog pees? Dog's didn't evolve in tundra and the ecosystem has no way to deal with either animal or human waste. My opinon? Don't bring dogs, poop on bags and pee in bottles.

Just my 2 cents.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Redleg Bruce wrote:I'd like to weigh in on this from the viewpoint of an ecologist. I hat to say it, but it seems like less than 5% of people here truly adhere to leave no trace principles. If you did, you wouldn't bring dogs with you on 14ers, or any hike for that matter. Dogs don't belong there, and the ecosystem struggles to recover from both dogs and human simply walking by, let alone even peeing. Urine can't be collected and taken with you. Ever notice dead spots on your grass where you large dog pees? Dog's didn't evolve in tundra and the ecosystem has no way to deal with either animal or human waste. My opinon? Don't bring dogs, poop on bags and pee in bottles.

Just my 2 cents.

With all due respect, I fundamentally disagree with this point of view. First, humans cause impact just as dogs do. If you are going to eliminate dogs, you may as well eliminate people (we pee in the mountains too).

On the other hand, I think that too many environmentalists live by the philosophy that people and dogs are outside of the environment. Personally, I believe that we are also a part of the ecosystem in which we live, and I don't believe that we need to restrict ourselves from the wilderness, even if our primary objective in those areas is simply recreation. Furthermore, even if dogs aren't "wild" anymore, wolves and coyotes are certainly more similar to dogs than any other species is similar to us.

I'm not about to hang up my hiking boots for fear of damaging some tundra grasses, and I doubt anyone else on this site is planning to do so either. Clearly the best way to avoid leaving a human "trace" is simply to remove the humans. I just don't feel that such measures are at all necessary.

Postby Doctor No » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:04 pm

coloradokevin wrote:With all due respect, I fundamentally disagree with this point of view. First, humans cause impact just as dogs do. If you are going to eliminate dogs, you may as well eliminate people (we pee in the mountains too).

He was also suggesting that we should pee in bottles while in the mountains.

Not that I subscribe to that theory myself. Although it would make for a instant conversation-starter as hikers pass on the trail. :lol:

Postby Redleg Bruce » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Humans have the ability and responsibility to make as little impact on our environments as possible. Our repeated use has worn trails. As long as we stay on these trails we don't increase the damage already done, and I am not suggesting by any stretch that humans should stay out of the alpine or tundra, merely that we should leave our impact on it as little as possible. While all humans don't stay on trails, most have enough respect to do so. Dogs, on the other hand, especially dogs off leash, wander off the trail on a regular basis.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby wildlobo71 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:38 pm

g wrote:
Dirt is poop right?

No, dirt is like rocks and stuff, and it's got what plants crave. I never seen plants grow out of poop in the toilet.

Okay, g... I must ask. Why, then, do we put peat moss (worm and bug poop, as well as plant material), cow manure, and other forms of animal waste on our lawns and plants to make them grow better? Even human waste, "night soil" is used on rice paddies in Asia.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby cougar » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 pm

I aint never seen animals use toilets. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Toxh_5aHig

Postby glacierPaul » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 am

Ahh, dog poop. Even when you provide the bags and the trash can, some people still are oblivious to their dogs actions. I still pick up 5+ piles of dog poop in the parking lot weekly, not to mention the bagged poop by the trailhead sign. And better yet, some people think dog poop is recycleable, as more bagged poop goes in the recycle can, than the marked trash can :-k

+1 on the dog pack, allowing the dog to carry it's own stuff. -1 on hanging the bag of dog poop directly from their choker or collar, right under their neck. Saw a family come down with their dog like this, the bag had torn, and poop was smeared on the dogs neck #-o .

Postby centrifuge » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:43 am

glacierPaul wrote:Ahh, dog poop. Even when you provide the bags and the trash can, some people still are oblivious to their dogs actions. I still pick up 5+ piles of dog poop in the parking lot weekly, not to mention the bagged poop by the trailhead sign. And better yet, some people think dog poop is recycleable, as more bagged poop goes in the recycle can, than the marked trash can :-k

+1 on the dog pack, allowing the dog to carry it's own stuff. -1 on hanging the bag of dog poop directly from their choker or collar, right under their neck. Saw a family come down with their dog like this, the bag had torn, and poop was smeared on the dogs neck #-o .

In the lot huh? Thats just laziness. My dog wears a pack and carries her own stuff, but I bring an extra ziplock back to help keep the odor contained in her pack. Keeping it on the dogs collar seems a little mean to me. I think dogs have a pretty solid sense of smell... that would have to be pretty miserable.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby glacierPaul » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 am

centrifuge wrote:In the lot huh? Thats just laziness. My dog wears a pack and carries her own stuff, but I bring an extra ziplock back to help keep the odor contained in her pack. Keeping it on the dogs collar seems a little mean to me. I think dogs have a pretty solid sense of smell... that would have to be pretty miserable.

I try to keep it in check, sorry to those who have had to deal with the poop. The folks I mentioned were actually mad at the dog, it was hard to not let them have it as they did have children too. Thankfully for them I had baby wipes with me.

PreviousNext