Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bagged Dog Pooh

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Bagged Dog Pooh

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Magnum420 wrote:Please bag and carry out your dog's poo... Especially in winter. Most visiters to the mounains dont realize that starting is Oct, all the poo from all the dogs just sits frozen in the snow. Then in May, it all melts out at the same time. Fall is mud season. Spring is poo season.

In summer I dont really mind as long as it is way off the trail or buried.

Unless you live in an area that doesn't use surface water for drinking water, then it doesn't matter and your dog is just pooing in Denver or Texas or Cali water. And it probably doesn't matter anyway, as there is a lot of crap out there already. That's why drinking water is treated.
But seriously, flushing dog poo is fine if you can't bury it. Your wastewater treatment plant can handle it.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby jlarocco » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:37 pm

bednorz41@hotmail.com wrote:A dog's waste in the forest or a bag left behind?

Is that a serious question? You're wondering if it's a good idea to leave plastic bags filled with dog poo all over the place? Would it be a good idea to leave plastic bags not filled with dog poo?

Postby cougar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Don't dogs eat their own poop? Maybe other canines like foxes, coyotes, etc. do the same.

Snowshoe hares eat their own poop routinely (part of their digestive process that they have to eat it several times, like cows chewing cud). So do some dogs, along with other poop like horse (which is much more prevalent).

today in the office there was an unbagged turd in the stairwell - probably goose

Postby perryw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:00 pm

"Always keep a litter bag in your car. When it gets filled up you can just toss it out the window". -- Steve Martin
Did you know that the word gullible is NOT in the dictionary?

Postby Leigh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 am

[/quote]
I would take a bag only to remove poo that my dog leaves either on the trail or in a place where people sit or mill around. Then, I'd carry the bag out, take it home, remove the poo, and recycle the damn bag.

Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate...[/quote]

Seriously? Recycle a bag with dog poop on it? No thanks!

I agree that most people probably drop the bag and intend to pick it up on their way back, but that's an easy thing to forget - now I clip a caribiner to the leash and put any poop bags on it so I don't have to carry them or put them in my pack. If off trail, I don't always pick up, depends on the area, really. Usually I only have to worry about the first one of the day which usually happens pretty close to the car.

Postby madbuck » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Leigh wrote:
I agree that most people probably drop the bag and intend to pick it up on their way back, but that's an easy thing to forget - now I clip a caribiner to the leash...

Never understood the justification for "temporary littering," which means a hike on a Sunday on a popular trail involves going past a dozen or so poop bag markers on the side of the trail for everyone -- in addition to the ones that are "Left Behind" (unraptured) from previous days.

...which is why, good for you for bringing the 'biner on a leash! =D>

Postby hikermike » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 pm

We'll pick up the dog poop in a bag then double back the poop in a ziploc... We'll carry it with us to (it is disgusting) since I probably wouldn't remember where on the trail I left it for the hike back. The worst part is on the way home especially in the summer. A lot of trailheads have gotten rid of any garbage cans so we have to keep it in the car until we can find a place to toss the baggies. In the summer the car can stink! Tempting to 'leave it on the side of the trail' though

Postby sevenvii » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 pm

I say clean it up if near a trail or stop spot, otherwise let her stay and help the fungi grow!

Postby Kruck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 am

Leigh wrote:I agree that most people probably drop the bag and intend to pick it up on their way back, but that's an easy thing to forget.

I disagree. I think a lot of folks bring the baggies so that if their dog makes a deposit, they can do the bag thing if someone's looking. Then they drop the bag when someone isn't looking. If someone questions them, they can say, "I'm going to pick it up on the way back." Often, this gets "forgotten."

Not everyone does this, of course. But many do.

A former Brainard Lake ski nut, I've seen spring thaws that reveal literally hundreds of engorged poop bags around the parking lot and THs. Lots of "forgetful" people up there. And this last week I had to dodge a poop bag that was in the track of a groomed nordic course, on a one-way blue 10K loop. Guessing the person didn't come back for it. And guessing they skied skate-style [-X .
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Postby Snowgirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 am

Personally, I feel that as a dog owner taking a non-native animal (with very non-native microbes) into the backcountry, I follow leave-no-trace and either bury it the appropriate way or pack it out. I double-bag it and have never had problems with the smell. It also helps to have my dog trained to "do her business" on command, that way I can find an appropriate spot of make sure she's "empty" before leaving home, which works most of the time. The 14ers are climbed by thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people each year (and a decent number of dogs) and if we all followed the logic that "nature should take it" then that would leave some very unsanitary conditions along the trail. I want to be able to enjoy the trails with my dog, and this includes the responsibility I have to myself and others to clean up my dog's mess.

And on the subject of leaving it to "decay", many of the microbes our dogs harbor can cause disease in wildlife, not to mention in humans especially if it gets into water sources. If your dog has ever been diagnosed with giardia, they are shedding the parasite for life in their stool and can infect others if not properly disposed of. And above treeline in Colorado, that waste will be there for a while.

Accroding to a study done by the City of Boulder Open Space (CBOS):

"The observational study conducted on CBOS lands indicated that most visitors to open space areas follow the LNT guidelines. Approximately 87 percent of the visitors observed traveled on trail, collected their dogs' waste, refrained from littering, and followed other LNT guidelines as advocated by the literature. Of the 13 percent who did not follow the LNT guidelines, 80 percent failed to follow one of the procedures pertaining to dogs (waste or control).

In other words, dog-related issues represent 80 percent of LNT guideline non-compliance. Although this observational study was less formal than the questionnaire, it did provide a rough snapshot of actual behavior trends. The information obtained echoes conversations with other land mangers. Dog-related impact is one of the most pressing issues for wildland managers near urban areas."

Please pack it out!
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby tress » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm

just wanted to make it three pages about doog poop, did I? damn.

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Snowgirl wrote: The 14ers are climbed by thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people each year (and a decent number of dogs) and if we all followed the logic that "nature should take it" then that would leave some very unsanitary conditions along the trail.

Not true! My dog eats more than 10 times the amount of sh!t he deposits. It's like a sh!t-buffett on the descent from most peaks.

He eats sh!t above treeline, and below. He eats it in the sun, and in the snow.
He eats sh!t when it's clear, and in the rain. When we hike, sh!t's on his brain.
He eats sh!t from sheep, goats and deer. He eats all the sh!t, both far and near.
He'll eat your sh!t right from your butt. He is, in fact, a sh!t-eating nut.
So leave your dog's sh!t on the ground, and help me feed my hungry hound!

Happy Friday! :lol:

PreviousNext