Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Postby Iguru » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 pm

dumbsocrates wrote:

Thanks from this happy mountain-climbing dog!

That is one awesome looking dog. If he approached me with tail waggin, it would be irresistable to make friends with him :D
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:38 pm

CorduroyCalves wrote:
J-RockandRockpile wrote:
CorduroyCalves wrote:

I don't know for certain, but I believe kids can be taught the principles of LNT much easier than a dog can. As far as kids sh*tting on themselves, it sounds like covfrrider is speaking from personal experience--maybe he just doesn't know how to wipe.

I don't allow my kids to chase wildlife, nor do I let them pet dogs without asking permission to do so, which is what responsible parents do.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw another dog in the backcountry, but I don't have a problem with them as long as their owners are responsible.

Responsible parents? If there is one thing I love its going out to dinner and having some stupid kid climbing around the booth like its a damn jungle-gym, without their "responsible parents" ever telling the kid to sit still and shut up! "Oh we just kinda let our kid do what he wants, he ll become a better person from it"

Meanwhile - If i tell my buddies dog to sit still and shut up they usually tend to obey... and I like that

Then they're not responsible parents. . .

Just saying in response to Linda "you can spend a few hours without your pets", parents can get a babysitter and leave their little trophy's at home for an evening
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby lodidodi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:39 pm

lindasmith wrote:Dogs in the backcountry, and on 14ers, are a nuisance. They chase the wildlife, make too much noise, sh*t all over, and insist on pushing their nose into my groin or licking my kids with their slobber. Please, please keep your dogs at home! You really can be alone, for a few hours, without your stupid pets!

Linda

javy20040 wrote:start taking about what Linda said, why you don't start fallowing the DOG LAW RESTRICTION and people like Linda and I wont be spending time talking with you.

I missed where she said this

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:39 pm

javy20040 wrote:Well guys,

What I really care is that a lot of people brings their dogs to the mountains and they don't fallow the law. ............... I am right because the LAW says that.

Jay, Please have some respect for the law already, as you state, we all need to be "fallow" in our view of the law. I think therefore you need to restate your case, but this time be much more forceful, strict, serious, and to the point! Your first try was much too weak.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Floyd » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:39 pm

javy20040 wrote:By Javier Morganti

Holy crap!!! I hiked Belford and Oxford with a Javier Morganti a few years back. (We tried for Missouri too, but decided against it) If you are one in the same, hello again, and I don't remember you having any issues with my off leash dog on the trail that day.

Anyways, a dog off leash is punishable by a small fine - kind of like speeding. I'm willing to bet most on this site have been nabbed in the past and continue to speed. I should start posting every summer about how those maniacs on the road endanger other drivers, yadda yadda yadda. But then again, wreckless drivers are no where near as much as a problem as dogs on a trail. (And I drive wrecklessly and hike with my off leash dog, but that's beside the point)

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:40 pm

javy20040 wrote:Well guys,

Maybe Linda is new in this site, I am not. I don't really care what you do with your pets or if you have a dog and you bring him with you to the mountains. What I really care is that a lot of people brings their dogs to the mountains and they don't fallow the law. There is a law restriction for dogs being in the wild, every body knows it and no body cares. So before start taking about what Linda said, why you don't start fallowing the DOG LAW RESTRICTION and people like Linda and I wont be spending time talking with you.

The LAW says: To allow any dog or other pet on Parks and Outdoor Recreation Lands, unless the same shall be under control and on a leash not exceeding six (6) feet in length. This requirement for dogs or other pets to be on a six foot leash shall not apply when the animal is confined in a vehicle or vessel. Further, it shall be unlawful to allow a dog or other pet within any area used as a swimming or water-ski beach. Any person having a dog or other pet creating a nuisance or disturbance or who fails to properly control a dog or other pet may be evicted from the park or recreation area.

By the way, I don't see you guys a lot in winter in this forum. This is a hiking & climbing site, I guess. But I can see that in summer this site become a nice place for all of you to spend some time attacking others climbers when they are right. Please, don't reply me back with anger, I am right because the LAW says that. So, keep your anger with you or find the way to seat in it, be careful could be hot.

If you pretend that you don't know the Colorado State Parks and Trails Restrictions, you can inform your self about what you can and what you can't do with your dog:

http://dnrgoogle.state.co.us/search?q=dogs%20leash%20law&site=my_collection&client=my_collection&proxystylesheet=http://parks.state.co.us/Styles/parks.xslt&output=xml_no_dtd&restrict=Parks

By Javier Morganti

The regulations you mentioned only apply to land managed under the division of "Colorado Parks and Outdoor Recreation Lands," which doesn't include most 14ers which are either on private land or National Forest land.

The US Forest Service Service (manages national forest land) regulations can vary by district, but are usually the same for wilderness areas.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby fletchersteel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Hate to jump in, but isn't this from the Colorado State Parks site? So, I would think that this applies to CO state parks. But, it does not cover our vast acres of US National Forest Land, and Department of Interior National Parks and Wilderness areas.
Edit...You guys type way too fast for me. Didn't see Bill's post.
Last edited by fletchersteel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Postby sm5280 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:44 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:The regulations you mentioned only apply to land managed under the "Colorado State Park and Recreation Lands," which doesn't include most 14ers which are either on private land or National Forest land.

The US Forest Service Service regulations can vary by district, but are usually the same for wilderness areas.

Well said Bill.

On top of that, the summit of Mt. Bross is technically private property, and you are trespassing. Javier, I see Bross on your list. Don't you know the LAW? Trespassing is illegal.

You can be self-righteous, but perhaps you should know what you're talking about before you go trolling again.

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Nice to meet you, Mr. Morganti. You must be the same obnoxious hiker who kept harassing responsible dog owners to tears the other day on Bierstadt. And besides, I am a utilitarian: law is relative! We all determined it would be best for all parties concerned--bring the most happiness to the largest number of members of the community--to gang up and push you off the cliff because, after all, what happens on a mountain, stays on the mountain... Listen to Mr. Bentham! Pity prevailed that time. But try not to be so vexed, and let some of that bile ooze out.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 pm

javy20040 wrote:fallowing

What's this have to do with plowing? I thought we were talking about some hot dog-crotch action... mmm... Jiffy smooth peanut butter.

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Sweet! Now we can make up laws and be right because we say so!
This country just keeps getting better!
Did you know there is a law that you have to keep children under 10 on a leash?
And humans and dogs can legally marry!
And there is about to be a law that doctors get to kill old people if there health care bill is getting too high!
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:56 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:Sweet! Now we can make up laws and be right because we say so!
This country just keeps getting better!
Did you know there is a law that you have to keep children under 10 on a leash?
And humans and dogs can legally marry!
And there is about to be a law that doctors get to kill old people if there health care bill is getting too high!

Anything in there about sheep?

PreviousNext