Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Postby mountainmicah83 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:11 am

Daniel Trugman wrote:Linda is being a kind soul. She doesn't give a damn about dogs; she is generously providing us with entertainment on a slow Friday. Thanks Linda!

I know I am having fun.

"My dog doesn't chase wildlife, doesn't bark, I clean up after him, and keep him away from people unless they approach him. Oh, and he is most likely a much more accomplished climber than you and he's only 1.5 years old. Way to introduce yourself to the community. Happy trails!"

Sounds like our dogs should meet. Same age. Same love for climbing. I know my dog lives for the trail!I can hike past 200+ people coming up quandary after watching a sunrise without him being right behind my heels! I would say he deserves to be there!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:13 am

I wonder if Linda is really Mike Vick? :P
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Chicalorado » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:16 am

mountainmicah83 wrote:Sounds like our dogs should meet. Same age. Same love for climbing. I know my dog lives for the trail!I can hike past 200+ people coming up quandary after watching a sunrise without him being right behind my heels! I would say he deserves to be there!

Sounds cool! I'm thinking of heading up La Plata tomorrow. So if anyone doesn't want to possibly see a super friendly, tail wagging dog, perhaps you should try Longs.
"There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone."
~Grateful Dead

"Please me have no regrets..."

Postby sm5280 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 am

Sounds like this Linda might be related to Gabriel.

EDIT: You made the same comment in the Dog Rescue thread. You thought your comment was so clever you had to make an entire thread out of it? :lol:
Last edited by sm5280 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mt_turtle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 am

That seems to be a very broad brush stroke! We saw this dog on Mt. of the Holy Cross. No nose nudging above the knees, no slobbering and I bet if you opened her pack, you would find she was carrying her own waste. Heck, she was probably packing out the marmot’s waste too. This dog appeared to have more dignity than a lot of hikers. What if we all got well trained Super Chihuahuas? "¡Yo Quiero Taco Bell!

dog.jpg
dog.jpg (171.36 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Psalms 65:5-6 By awesome deeds You answer us in righteousness, O God of our salvation, You who are the trust of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest sea; Who establishes the mountains by His strength, Being girded with might;

Postby eshivey » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:19 am

I say no trolls on 14ers either
What's with these homies dissin' my girl?
Why do they gotta front?
What did we ever do to these guys
That made them so violent?

-Rivers Cuomo-

Postby Rockchalk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 am

Chris Gerber wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:I don't understand the op. You have some sort of problem with groin licking?

Maybe I need to get a dog and a jar of peanut butter....

From what I hear (not personal experience, mind you), its best to stay away from the chunky PB. :shock:
"Here's to the view from very high places." - T. Magerkurth

Postby catbus-x » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 am

Postby BIO_KNEE » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 am

This is starting to look like a craigs list post.
"It is whom the meal is shared with, not what is eaten that makes it special." - Epicurus

Postby randalmartin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:28 am

Chris Gerber wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:I don't understand the op. You have some sort of problem with groin licking?

Maybe I need to get a dog and a jar of peanut butter....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby StevieTwoShoes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 am

As I said in the thread linked on the first page, I don't like dogs. I don't like pets. I don't like the way many pet owners assume everybody loves pets as much as they do. And I really don't care how friendly or smart or talented your dog is, I don't want it anywhere near me, but in terms of the backcountry, I agree with this:
CorduroyCalves wrote:I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw another dog in the backcountry, but I don't have a problem with them as long as their owners are responsible.

eshivey wrote:I say no trolls on 14ers either

Don't be ridiculous. What would we do on this site without the cut and paste brilliance of rustic and g? Were you around for the longmonster days? That guy was pure comic gold! And while not necessarily trolls, where would we be without the witty, accusatory, conservative v liberal banter between covfrrider and corduroycalves, et. al.? Trolls are as much a part of this site as dogs are a part of the backcountry.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner

Postby Mrwaffles989 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:32 am

My dog will eat you.

PreviousNext